- is very quiet
- can record two clear QAM HD channels simultaneously
- handle HD playback at the same time

Here's my build (items without links I already own):

- GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G - $100

- AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 Brisbane 2.1GHz 45w - $90

- G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 RAM - $45

- HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 1TB Hard Drive Retail - $300

- Samsung SpinPoint 250GB (Windows drive)

- Zalman 7700 AlCu

- Silicon Dust HDHomeRun

- Antec NSK2400

Is the 2.1Ghz CPU fast enough for HD playback and dual HD recordings? Should I wait a few weeks for the Athlon X2 4850e 2.5Ghz, which will retail at $89, while the 2350 will drop to $68?

Hmm, does your budget allow you to go another $100 or so dollars? If so you should get a video card. This will ensure smooth HD playback. You can get the HD2600XT or the 8600 GT OR something better. I wouldn't get anything lower than those though...

If you add in a video card, that rig would be more than suitable. If you don't, then I'm not too sure about the CPU. I don't know much about that one unfortunately :(. But everything else looks good!

If you were just looking at HD playback, you would be ok. I'm fairly certain the 780G has HD acceleration. But to record two HD shows AND play HD at the same time, that's a lot to ask for. I'm not sure the processor even overclocked could handle it. (thinking out loud) If the 780G could offload the HD playback entirely, that would leave one core each for recording while still running Windows and the software. For what you want to do, I think a quad core would be smart, the 9500 is only $100 more.

*The mobo has great HD decoding according to reviews and to people on avsforum so an extra video card shouldn't be needed. A friend of mine just picked up the same mobo and ram and is using a X2 4200 or 4400 so I'll be taking my hd dvd player down to test it. I can post back and let you know about the cpu usage for that.
*For the dual HD recordings and playback at the same time you may want to wait for the more powerful cpu to come out although VGplay may be right about needing a quadcore cpu for recording 2 and playing 1 HD source.
*Everything looks good, though. If you want to save about $50 you could go with a seagate 1tb drive with 32mb cache or the green WD drive to save on power.

I'm still waiting on the Athlon X2 4850e to come out :(

Does anyone know when AMD is releasing it?

Hmm, does your budget allow you to go another $100 or so dollars? If so you should get a video card. This will ensure smooth HD playback. You can get the HD2600XT or the 8600 GT OR something better. I wouldn't get anything lower than those though...

If you add in a video card, that rig would be more than suitable. If you don't, then I'm not too sure about the CPU. I don't know much about that one unfortunately :(. But everything else looks good!

Don't listen to this guy, nothing but worthless suggestions.

Your CPU should be fine for HD playback with the 780G but I would suggest going with this for several reasons: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103214

1.) Cheaper.
2.) Slightly faster while being cheaper.
3.) You'll hardly notice the dfference in heat output unless your going to shove your HTPC into an airless, cramped, TV stand of some sort.

Also, add a Mini Ninja to your list cause theres no way in hell you'll want to use a stock cooler in your HTPC. Thats just plain stupid due to how crappy they are in low ventilation cases. Other then that the second bonus is is that you can run it passively in an NSK2400.
Should I wait a few weeks for the Athlon X2 4850e 2.5Ghz, which will retail at $89, while the 2350 will drop to $68?
Its been something close to a month since AMD announced and "released" the 4850e and, yet, it's still MIA. If you have too wait another week to see if it finally shows up on someone's e-shelf or for the 2350 to drop in price. Otherwise, just by the X2 4200 and don't bother looking back.
Have you seen what Purevideo Decoder can do?
Doesn't matter if he's using Vista. The Purevideo decoder doesn't work in Vista and never will. If he's using XP then theres no better codec to use, it should be considered essential for XP systems.

Back