Please pick a camera for me...

nodle

[H]ard|Gawd
I think i posted awhile back about purchasing a new camera. Spring is coming on and i am in the mood to take photos again. I have it narrowed down to either a nikon D40 or a Canon rebel XT or rebel XTi . I really like to take macro ( with my el cheapo Hoyo closeup kit) I really want to get one soon but i am pulling my hair out ring to decide. I know the xti is the most expensive one out of the bunch, but i am not that professional. I just want a good clean image with the least noise in the photo. So if you had the money which one would you get? Thanks guys!:)

do you have any current gear? What kind of gear do your friends have? The reason that I ask that would be because if all of your friends are rolling Nikon and or Canon you could borrow lenses from them. That's what got me into Nikon.

Neither actually, i have heard some cheaper cameras, but no i am going in fresh.

Get the Canon. The D40 is sorely lacking in many areas.

I just posted this elsewhere, but with the Rebel XT or XTi, you'll want to replace the kit lens ASAP. The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is a ridiculous value in a sharp fast lens ($75), but you'll want a standard zoom range like the Canon 18-55mm IS ($170) to replace the kit lens.

Get the Canon. The D40 is sorely lacking in many areas.

I just posted this elsewhere, but with the Rebel XT or XTi, you'll want to replace the kit lens ASAP. The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is a ridiculous value in a sharp fast lens ($75), but you'll want a standard zoom range like the Canon 18-55mm IS ($170) to replace the kit lens.

Isn't the Canon 18-55mm lens just the default lens that it comes with?:confused:

Isn't the Canon 18-55mm lens just the default lens that it comes with?:confused:

He's actually talking about the IS (Image Stabilizer) version that was just released this year in Vegas. It actually has better optics than the standard kit lens and at ~$170 it is a steal. However, if you are strictly interested in macro then I agree with Kumquat, get the nifty fifty (Canon 50mm f/1.8) it is a stellar lens and for ~$80 it should be in everyones arsenal.

If you are not looking for anything to fancy, see about getting a used XT or XTi body from B&H, KEH or Adorama or even the POTN or Fred Miranda forums. The XT should run you less than $350 and the XTi slightly more.

What is your budget?

Out of your list I would get the XT or XTi. Nikons can get pretty noisy at low ISO(not the professional grades, but we are talking about the lower grades). Pair that up with a Tamron 17-55 and you will have a great kit.

The kit lens is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II. It's not very good. Images from it are decidedly soft.

The "new kit" lens, which comes with the XSi kit, is the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. Notice the IS at the end instead of the II. The II indiciates that that lens is the second version of the same lens. The IS version, on the other hand, has optical image stabilization built in - it's effective enough to let you photograph at 3 to 4 stops lower without blur (effectively, you can shoot at 1/8 to 1/16 of the normally-required shutter speed - if you need 1/50s to get a non-blurred photo without IS, you'll really only need 1/6s or 1/5s with IS). Further than just IS, the IS version of the lens is significantly sharper, especially at large apertures.

Well my budget was around $500-700 But i would like to maybe get an extra lens, case etc. I was thinking (like i said i'm no professional i just was a clean image/nice camera) maybe i should just get the rebel xt with maybe a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens and just call it good. I do have another question though. Do you know if my HOYO 55mm macro lenses will go on the xt without a adapter?

This lens the Canon 50mm f/1.8 is it way better than the stock one that comes with it then?

Don't get the 75-300mm. The 55-250mm IS lens is about to come out at $299 (a month or two), and IS is *really* important at long focal lengths because hand shake is greatly magnified.

Your HOYA lens won't work with the XT.

I'd suggest the XT body with the 18-55mm IS lens ($379 + $170 = $549). The 18-55mm IS lens is way better than the 18-55mm II lens that comes in the XT "kit." You'll only spend $100 more to get this combo but get much better performance out of it than the "kit." Then add the 55-250mm IS later.

The 50mm f/1.8 is much faster, but it has a fixed focal length and can have some trouble focusing in low light. It's a great lens to have, but you really don't want it as your only lens.

So you think i should just wait till the new stuff comes out then?

No.

"I'd suggest the XT body with the 18-55mm IS lens ($379 + $170 = $549). The 18-55mm IS lens is way better than the 18-55mm II lens that comes in the XT "kit." You'll only spend $100 more to get this combo but get much better performance out of it than the "kit." Then add the 55-250mm IS later."

All of this is available now. You can go to Abe's of Maine and get the XT body and 18-55mm IS lens for $558 shipped.

No.

"I'd suggest the XT body with the 18-55mm IS lens ($379 + $170 = $549). The 18-55mm IS lens is way better than the 18-55mm II lens that comes in the XT "kit." You'll only spend $100 more to get this combo but get much better performance out of it than the "kit." Then add the 55-250mm IS later."

All of this is available now. You can go to Abe's of Maine and get the XT body and 18-55mm IS lens for $558 shipped.

Oh ok i got ya, i will go check it out. Thank you sir!

That's the one.

Mine is getting delivered today. By all accounts, it blows the old kit lens out of the water. Plus it has IS. It's a steal.

I've ordered a ton of stuff from them. They've been around a long time.

My only complaint is that they'll occasionally call you up and try to sell you on an extra battery or filter or something, but if you say no they don't bother you.

