Please recommend a mATX mobo/case!

NleahciM

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 2, 2002
Messages
3,517
Hi there - I am looking to build a new computer. I have already picked up two Hitachi 7K1000s for it (1TB, SATA). I plan on using this mostly as a development computer (coding, eCAD, occasional 3D CAD - nothing too fancy) but also as a sort of HTPC.

I would like to have cable in so that I can watch TV on it (I'm assuming this'd just be a PCI card, unless there's a better way). I don't plan on recording live TV, though if it didn't cost me anything to add that feature I would be happy. I will be using one of these bad boys: www.lavalink.com/index.php?id=232. I would like the two hard drives to be running in mirrored RAID. (preferably via a separate RAID card - if I have a free slot for it). I would like to be able to use a separate video card, instead of using integrated video. I'm planning on connecting two 24" LCDs. I'd like integrated sound. I'm thinking I'll go Intel - just because that seems to be the thing to do right now. I'll be adding in a DVD burner as well - probably a SATA one.

So - it looks like I'll probably need 3 PCI slots and 1 PCIEx16 slot. I might be able to go 2 PCI slots and 1 PCIx16 and 1 PCIx1 as I've seen that there are some PCIx1 video in cards. If there is a mobo with integrated RAID that would probably be worth looking at as well. It'll need 3 SATA ports. I do not plan on overclocking it.

As for cases - I'm thinking about the SG-01 or the X-QPack. I would like to stick with that general shape - but if there is a case that will cool better or run quieter - I'm all ears.

Suggestions? Budget is not a huge constraint here - I figure it'll last me long enough that an extra couple bucks ain't that big of a deal (my current computer is ~4 years old)


edit: forgot to mention that I also need gigabit ethernet as well as wireless. The wireless is not an immediate need so it might be OK to end up with a USB wireless adapter... but don't some mobos have wireless integrated as well?
 
I'm very happy with my rig, running in an x-qpack 2, with a ga-g33-ds2r. Pcie-x16 and x1, 2 pci, onboard sata raid, fairly decent onboard sound, and you can get it in just about any color now (incidentally, you can also buy replacement front bezels from aspire for like 5$+ shipping for just the colored bezel or 15+ ship for the entire assembly, if you want to change color)
 
Back
Top