Please Help re: running 8800GTX on 32" Westy at 1080i via DVI/HDMI...

OsageCowboy

Limp Gawd
Just got this setup going with the new build. My question is what should I do to enhance my 2d image quality. 720p looks noticeably more clear when reading text than does 1080i, but the problem is that the 1280 x 720 resolution is just not enough desktop space for things like surfing the internet, and because the "resize desktop" for HDTV option is apparently broken with Nvidia's latest driver release.

the 1920 x 1080 resolution (or whatever the traditional resolution is) looks fantastic for playing games (although there is slight text blurring), but does not look as well for normal Windows applications.

Should I download Coolbits, nhancer, or powerstrip to address these problems, or should I attempt to manually sharpen the text via the Nvidia control panel? Basically, give me all the tips from you guys' endless knowledge bank about how to optimize running the 8800GTX on an LCD. It is VERY much appreciated!

the monitor displays the same resolution always (720p) it can simply ACCEPT a 1080i input and downscales it to 720p. All hdtv monitors to my knowledge do this exact same thing. I do not believe you CAN change the monitor resolution, but have never had an hdtv hooked up to a computer so i could be wrong. i think your only option is trying to sharpen via nvidia's settings

the 1920 x 1080 resolution (or whatever the traditional resolution is)

1366 x 768 is probably the res of your westinghouse. I don't think they make a 1080p 32in set.

And if the text is hard to read you can increase the windows font size.

appreciate those suggestions, for sure. 1360 x 768 may be the rated resolution, but I can get a couple of higher ones via the control panel (not sure exactly what they are because not at PC at the moment).

upping the font size is a great suggestion. someone else has suggested enabling a DVC command under the control panel, and others have suggested to unlock having the HDTV treated as a tv.

keep them coming fellas, this is fantastic.

appreciate those suggestions, for sure. 1360 x 768 may be the rated resolution, but I can get a couple of higher ones via the control panel (not sure exactly what they are because not at PC at the moment).

upping the font size is a great suggestion. someone else has suggested enabling a DVC command under the control panel, and others have suggested to unlock having the HDTV treated as a tv.

keep them coming fellas, this is fantastic.

1360x768 is what you need to run it at, despite the extra resolutions showing up in the control panel. The higher resolutions will just get downscaled by the TV and you'll wind up with a really shitty picture.

ok, gotcha. but as far as running games goes, running them in the max resolution should be fine, correct?

do you think that programs like nhancer or powerstrip would really be of any benefit to myself?

ok, gotcha. but as far as running games goes, running them in the max resolution should be fine, correct?

do you think that programs like nhancer or powerstrip would really be of any benefit to myself?

Well sure, running them in the max resolution available will be fine but you won't gain anything above running them at your TV's native resolution and by running them higher you can potentially lose performance depending on the game.

nhancer or powerstrip can't undo the quality loss from having a 1080i signal downsampled to your TV's native resolution. Run it at 720p and just deal with a smaller desktop... or run it at 1080i and deal with really blurry text.

so youre suggesting just to run everything in 1360 x 768 and to forego higher resolutions? FSX and LOMAC appear to run the higher resolutions just fine for me.

so youre suggesting just to run everything in 1360 x 768 and to forego higher resolutions? FSX and LOMAC appear to run the higher resolutions just fine for me.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Even if your computer is rendering at "higher resolutions" why would you want it to? Your display can't magically add more pixels. The maximum resolution you will EVER see on that monitor is 1366 x 768. No matter what app, your computer should be set for 1366 x 768.

EASY ON ME, geez, I am very much and very obviously a n00b. i thought that the in-game graphics looked better at the higher resolutions, but apparently that is just some kind of placebo effect on my eyes. so despite showing higher resolutions, there is no improvement in picture quality?

EASY ON ME, geez, I am very much and very obviously a n00b. i thought that the in-game graphics looked better at the higher resolutions, but apparently that is just some kind of placebo effect on my eyes. so despite showing higher resolutions, there is no improvement in picture quality?

No worries man, don't take anything personally especially round these parts.

I think you are rendering your games at higher resolutions and then your TV is downsampling, which is why they will look better than at 1280x720(is probably being upsampled). Rendering at high resolutions will slow down your GPU and your display will be only actually showing its native resolutoin anyway. If you want better image quality at your native resolution you can use anti-aliaising and anistropic filtering, the 8800's can do a great job in this area. Probably at your native resolution 16xAA is fine in most games.

However, if you can get a game to run at your native resolution, that would be best. Many games don't support it natively though... I recommend this website: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/

Yeah. 768p TV's suck at 720p and suck at 1080i/p

For PC use definetly run it at 1360x768/1366x768 even if you have to use VGA to do so.

Back