Please Recommend Excellent 2.0 Channel Small Desktop Speakers

kage

n00b
I have the Logitech Z623 2.1 Channel speaker setup, AudioQuest Dragonfly v1.2 DAC, and a 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display. I will be selling my Logitech Z623 because they are not good for music. I want to purchase a really good sounding small desktop speaker set like the Audioengine A2+. The new speakers will be connect to my Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 DAC. Please recommend an excellent 2.0 speakers that are the same size as the Audioengine A2+ speakers or the Logitech Z623 speakers.

Audioengine A2+ is usually the benchmark for low cost monitor alike sound for cheap or those budget constrained.

Another good one is the Emotiva Pro Airmotiv.

If you can stretch your budget to possibly the best 2.0 made maybe Kef LS50's can be up your alley way.

The Emotiva Airmotiv 4S is quite a bit bigger than the Audioengine 2+. It is also quite a bit better. Seems to be on sale at the moment, so if it is not too big it would be the way to go.

Otherwise it is going to be hard to beat the Audioengine 2+ for size and price. The little audioengine is not perfect, but you will need to go bigger to get something better.

I use a pair of Mackie CR-3 powered monitors with my laptop. They're bigger than the Audioengine, but sound excellent. Only cost $100, too.

Last edited:
Nevermind....I missed your width requirements. LOL. Shame, really. I can't really think of anything else in this price range. Are you planning to just play music or use these for gaming too ( I see you have a Macbook though)? A lot of these very small speakers may leave you slightly wanting in the gaming department. I would get the Airmotiv 4's in the instance. It's only an inch (plus .25) bigger than your requirements.

Last edited:
SMSL SA50 amp ($70) - Micca MB42X speakers ($80) - Add a Dac/headphone amp if you want with the remaining budget. Something like the SMSL SD793ii ($60)

Back