Please limit profanity on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I would like to ask you on behalf of me and many of the people who feel the same way on these situtations. First and foremost I love the HardOCP forum, and am glad to be activity contributing to it regularily. But as of recently I must say that what I have read recently begins to sicken me. More and more often we are getting such language on this forum that is very unapropriate. I can not dare look at this site at work, or in a public computing facility. Very often there are many posts, and topics which have a heavy use of inflamitory words. I beg of you please take a harder stance of this. I would like for many of my family members to enjoy the site as much as I do. I know you can not control what people will say in this public domain, but if you could please have a punishment, or rules that prohibit this behavior.
Thank you.

P.S. Though you may easily find examples of this behavior if you choose to I have save many post refering to what I address to you.

The rules permit profanity in the body of the post only as stated here:

(7) No CUSSING in the thread title. It is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity dammit.

and:

(22) No active links, graphics, cussing or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Sig line is limited to 10 lines total as viewed @ 800 x 600 resolution or no more that 15 words per line.

It has been this way since the beginning. This has been deemed work safe since you have to actually read the posts to detect the profanity. Policing the language of members is not realistic in practice. If excessive profanity is used, feel free to use the 'report this thread' icon under each post. The moderator or an admin will take corrective action if warranted in each situation.

Great_Melinko said:
this thread fucking sucks. :eek:

edit: y helo thar MajorDomo :D

Thank you for proving how immature it has come to be.

I try to bring up a sensible topic, but instead get more mockery, which the moderators, and adminsitrators seem to encourage.

We neither approve nor disapprove, simply restating the rules that have been in place for the past five years, which you read and signed off on when you registered ;)

Yes. The swearing and SPELLING mistakes make it hard to show this site to my fellow colleagues here at Harvard.

So learn the appropriate spelling of each word, and refrain from using "potty-mouth" words.

And after our naps, we'll have milk and cookies! :p

It seems to have worked fine like it is for many years. I really don't see it as much of a problem. If you don't like it then you don't have to look at it.

I am utterly offended at this thread. You shall never take away my right to swear. Fucking never. If you are offended, you dont have to read what I or others say.

The Titan said:
I am utterly offended at this thread. You shall never take away my right to swear. Fucking never. If you are offended, you dont have to read what I or others say.

You are right in one aspect. I can not take your right to swear away. But I, and others do have to read it. It only proves to show you have no maturity and poor grammer. If you must result to such a low form of speech than that is fine, be uneducated. It just stupifies me how no one will take a stance and just say "hey lets try and keep our forums clean". Sure we can take some F-Bombs here and there but what I am reffering to is simply stuff like this.
F***king F**got go get a F***king clue..ect ect.

independantvariable said:
Sure we can take some F-Bombs here and there but what I am reffering to is simply stuff like this.
F***king F**got go get a F***king clue..ect ect.

Name calling and flaming is against forum rules so stuff like that can easily be reported to a moderater and the person will be dealt with.

I'm active in several different forums on the board and i havn't seen the profanity to be too overly explicit.

How about you link us to a few of the threads you have a problem with.

Just remember the bolded part fellas.

(7) No CUSSING in the thread title. It is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity dammit.

What bothers me is the people that use substitues for certain swear words, or replacing characters with symbols. Examples: farkin, f#ck, $hit, @$$, the list goes on and on.

The people who use such are the ones that I suggest be warned/banned.

theDot said:
What bothers me is the people that use substitues for certain swear words, or replacing characters with symbols. Examples: farkin, f#ck, $hit, @$$, the list goes on and on.

The people who use such are the ones that I suggest be warned/banned.

i use these heavily to avoid swearing. it's less offensive to see %^(^!@@%&@)&$))#*#&$^#@ then the actual swearing... which i won't post.

I'm not offended by swearing really, though I tend to not swear myself. However, people that swear left and right without thought for others preferences can be lumped into the same group of people that do these other things:

1. Yell and scream at someone when their fast food isn't done in .3 seconds, regardless of the effort of a worker or even things beyond a workers control. They don't care that by causing an unnecessary scene they are probably extending the time it will take for people behind them to order and receive their food. But of course they don't care about anyone else. They are #1!

2. Smoke wherever the hell they want without caring whether or not somebody two feet from them may have asthma or may be bothered by it. It's their right to smoke! Forget someones right to breathe clean air. They can be the one inconvenienced because I have to do my thing (oh wait, no you don't).

3. Freeloaders that scream and argue when a price tag is wrong and are beligerent about a store HAVING to honor it though it may have policies that state otherwise. Or the ones that dishonestly RMA stuff. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us honest retail buyers. But of course you don't care. We are beneath you.

In a nutshell, people that fit this bill are people that don't care to pull their weight in making the human race a better place. They are arrogant, egotistical, selfish, etc. They only care about their rights ignoring any rights that others might have. Here's the most common arguments:

1."It's my right to free speech, screw your right to be able to enjoy being here. Sure I can get my point across EASILY without swearing profusedly, but I really don't care who might be reading this and how they might feel. What's important is that I get to be cool with words! I don't want this to be a place for everyone, I want it to be MY place."

2. "If you don't like it don't read it." It's kind of hard to know when there are no swearwords in the title. You have to click the link on a post and have already read it to know there is swearing. "But hey its not my reponsibility to make intelligent posts that are perfectly readable to 100% of people out there. I prefer to alienate and possibly expose kids to stuff they shouldn't read. Why should I care, doesn't affect my life." The point is you could excersize a little more tact, but you don't care about others, remember?

As I said, the swearing really doesn't bother me. And swearing isn't really "wrong" or anything like that. If you swear you aren't a bad person. Its if you swear obsessively without regard for others where it begins to be an issue, just like most things in life. What really bothers me is the lack of respect for others and the "Me me me" attitude that is generally 100% associated with it. It makes me sad. :(

Just to throw my two cents in, some threads are occassionally marked "NWS" or "NSFW"
they mean "not safe for work".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back