D40 has some major shortcomings:

1) Only 3 autofocus points (7 on the XT and 9 on the XTi)
2) No autofocus drive built-in; requires more expensive AF-S and AF-I lenses. The standard Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 lenses are manual-focus only on the D40.
3) The XT has 33% more pixels
4) No exposure bracketing
5) No hard button for ISO *or* white balance

The D40 is somewhat "crippled" in terms of what's expected from a modern DSLR. It performs well (as well as the XT), but it's rather limited in terms of features.

For starting out at the low end like this, I'd definitely suggest Canon. If starting out with more money, it's worth looking at Nikon's D300 and so forth.. but, IMO, D40 vs XT is a no-brainer.

Is an amazing camera. Check out Dpreview.com for reviews and do not miss this guys review of it as well.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

link to a side by side comparison of the XTi and D40
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...side&cameras=canon_eos400d,nikon_d40&show=all

The D40 has much faster Flash X-Sync: 1/500 sec where as the XTi has • Flash X-Sync: 1/200 sec - this equates to being able to shoot much faster moving objects with flash in darker light to get more good action photos..so that said, the type of things you might be considering shooting should not be over looked...

Be sure the check out the in-depth reviews of each as well as dpreview.com

Guys around here will tell you what they bought but that guy is as objective as it gets.
I have had the D70 and the D80 and some hands on time with the D200 as well. Bottom line is this...Hold the different cameras and see which one feels best to you, mind your budget, and lastly..people take great photos...not cameras....So many people around here want everyone to have "they" have....make your own decision by looking at the facts and holding the camera personally...A good photographer will take as good or better photos with a "lesser" camera than any other person that just has money to spend.

For good prices on any camera though check the cameta.com ebay store...No I am not affiliated with them.

Ice.

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone linked to Ken's site, LOL

As crazy as he talks some times he has some good advice. :)

He does, but I think that I (and other newbies) would find the 3 AF points far too limiting... and the fact that AF lenses do not autofocus is just nuts. Most third-party lenses, and many of Nikon's lenses (including just about all of their standard and telephoto primes), as far as I can tell, are AF, not AF-S.

The Nikon lenses are more expensive in general, too.

I have to counter you on the lens expense piece...There is not a lot of difference in cost for the higher end lenses. In fact quite the opposite is true in several cases I have encountered. The 3 AF points will not be as big of an issue as it seems you may think. I suggest you take some serious looks at the photos taken with both cameras. Another feature of the Nikons that a lot of people really like is that the Nikon has the dedicated AF assist lamp and does not require the flash to be strobed..That can do serious damage to pictures in low light and not to mention, it will get you groaned at in public settings...it all depends on what you will shoot and thinking in real world terms about what you need instead of spec sheets...I respect your affinity for Canon products. They make good devices...but Nikon has been more of the innovation company when it comes to DSLR cameras...Nikon started first with DSLRs and then started encroaching on Canons digital P&S market...Canon started with DP&S and then integrated all the features that were innovated by the likes of Kodak and Nikon...Actually Canon started with Photo Copy machines I think....

As for the AF lens...Nikon has started manufacturing new updated lenses with the technology required to work well in the new cameras..As cameras get smaller and they all are, the AF motors have to transition to somewhere...has to be to the lens..The older ones will work for manual focus....There is something to be said for manual focusing. Tons of pro guys will use lenses that don't AF. Notice I said pro guys...not newbies, especially for Macro photography...Most newbs will not be purchasing a bunch of older lenses and will most likely pick up the new AF-s lenses anyway and when they get out of auto mode they can manual focus and nikon lens they want...The XTi and D40 are not marketed as pro grade..thus they use the newer lens systems. D40 being smaller of the two I believe made the leap first to lens mount AF systems.

The OP, hold the cameras and see which one you like best Canon or Nikon or Pentax or Sony...enjoy what you get and just take photos and do not worry so much about the camera specs...Once you get intimate with your camera and really know what makes it pop you will really be enjoying photos instead of snap shots.

D40 is an okay camera if you can deal with lousy AF, no AF with non-AF-S lenses, lack of bracketing and minimal features.

I have a D40x. It is okay. It is not great by any means. I'm selling it to procure a D70/s

I know you are all going to be disappointed in me but i ended up going with a Rebel XT. The price is good on them right now, and like i said i am not all that professional. I just plan on saving my money and buying a couple of good lenses to go along with it. What does every one think of the Tamron 70-300mm 1:2 F/4-5.6 DI LD Macro FS=62 lens for it? I was looking at the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens, but the Tamron seems to be alot better.

It's a great camera, you won't be disappointed.

That Tamron is a poorly rated lens. The Canon 75-300mm III is regarded as better, but the Sigma 70-300mm APO is generally regarded as the best super telephoto in the range (though it does soften a bit as it gets to 300mm).

Canon has the 55-250mm IS coming out next month I think for about $300. It seems to be excellent for the price - IS is super useful at such long focal lengths. I suggest you wait and get it instead.

No one here is disappointed that you got the XT. You got what you wanted and are happy with it which is all that really matters. Head on over to the Photography On The Net Canon forums and join. There is a wealth of knowledge there. I have been skulking around for a month and have picked up on a lot and they are a great community for asking questions, very nice and willing to help.

Also, check out their Lens Sample Image archive as it gives good representations of the lenses as well as general pricing..

The 18-55mm IS lens is so much better than the XT's kit lens, it'd be stupid to pass up the deal.

So even if he bought the XT for $370 new, $450 with that lens is a good deal?

Back