Please help with a new computer build!

spectrumbx

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
1,647
I just built a computer with the following parts:

- Diskmake Demon 600W PSU
- SOYO Dragon SY-P4I865PE Plus dragon 2 v1
- p4 3ghz 512k with TT XP-120 heatsink and Artic silver 5
- radeon 9200se agp
- 4 x 1gb sticks of ram (Patriot)
- Antec full tower case
- 2 x WD 120 GB

Now:
1. When I power on the system, sometimes I get no "boot beep" and no video, but all the fans spins
2. if I hit reset (sometimes take a few tries) I get the "boot beep" and video
3. however, when in the BIOS the system freezes
4. I have done a BIOS update, but no improvement
5. I have cleared the CMOS and loaded the default, but no improvement
6. the cpu temp reads at 30-32c for the CPU and 26-28c for the case (side panels open)
7. I do not get any error type beep

I am stuck as I need to setup the BIOS before doing anything else.

Please help!
 
spectrumbx said:
I just built a computer with the following parts:

- Diskmake Demon 600W PSU


And who makes this powersupply?

I'm betting the thing weighs less than 3 lbs.. :)
 
Simple question first. Is the moniter hooked up and does the graphics card keep running? Also check your memory.
 
Well, I found the motherboard to be defective.

I have a new mobo in (soyo Dragon 875P Plus v 1.0), but now the temps are:

case: 28-29c
cpu idle: 44c
cpu after 12 hours of memtest86+: 44c

I reset the cpu twice (cleaned the old as5 application and reapplied new coat) and it made no difference...

Puzzled... :(
 
Soyo doesn't make the best motherboards, I'm willing to bet its the PSU or the motherboard.
 
Your temps are fine. Get a new powersupply. Or take off some hardware (which obviously wont happen). So yeah, just get a new psu.
 
Passive Anubis said:
Your temps are fine. Get a new powersupply. Or take off some hardware (which obviously wont happen). So yeah, just get a new psu.

I have said, I have found the mobo to be defective.
The old defective mobo was reading the temps at 30-32c for the CPU and 26-28c for the case.

Now the new mobo is reading the case pretty much the same (26-28c), but 43-45c (44 mostly) for the cpu.
That's more than a 10c difference in reading for only the cpu. :(

The PSU is cheap, but I think it is good.
it is this one: here
 
Ok, after running prime95 for hours the temp is still at 44-45c.

Something is wrong with the new board as far as reading temps.

... puff!....
 
Back
Top