PLEASE HELP!! Video scrambled after WC install

Status
Not open for further replies.
cornelious0_0 said:
If you would actually go through with that you've got some messed up values, but do what you'd like.....I'm done with this.

This isn't about values, its one groups opinions versus another. You guys are assuming he messed his card up. However, the evidence points to the contrary and yes technically he broke his warranty by removing the stock cooler but come on, thats not reason enough to deny him RMA. I think some of you guys have abnormally high moral expectations for insignificant things. You don't think companies like ATi anticipate an X amt of RMA's? The bean counters in those large companies take every single red cent into account so I doubt his RMA'ing a 9800 pro hurt anyone. Unless you or someone else can prove otherwise, flaming him or anyone else for RMA is nonsense.

MFZ said:
yes technically he broke his warranty by removing the stock cooler but come on, thats not reason enough to deny him RMA.

:confused:
last time I checked that was the whole point of a warranty, guidelines for an acceptable rma

That's like saying this:

officer: "You're under arrest for Grand Larceny. You're coming down to the station"
you: "Come on officer buddy old pal, just because I broke the law that's no reason to send me to jail!"
officer: "Thats the point of the law buddy"
you: "But I didn't kill anyone (referring to how he wasn't vmodding)
officer: "But you still broke the law :rolleyes: "

See what I'm saying?

tbh though I don't know what I would do in that situation myself, as it's never happened to me yet (knocks on wood) so I won't go and try to be all holier than thou, but that statement is just plain retarded

computerpro3 said:
:confused:
last time I checked that was the whole point of a warranty, guidelines for an acceptable rma

That's like saying this:

officer: "You're under arrest for Grand Larceny. You're coming down to the station"
you: "Come on officer buddy old pal, just because I broke the law that's no reason to send me to jail!"
officer: "Thats the point of the law buddy"
you: "But I didn't kill anyone (referring to how he wasn't vmodding)
officer: "But you still broke the law :rolleyes: "

See what I'm saying?

tbh though I don't know what I would do in that situation myself, as it's never happened to me yet (knocks on wood) so I won't go and try to be all holier than thou, but that statement is just plain retarded

If removing the hsf was the cause of the cards faliure I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, given the fact that he did not damage the card by doing so, he shouldn't be held accountable for it. I already acknowledged that I'm aware of it being part of the warranty contract, but I personally don't think its wrong to use RMA if the card fails on its own, even if the hsf was removed. BTW the analogy is flawed, he's not commiting a crime.

cornelious0_0 said:
If you would actually go through with that you've got some messed up values, but do what you'd like.....I'm done with this.

Get a grip, screwed up morals would be like me buying a x800 XT PE from best buy, and then swapping the serial number stickers with an old ATI card, and returning it. The new card works fine, and I did the same exact installation on the waterblock with the new one as I did on the dead one.

It doesn't get much clearer than this folks. Straight from ATI:

http://www.ati.com/support/rma/warranty.html

This warranty does not apply to the software component of a product or a product which has been damaged due to accident, misuse, abuse, improper installation, usage not in accordance with product specifications and instructions, natural or personal disaster, or unauthorized alterations, repairs or modifications.

Unauthorized repairs to an ATI board level product will void the warranty offered by ATI Technologies. ATI reserves the right to refuse to service any product which has been altered, modified or repaired by non-ATI service personnel.

You went and took the friggin heatsink and fan off of your 9800 and slapped on a WC unit. Are you an ATI service personnel? No? Oh, well guess what. YOU VOIDED YOUR WARRANTY. Quit being a whiney baby and deal with the fact that you should have tested the card before putting the waterblock, or any other kind of cooling, on it.

MFZ said:
Yeah well I don't take advice from painters and I doubt the thread starter does either. :rolleyes: If RMA'ing angers Jesus and Buddah strikes us with lightning and bad karma, so be it.

No, not a painter. A professional aircraft painter. I's a highly technical job, unline anything you know. At high speed a painted aircraft can have it's paint delaminate from the fuselage, so you have to be REALLY good to do it, and he was. When a paint job costs youan exuberant ammount of money, you don't just hire anyone. He painted Boeing jet aircraft, not 2-seat and 4-seat aircraft.

And it's a shame you don't... he was apparently MUCH wiser than you.

MFZ said:
This isn't about values, its one groups opinions versus another. You guys are assuming he messed his card up. However, the evidence points to the contrary and yes technically he broke his warranty by removing the stock cooler but come on, thats not reason enough to deny him RMA. I think some of you guys have abnormally high moral expectations for insignificant things. You don't think companies like ATi anticipate an X amt of RMA's? The bean counters in those large companies take every single red cent into account so I doubt his RMA'ing a 9800 pro hurt anyone. Unless you or someone else can prove otherwise, flaming him or anyone else for RMA is nonsense.

