Please help with XP Home networking issue.

k-space

Weaksauce
I know I know XP Home networking issue about says it all but what I'm seeing is driving me nuts and I'm at my wits end. I have crappy little (but fairly new) Compaq machine with XP Home on it for my daughter which suddenly won't connect to our internal network at all. When I run ipconfig I get a message saying "The request is not supportted...unable to query host name." So I figured I'd try pinging the machine itself. When I ping localhost I get "Unable to connect to IP driver, error code 2". The NIC is installed, has all the usual items (client for MS networks, file and printer sharing and TCP/IP protocal), and shows as working correctly. I've verified the ethernet cable and port are working with another computer. When I disconnect the cable I get the standard cable unplugged warning so the computer is aware there's a cable connected. I figured the onboard NIC must just have some problems so I disabled it and installed another NIC I had which I know works. After install of the drivers, same story. Everything looks like it should be working but ipconfig and ping both fail. This computer is about a year old and has nothing on it but a couple kids games. It's never received email and has only visited about 3 or 4 websites (Disney etc) so the likelyhood of a virus is pretty remote. Like I said I'm at my wits end and I'm basically out of ideas. Any suggestions you might have would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,

Dane R. Vinson

>>suddenly won't connect to our internal network at all.

When did this suddenly happen, what else changed?

Does a static IP address work?

Did you uninstall a Norton product?

If so, try this:

Win2K or WinXP
Cause of problem trying to uninstall Norton AntiVirus or System. I have DHCP problem fix.
I got 2 Solution First try this.
* from the Start Menu select run
* type 'regedit' and click OK
* open the following folders, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, and finally Dhcp.
* Double-click the key DependOnService
* remove what will probably be the last item in the list, something like SYMTDI. Leave everything else alone
* click OK.
* close RegEdit and reboot.

DHCP should work again.

Should a problem come up (messing up the registry entries) you can also press F8 (or is it F5?) and select Use Last Known Good Configuration from the boot menu. That will restore various registry entries to what was used last.

I'm not sure why Norton installs this key. For some types of firewall software a dependency like this is added to ensure the firewall is running before DHCP grabs an address. Of course, Norton Anti-Virus should have removed this dependency when it was unistalled. Clearly its a bug in the uninstall routine.

Second Solution
To edit the registry:

1.Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
2.Type regedt32.exe in the Run box, and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
3.In the left pane, navigate to each of the following subkeys:
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT
4.In the right pane, double-click the item DependOnService.
5.Delete any references to SYMTDI or NISDRV.
6.Click Registry and click Exit to save the changes and close the Registry Editor.

I got this form here:

http://www.techwarelabs.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3131

After Googling: ipconfig "The request is not supported"

Lol. Yeah I saw that same entry just a few minutes before starting this thread.

Nope no Norton.
I first noticed that there was a problem about a week ago but I'm not sure when it started. Like I said it's my youngest daughters computer so it's pretty rare that we use it for any type of networking (internet or LAN). The only thing that has changes since the time I knew it was working was the install of 4 or 5 kids games. Such games can be quite buggy but none of them uses any type of network connectivity. I certainly can't rule out the possibility that one of them caused it but it seems unlikely to me.

Back