Please Help need router or Untagle - Astaro?

mrspeed

n00b
Hi,

I currently have a sonicwall TZ210 and recently up[graded my speed from 18 megs to 105 megs. The problem is that the TZ 210 s not able to keep up with my speed and if I have UTM services enabled I cannot get more than 30 meg throughput.

While I like the sonicwall, I do not care for their yearly fees. One option was to move up to an NSA 3500 but the yearly fees are cost prohibitive "about 1k a year". So now I am looking for a replacement. After reading the forum I see that allot of people seem to like Astaro and or Untangle in conjunction with PFsense.

I need help building a system that will allow me to use the full 105 megs on my network. I am not sure weather to go for astaro or untangle but here are my requirements.

My solution must;

1- Replace router
2- Statefull packet inspection
3- Antivirus build in
4- Web filter
5- NAT policies to control times when kids can be on.
5- Qos to control uploads "I share a windows home server with relative" I do not want him to kill my network while downloading files off my server.
6- Decent firewall
7- It would be nice if users have to log in before they can access the internet.

So with that said what is a better solution for me?

As far as building the server, I need something that can handle the 105 megs but I want to be as energy efficient as possible. I prefer a unit that is rack mountable, 1u preferred but 2u will work.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Another vote for Astaro. I've been running it for a few years and have nothing but praises for it. I used to run Untangle but you can get a bit more functionality free with Astaro that you'd have to pay for with Untangle.

I was thinking, what do you all think about installing vmware in the windows homeserver? that way I can use just the one box as opposed to two?

I would consider Hyper-V instead of VMware Player/Server. Not sure if Hyper-V is supported on Windows Home Server.

Hyper-V is the new Microsoft virtualization? Does it come as a standalone software?

astaro is better than Untangle :) Astaro has vlans and other good features that Untangle doesn't

I'll name 2 that rock, SSL vpn AND vlan support :)

astaro is better than Untangle :) Astaro has vlans and other good features that Untangle doesn't

I'll name 2 that rock, SSL vpn AND vlan support :)

SSL VPN I'll give Astaro. Untangles is close to done. For home users most likely a non issue. For business clients...I go with a dedicated VPN appliance anyways, like a Juniper SA.
VLAN support...dunno why this still baffles you.
*Why can you do this on the switch where most of us do it?
*Learn Untangle multiple rack policies (it's not hard) and you'll see how to do what you're trying to do with VLANs..but even better.

To the OP...try each for a week, see which on you like better. They're both great IMO.
I notice you mention virtualizing....I recommend against running either distro virtualized. A UTM like to be installed bare metal, they really need direct access to NICs for best performance, the way they handle traffic.

SSL VPN I'll give Astaro. Untangles is close to done. For home users most likely a non issue. For business clients...I go with a dedicated VPN appliance anyways, like a Juniper SA.
VLAN support...dunno why this still baffles you.
*Why can you do this on the switch where most of us do it?
*Learn Untangle multiple rack policies (it's not hard) and you'll see how to do what you're trying to do with VLANs..but even better.

To the OP...try each for a week, see which on you like better. They're both great IMO.
I notice you mention virtualizing....I recommend against running either distro virtualized. A UTM like to be installed bare metal, they really need direct access to NICs for best performance, the way they handle traffic.

Because I tried several times, the lack of support to get it working was t there. However a fresh install of astaro and 5 min of setting it up and vlans we done working etc etc.

I setup 5 vlans and everything worked perfect and pretty good.

What type of hardware you think would be able to handle the 105 megs? I guess maybe I should have ask what would be the least a server should have to handle 105 megs with antivirus on and statefull inspection? I am trying to same some $$ on power consumption.

What type of hardware you think would be able to handle the 105 megs? I guess maybe I should have ask what would be the least a server should have to handle 105 megs with antivirus on and statefull inspection? I am trying to same some $$ on power consumption.

I3 with 4 gigs ram, supermicro board :) 1-2 u case = win

One thing i always tell people make sure you have IPMI or some sort of back end connectivity to the unit.

Are you going rack or a tower type ? what's the budget ?

this is perfect for you, and something i might be grabbing soon too.

half depth i3 3 nic's etc etc.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Supermicro-I...EN_Servers&hash=item19c630c2d8#ht_6356wt_1336

Last edited:
I3 with 4 gigs ram, supermicro board :) 1-2 u case = win

One thing i always tell people make sure you have IPMI or some sort of back end connectivity to the unit.

Are you going rack or a tower type ? what's the budget ?

I am going on rack, but I have a Audio video rack not a server rack. I think the depth is 25 inches.

http://www.amazon.com/42-SPACE-Floo...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347895149&sr=8-1&keywords=re42

I would like to stay under 500 bucks if I can.

Thanks for the help.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That server looks sweet, how can I add a third Ethernet card? I want to load balance and have two cable modems coming in the house. One is business account with static ip's for server and one is a home account with simply more speed.

By the way, sorry I missed the link on the first post.

That server looks sweet, how can I add a third Ethernet card? I want to load balance and have two cable modems coming in the house. One is business account with static ip's for server and one is a home account with simply more speed.

By the way, sorry I missed the link on the first post.

easy to do, just buy the riser card and drop in another nic, just remember it has to be PCI-e

I use the supermicro atom boxes for my utm's, works great.

Back