Please help with a (basic?!) 3d output question

zoulias

Weaksauce
Hi guys,

I excitedly bought a 3d TV (Samsung h6700), 3d blue ray drive (LG), Nero w/codecs, Maxwell 980 and the latest HDMI cable with the (ancillary) aim of being able to play 3d blue ray disks.

Well, I tried that today and in short no combination of 3d settings on the monitor would make it work - the NERO screen would simply tell me that the DVD had failed to detect a 3d monitor as being in place.

Eventually I came across Nvidia's 3DTV trial and that worked, although bizarrely it disables the TV's 3d settings. Now, I wouldn't mind buying that and be done with it - if you could actually buy the thing! It seems the only way to get the software is to buy the 3d vision kit, which only works with 120hz monitors that I don't have.

So not wanting to spend £120 odd just to get a piece of software for a card I've already bought - which seems incredible on Nvidia's part, I'm left wondering if I'm missing something. Should the HDMI link work without this software or is this a monopoly situation? Can I not play DVD's without a stand-alone player and direct link to the TV? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

PJ

You should be able to purchase the 3DTV Play unlocker from NVIDIA by itself, without needing to buy the 3D Vision 2 kit. I think it's $30. The link to purchase is in the middle of the page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

When a source is sending your TV 3D content it is automatically displayed in 3D without the need for user input. The 3D options on a TV are usually for converting a 2D image into 3D, so it would be natural that the TV would disable the 3D options when it's receiving 3D content. This is what happens on my TV when using either 3DTV Play on my PC or watching a 3D Blu-ray movie on my PS3.

It may also have to do with Nero, but I don't have any experience with it. I do know that WinDVD Pro 11 works with 3DTV Play without any extra fiddling required because that is what I use. My TV is a Samsung UN40FH6030 for reference.

The 3D Vision kit is only for 3D Vision-enabled games and displays on the PC. It has nothing to do with 3D televisions.

You should be able to purchase the 3DTV Play unlocker from NVIDIA by itself, without needing to buy the 3D Vision 2 kit. I think it's $30. The link to purchase is in the middle of the page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

When a source is sending your TV 3D content it is automatically displayed in 3D without the need for user input. The 3D options on a TV are usually for converting a 2D image into 3D, so it would be natural that the TV would disable the 3D options when it's receiving 3D content. This is what happens on my TV when using either 3DTV Play on my PC or watching a 3D Blu-ray movie on my PS3.

It may also have to do with Nero, but I don't have any experience with it. I do know that WinDVD Pro 11 works with 3DTV Play without any extra fiddling required because that is what I use. My TV is a Samsung UN40FH6030 for reference.

The 3D Vision kit is only for 3D Vision-enabled games and displays on the PC. It has nothing to do with 3D televisions.

Thanks, unfortunately you need a US card / address for that. The UK site won't let you buy - it has the button but it doesn't actually let you buy it, just download the trial. Weird...

Thanks everyone else also for your suggestions. I'll test them once my 14 day trial is over!

Thanks, unfortunately you need a US card / address for that. The UK site won't let you buy - it has the button but it doesn't actually let you buy it, just download the trial. Weird...

Thanks everyone else also for your suggestions. I'll test them once my 14 day trial is over!
Try this:
http://store.nvidia.com/DRHM/store?...idia&Locale=en_GB&Env=BASE&categoryID=5621900

Listed for £26.04. About $40 US, which is what it goes for here. My initial $30 claim was wrong.

Back