• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please help need temp advice!!!!

swale

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
274
Hi,

I have a overclcoked qx9770@4.05ghz on a custom watercooled setup with 2x 12cm xspc rads and 1x 360 black ice gtx and fusion V2 block with quad insert (see sig below for full system specs)

Have recently added my gtx 280's to my loop.

but have recently noticed my cpu core temps averaging at around 53C idle and around 76C prime 95 toture test (small fft's).

ambient temp is around 23C and am using coretemp to measure the core tempreature.

My question, are these temps safe I'm concerned that these temps are far to high and I'm harming my CPU, especialy since I have heard people getting much better temps with simlar overclocks??!!!

What do you guys think am I mistaken or am I right to be worried?

Is there anything I can do to drop temps, thought about lapping, but am worried about when i want to re-sell CPU that a lapped CPU could be harder to sell:(
Please Help!!!!!
 
I'm not sure I understand.

Is this all one loop? The GTX rad along with the two XSPC rads (which are basically BI GT Stealths)? I certainly hope it isn't, because that would probably be the reason for your temp issue (killing flow!).
 
I'm not sure I understand.

Is this all one loop? The GTX rad along with the two XSPC rads (which are basically BI GT Stealths)? I certainly hope it isn't, because that would probably be the reason for your temp issue (killing flow!).

Yes all in parallel.have Laing DDC Ultra fluid seems to fly through the loop. are you saying I shoudl remove the XSPC Rads?

cheers
 
Yes all in parallel.have Laing DDC Ultra fluid seems to fly through the loop. are you saying I shoudl remove the XSPC Rads?

cheers

It's not exactly the most efficient way of doing things. I'd personally isolate the CPU from the two GPU's. The GPU's together will generate a significant amount of heat, regardless of the CPU. The GPU's also can run at higher temps comfortably versus the CPU, obviously. If you can swing it, I'd go for two loops.

If you can, I'd ditch the two XSPC rads (rather restrictive) for something else. Perhaps a Swiftie MCR-220/320 or something, or even a Feser dual rad (expensive). I don't know how you have your setup in the Cosmos, so I'm just brainstorming here, lol. The GTX rad, as you know, requires some high-output fans on it to really get it to shine too. I'm assuming this is up top?

Everything you're running generates a lot of heat, obviously. You have an OCed quadx as well as two GTX280's. I don't know what the stock vcore on your quadx is, but I'm assuming your OC on it is probably generating 150-200w over stock. With the two GTX280's, I'm guessing your loop is pushing 400-500w of heat. These are all dirty numbers, though so don't quote me!
 
Hi yes gtx yes is up top, was also thinking of going down the dual loop route but space is very limited heres a pic of my machine this should give you a better idea on my systems layouts etc.
SNV30966-1.jpg


was thinking of ditching the big res (this is onlly a dummy for affect and running to of the 10cm reseviors and 2 ddc Utras but I doubt I'll have enough room.

May go down to 3/8'' tubing to give a little more flexibity my only other idea is to buy one of these res pump combos and put it in the drive thinking of using that to pump the cards and my exsisting pump on CPU
 
Oh, lol. I don't know why I didn't see that! You have tri-sli going! Yeah, you're generating some large amounts of heat. Just the cards alone is pumping 500w or so.
 
Think the easiest way would be remove the res get another ddc pump another drive bay res change my 12cm rads to something better (not sure what as of yet??) and run 2 loops!!!!

Think it would be a case of removing everything and starting from scratch as I would like change colours to green and blue (green graphics and blue CPU) gtreen nvidia blue intel LOL ;-)

What would be the easiest way to clear all the old red out of the system completley?

And the other problem is convincing myselft to undertake the job and dumb some more cash.

What sort of temps could I expect to see someone convince me LOL

p.s are my temps dangerous as they are????
 
Yeah, I'd say your temps are rather high. I'd at least back down the OC for the time being until you figure out what you want to do about the build.

I understand the want and desire to keep everything internal, so I'm not sure if you've considered getting a radbox and hanging another triple-rad or something off the back of the case or not. BTW, where are the two XSPC rads? I'm assuming that's one on the rear fan; is the other on the bottom ahead of the PSU?

The XSPC DDC Res-pump tops are quite nice, and designed to work with highflow systems.

The loop would have to be pretty much disassembled to get the dye out of it completely. And you'll have some hose staining from it too. I generally toss hosing and start over every time I build a new loop, but many reuse hosing. I guess it's a case of what you can waste!

That's just a hefty amount of stuff to cool. I'm a silence freak, so I tend to use Thermochills in my builds. The Black Ice GT Stealths are rather flow-resistant, so having three of them in the same loop; one 360 and 2 120's would slow that flow-rate down quite a bit. I think you'll find your CPU temps going down if you isolate it in its own loop. But finding a spot for a larger rad is the issue, isn't it? :(
 
Yes you got it thats exactly how its mounted,

just priced it all up and its gonna cost about £250 in parts!!!! damn.

Not sure if I might wait a little bit until a new case or somehting comes along that really takes my fancy LOL to make me wanna do it, but the temps are worying me. even if a drop my clocks and voltages it still sits at 50C must be the cards heating the loop up.
 
Yes you got it thats exactly how its mounted,

just priced it all up and its gonna cost about £250 in parts!!!! damn.

Not sure if I might wait a little bit until a new case or somehting comes along that really takes my fancy LOL to make me wanna do it, but the temps are worying me. even if a drop my clocks and voltages it still sits at 50C must be the cards heating the loop up.

Okay, cool. Yeah, it isn't cheap, that's for sure!

You could wait if you want. There are cases currently available that you'd be able to stick two triple rads internally though. Full-tower Lian Li's come to mind. If you wanted to keep that Stacker-style bay feel to the rig like your Cosmos, you could go with a Lian Li PC-A77. Nice case. Just a little something to think about.

50c isn't really that bad. It's high, sure. But not bad. Is that idle, or load?
 
will look into those cases cheers for that.

2x triples sounds nice

50C stock idle:eek::mad: 53C@4ghz
 
not so sure about the Li PC-A77 looks a little boxy if you know what I mean like something modern and with excellent oom for WC is there anything else....what about these acrylic cases WC would look awesome in them
 
Back
Top