Uh, yes, it is about values, and more specifically, MORALS. Some people have none apparently, and then wonder why so many nations and peoples hate us. Take a good look in the mirror you decadant asshole.

MFZ said:
If removing the hsf was the cause of the cards faliure I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, given the fact that he did not damage the card by doing so, he shouldn't be held accountable for it.

It worked before, but didn't work immediately after... Hmmm... Prove that he DIDN"T. Just because the second card worked doesn't mean he didn't damage the first one.

SocceRich20 said:
Get a grip, screwed up morals would be like me buying a x800 XT PE from best buy, and then swapping the serial number stickers with an old ATI card, and returning it. The new card works fine, and I did the same exact installation on the waterblock with the new one as I did on the dead one.

No, it also applies to returning a product after you broke it, which I'm even more convinced you did since you felt you had to post about how you didn't, then go on and on with defending yourself.

It's a guilty concience. You aren't sure in your own mind so you are seeking validation from others for your actions, after you present your side of the story (I didn't do it... RIGHT?).

It's nice to see that SOME people here understand what I'm talking about and are on "the right side of the tracks".....and for those of you who still don't "understand" that whether something is damaged from removing the HSF or not, it still voids your warranty, and if it's something completely different that dmg's the card, you STILL have no warranty.....call ATI and see what they say, I have a feeling that some of you would be put in your place quite quick.

For those of you who would RMA the card anyways....there's nothing that can be done for you, I just hope that you don't end up influencing other to do the same in scenarios like this, as we don't need anymore ppl who approach instances like this with that kind of attitude.

Now we just sit back and wait for the thread to be locked.....

My advice still stands: it is best to be patient and thoroughly test your equipment before you do anything to it so you aviod the moral dilemma in the first place.

And, like the old saying goes: you break it, you buy it. It's not hard to tell who broke what when you stress test something and it works fine, then you make a change to it and it does not work.

thewhiteguy said:
Yes he is.

No, he is not. It is not a crime. He may be violating a commercial agreement with ATI but unless ATI takes action there are no consequences. And if ATI does, that still does not make it a "crime." It is a tort if anything.

RS said:
No, he is not. It is not a crime. He may be violating a commercial agreement with ATI but unless ATI takes action there are not consequences. And if ATI does, that still does not make it a "crime." It is a tort if anything.

Oh my GOOD GOD......do you even realise what you're saying??? You're saying that if someone steals something and doesn't get caught it's not a crime.....think about what you just said for more then 2 seconds.

Violating any kind of "agreement" like this IS illegal...as those agreements are basically contracts that go along with their hardware, that they expect the public to abide by. Losing a card after voiding the warranty by taking off the cooler (even if it wasnt that that killed/dmg'd it) and then RMA'ing the card IS a crime.....it doesn't matter if he gets caught.....do I have to get caught stealing a PS2 game to make it a crime or illegal.

I just hope that some of you ppl that are actually believing garbage like this woudl turn around and listen to how you sound......because I was kind of dumbfounded to hear something seriously saying that it's basically "ok" as long as he doesnt get caught. :rolleyes:

Cornelius, you don't understand the definition of "crime." What I am saying is not a matter of opinion, it is stating a factual legal circumstances surrounding his conduct.

Take a deep breath and be careful about the wording when experessing your opinions. A tort that is very disagreeable to you is still not a crime no matter how much hand-waving and "OMG OMG" you throw at it.

RS said:
Cornelius, you don't understand the definition of "crime." What I am saying is not a matter of opinion, it is stating a factual legal circumstances surrounding his conduct.

Take a deep breath and be careful about the wording when experessing your opinions. A tort that is very disagreeable to you is still not a crime no matter how much hand-waving and "OMG OMG" you throw at it.

Please do not tell me what I do and don't understand.....what I'm saying is that doing something that voids your warranty and then later ending up with a card that for one reason or another isn't working, or working properly.....it is NOT right to RMA that said card and act like you had nothing to do with what happened.

Spin your words whichever way you'd like, but whether removing the cooler had anything to do with it or not, it is NOT acceptable to RMA something to get a working replacement after you willingly voided your warranty.

Of course ATI isn't going to be able to tell if you simply took off the cooler, but it's an issue of ethics and morals here....something which some of you seem to be in short supply of.

A couple days after I installed my watercooling my video card started flaking out on me, artifacts in gaming and distortion on the desktop. I put another card in there and it worked fine, and I hadn't messed with the old graphics card ( no watercooling it) so I just went ahead and RMA"d it. Got a new one in and haven't had a problem since, I don't even think it was related to the h20 but just thought it was interesting you were having the same problem....

