• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please recomend a C# Windows Forms VS2008 book

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
2,467
Hey guys,

I'm starting to learn C#, and I've begun with Pro C# 2008 and the .NET 3.5 Platform, Fourth Edition. Its a great book that has really taught me a LOT about programming C#. However, I also want to jump into Windows Forms using Visual Studio 2008. Controls, text boxes, and all that jazz.

Does anyone have a good recommendation? I saw a link to Head First C# which looked interesting. Has anyone used it?

Thanks in advance!
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Everybody likes different books for different reasons. I really don't like the "Head First" series because the coverage of the material is between superficial and spotty, though I haven't seen the specific book you mention.

Chris Sells' WinForms book is pretty good, though it hasn't been updated since .NET 2.0.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Mikeblas -- I saw that one as well on my hunting. I guess there aren't THAT many differences between 2.0/VS2005 and 3.5/VS2008.

I think I'll pick it up -- thanks again :).
 
Search thru Amazon. You should probably find a more current edition than 2.0. Read the user reviews there and usually you can find a descent book.

Oh and head first books are really good.
 
I have that book too and it has been a great help, is very well layout out + It goes into much more depth than MSDN or any other resource for that matter.

The only place where it falls short is the new WPF stuff which to be far wasn't out at the time.
 
Search thru Amazon. You should probably find a more current edition than 2.0.
Nope; Chris hasn't updated it since the 2.0 edition. He decided to spend his time on a WPF book. Microsoft is trying to deprecate WinForms and promote WPF.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How is WPF? I should probably learn the latest greatest :). Maybe after I get some forms stuff under my belt I'll focus on that too.
 
Back
Top