• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PLease, I need your help making up my mind?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
4,628
I currently own a 8800GTS 640MB clocked @ 648core 1600MHz shaders 2000Mem, and TBH with you, plays all my games GREAT! Was thinking of this however, and wanted to get ya'lls opinion first. I was thinking of X-Firing 2 3870 512MB cards together **IF** there will be a NOTICABLE performance difference? What do you all think??? Thank you;)
 
There would probably be a noticeable improvement... but why if your current card already runs games fine?
 
Crossfire does have advantages but it's not clearcut, you get tops 1.5 times the single-card performance which brings the pair of 3870's right up to stock GTX levels. But that's assuming it works. I think even in certain games it is completely broken, you get worse performance than you do in single-card mode. While it does work well for other games, often you can't use Crossfire right at the game's release until the profile becomes available. Even assuming properly working Crossfire on a pair of 3870's, the difference won't really be astonishing... it's more of a sidegrade, really. If I had to I'd rather spend the money on another GTS and SLI it, the old models are probably cheap and going for a song with the new GTS incoming.
 
Crossfire does have advantages but it's not clearcut, you get tops 1.5 times the single-card performance which brings the pair of 3870's right up to stock GTX levels. But that's assuming it works. I think even in certain games it is completely broken, you get worse performance than you do in single-card mode. While it does work well for other games, often you can't use Crossfire right at the game's release until the profile becomes available. Even assuming properly working Crossfire on a pair of 3870's, the difference won't really be astonishing... it's more of a sidegrade, really. If I had to I'd rather spend the money on another GTS and SLI it, the old models are probably cheap and going for a song with the new GTS incoming.
Very good points you bring up, and I would LOVE to be able to purchase anoth GTS card, but being that im using a P35 based motherboard, SLi just wont happen:(
 
Back
Top