Good lord there are far to many ppl these days that find it perfectly acceptable to RMA something after they've voided the warranty on their hardware.....whatever.....I guess "you break it you buy it" isn't clear enough for some people. :rolleyes:

cornelious0_0 said:
Good lord there are far to many ppl these days that find it perfectly acceptable to RMA something after they've voided the warranty on their hardware.....whatever.....I guess "you break it you buy it" isn't clear enough for some people. :rolleyes:

I did nothing to break the warranty. Took the card out of the box, installed it into my system, and it stopped functioning properly after a month or two. If I had put a waterblock or something on it, I wouldn't have RMA'd it as that is a violation of the warranty. I hadn't messed with it at all when I installed watercooling, and as I said, I think it was just a coicidence as it happened several days later. (The night before quakecon no less :( )

I think this was a misunderstanding with stumpy. He did not WC his card, just the CPU, thus making the RMA of his card legit.

For all the other "moral-less" people out there....

FRAUD
Pronunciation: 'frod
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English fraude, from Middle French, from Latin fraud-, fraus
1 a : DECEIT, TRICKERY; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : TRICK
2 a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : IMPOSTOR; also : one who defrauds : CHEAT b : one that is not what it seems or is represented to be
synonym see DECEPTION, IMPOSTURE

stumpy said:
I hadn't messed with it at all when I installed watercooling

Please clarify on if you installed watercooling just "in general" or if it was on the card or what. Reading it the third time it sounds as though the h2O wasnt ON the card....but if you're going to be saying something like that in a topic/discussion like this make sure that you clarify stuff like that.

stumpy said:
I did nothing to break the warranty. Took the card out of the box, installed it into my system, and it stopped functioning properly after a month or two. If I had put a waterblock or something on it, I wouldn't have RMA'd it as that is a violation of the warranty. I hadn't messed with it at all when I installed watercooling, and as I said, I think it was just a coicidence as it happened several days later. (The night before quakecon no less :( )
In the context of this thread, your comment makes us think you watercooled your video card. That's what cornelious0_0 was talking about when he responded.

Edit: Beaten by a minute! :eek:

stumpy said:
and I hadn't messed with the old graphics card ( no watercooling it)

I thought this was clear enough that there was no watercooling on the GPU ;)

And as I said originally, I just thought it was interesting that the problems were similar. That's all....

Please do not tell me what I do and don't understand

It is clear you don't understand what is the definition of crime. I am doing you a favor pointing it out and giving you an opportunity to improve your ability to communicate clearly. But by all means feel free to reject my advice :D

I'm suprised SocceRich or a mod hasn't locked this already. Anyway...quite a lively debate.

RS said:
It is clear you don't understand what is the definition of crime. I am doing you a favor pointing it out and giving you an opportunity to improve your ability to communicate clearly. But by all means feel free to reject my advice :D

Now you're just getting plain irritating.....I know full-well what you're trying to do by sounding like that, and it is NOT appreciated. If you can't leave well enough alone here and show a little respect then I dunno what else I can say. I'm not trying to twist my words around at all.....and you're really starting to get on my nerves the way you're wording your posts.

I've already PM'd to have this thread locked, as there's no conceivable reason to keep it up the way this is going, but if that doesn't happen in the next little while I guess my ignore list will grow one more notch.

You're way too emotional. Just read what other write, take what you like, leave what you don't and chill.

RS said:
You're way too emotional. Just read what other write, take what you like, leave what you don't and chill.

Normally I do, but with the amount I'm around here I'm a little more then a casual browser, and I've lost the ability to just "ignore" some types of posts and comments.

I never mean anything personal, but there are some people and attitudes floating around here that REALLY don't need to be here.

cornelious0_0 said:
Now you're just getting plain irritating.....I know full-well what you're trying to do by sounding like that, and it is NOT appreciated. If you can't leave well enough alone here and show a little respect then I dunno what else I can say. I'm not trying to twist my words around at all.....and you're really starting to get on my nerves the way you're wording your posts.

I've already PM'd to have this thread locked, as there's no conceivable reason to keep it up the way this is going, but if that doesn't happen in the next little while I guess my ignore list will grow one more notch.

Why should he or anyone owe any respect to you? You just marched in with a condescending attitude along with your other "moral" squad and told everyone they have no ethics in a berating manner.

PsycoGeek: You have no idea what my profession is so maybe you ought to keep your painter and holier-than-thou dribble to yourself.

If I wanted to learn about absolute morals I'd go the local church/mosque/temple, not come to [H] and have to listen to the resident choir boys.

... with the amount I'm around here I'm a little more then a casual browser, and I've lost the ability to just "ignore" some types of posts and comments.I never mean anything personal, but there are some people and attitudes floating around here that REALLY don't need to be here.

WOW talk about arrogant and narrow-minded! I didn't know [H] forums was your personal playground and that everyone who visits here should have to conform to your values. I guess I must have missed the disclaimer when I signed up here. Perhaps you should e-mail Kyle and make sure he puts in bold print, "Thou shalt conform to Cornelius and gangs moral rule and herd mentality else yee shalt be banished".

P.S. Maybe you ought to get out some more if you take the forums so seriously, sounds like it might do you some good. Oh yeah, didn't you say you were done with this thread about 2 pages back?

MFZ said:
Why should he or anyone owe any respect to you? You just marched in with a condescending attitude along with your other "moral" squad and told everyone they have no ethics in a berating manner.

PsycoGeek: You have no idea what my profession is so maybe you ought to keep your painter and holier-than-thou dribble to yourself.

If I wanted to learn about absolute morals I'd go the local church/mosque/temple, not come to [H] and have to listen to the resident choir boys.

Wow.....and people think I over-react.....

Good one man, I can sure see what kind of attitude YOU'VE got right about now, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with this $hit on a regular basis.....because I've got better things to do with my time around here then sit down and try to convince a few of you when it is and isn't "right" to RMA something.....because some of you seem so hell-bent on getting that freebee that you don't realise that when you're dealing with things like this you need to be able to actually take responsibility for your actions once and awhile, and if that means BUYING a new card then so be it....maybe you'll learn you lesson.

Whatever, trying to get a few of you to understand right from wrong isnt what I'm here for. I'm unsubscribing to this thread, and will NOT be checking back.....so say what you want to or about me, I won't see it...and you'll just look that much more pathetic.

cornelious0_0 said:
Wow.....and people think I over-react.....

Good one man, I can sure see what kind of attitude YOU'VE got right about now, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with this $hit on a regular basis.....because I've got better things to do with my time around here then sit down and try to convince a few of you when it is and isn't "right" to RMA something.....because some of you seem so hell-bent on getting that freebee that you don't realise that when you're dealing with things like this you need to be able to actually take responsibility for your actions once and awhile, and if that means BUYING a new card then so be it....maybe you'll learn you lesson.

Whatever, trying to get a few of you to understand right from wrong isnt what I'm here for. I'm unsubscribing to this thread, and will NOT be checking back.....so say what you want to or about me, I won't see it...and you'll just look that much more pathetic.

Youv'e got your views and we have our own. Perhaps you and some of the other guys should just accept that and move on rather than flame people for having a different opinion than you.

After a lively debate, I'm going to have to end this so it doesn't get more out of hand. As much as I would like to leave it open to piss Cornelious off, I'll be the bigger man here and end this discussion.

PS: RMA is on the way ;)

These types of threads always provoke strong opinions. In some cases I am seriously upset with the types of stuff that people will do. A week back or so we had this idiot guy who didn't like his FX55 overclock and poured water on his rig and showed us pictures of his feet :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, he then promptly said he will be returning this whole setup cause he didn't like AMD anyway.

I flamed that guy just as much as anyone, he was a dishonest dipshit.

Now, in this case we're more in the grey area, valid arguments can be made for and against Soccerich20. For one he was not intending to abuse the system from the getgo...and since we will NEVER know if the original card worked or not, our judgment of this episode will never reflect the facts of the case. I'd leave this thread with an advice to check the components thoroughly before modding. Then you know when/if you screw up.

RS said:
These types of threads always provoke strong opinions. In some cases I am seriously upset with the types of stuff that people will do. A week back or so we had this idiot guy who didn't like his FX55 overclock and poured water on his rig and showed us pictures of his feet :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, he then promptly said he will be returning this whole setup cause he didn't like AMD anyway.

I flamed that guy just as much as anyone, he was a dishonest dipshit.

Now, in this case we're more in the grey area, valid arguments can be made for and against Soccerich20. For one he was not intending to abuse the system from the getgo...and since we will NEVER know if the original card worked or not, our judgment of this episode will never reflect the facts of the case. I'd leave this thread with an advice to check the components thoroughly before modding. Then you know when/if you screw up.

Good advice that I completely agree with. I would find what that guy did wrong as well so if anything, all of us have varying degrees of morality. Some are notably extreme in their views and then there are others like us that are more centered.

SocceRich20 said:
Link me to those pics :D

Ditto. :) BTW I'm also done with this thread so if anyone else feels the need to flame feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back