Please Help. Monitor Loses Signal after Windows load screen

Yoma44

Limp Gawd
Main Specs:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L MOBO -> Radeon 4870 -> Planar PX2611W

This has been working for many months. But after unplugging the computer and/or updating the drivers, it started doing this:
The Planar monitor works up until the windows load screen, then says NO SIGNAL. It also works in safe mode. The VGA mode didn't work, until I set "Load Optimized Defaults" from the BIOS. Then VGA all of a sudden popped on upon restart, and now that seems to work.

So strange - my monitor has worked before, but sometimes it takes some voodoo to get the monitor to be accepted. In the past, once the DVI port decided to work, it would work from there out even if I restarted. But now I moved my computer, and upon rehooking it, can't get a signal on the DVI connection, (but I can get one on VGA)

Facts that might help:
1. I recently updated my Catalyst driver (without uninstalling the old ones) about the same time this started happening?
2. The monitor works in SAFE MODE.
3. It has worked nicely in the past, with little hitches like this happening, but working itself out upon restarts and re-plugging things in.
4. I plugged in a second monitor (VGA only), and it had the same problem for a bit until upon the 27 odd restart attempt, it started working.
5. The LAST time I fixed it when this happened, I plugged in the monitor mid-boot sequence and magically it started working. After four hours of trying, I can't get that to happen again.
6. I updated the Bios to this 1.1 version. Haven't seen a difference.
7. I REPLACED my video card with another Radeon 4870, and seen no change.

Full Specs:

CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
VID VisionTek Radeon HD 4870 2.0 x16
PSU CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W
MBO GIGABYTE G Intel P45 ATX Motherboard
RAM 8GB G.SKILL (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
HDD Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
DVD SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA
FAN XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
FAN XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket
CAS Lian Li PC-A05B Mid Tower
(OS Win Vista OS)

Uninstall your catalysts, run Driver Sweeper from safe mode, install known working catalyst package.
So I've done this many times trying to see if I was perhaps doing it wrong. No matter what it doesn't work. I've installed many different versions of the ATI drivers.

It works fine if I run it in Safe Mode (which I'm doing right now), or if it hasn't installed any display drivers, but as soon as windows either automatically installs the drivers or I manually install them myself, it repeats the problem (the screen will be on during the boot sequence and while the first windows load bar is on screen, but then it loses the signal.)

Is there anything else I need to set in the bios, or any other way to resolve this?

Is this a Vista issue?

press f8 during boot again. There should be some option like "boot windows in vga mode" or "low resolution mode" or "800x600 / 640 x 480 mode". NOT safe mode.

After booting to vga mode, set the resolution to the native resolution of your monitor and make sure the refresh rate is correct as well (60/59 hz for most lcd's). Hit ok, confirm all the boxes, and restart the computer into normal mode again.

I have a similar problem but I'm not sure I can help as I have no real solution. My screen also cuts out after the load screen in Vista and 7 (but worked fine in xp). The only work-around I have found is to have another monitor plugged in, an old CRT, for the boot up, and when I unplug that and replug my LCD at the log-in screen it starts working. I have no idea what causes it and previously looked for answers for quite a while but never figured it out. For this reason I try to only restart my computer about once a week :p

Edit: only other useful piece of information is that I am using a Nvidia card, nvidia drivers... I don't think it's your video card. However I am also using a Gigabyte mobo, but really I suspect it's just something silly windows is doing.

If I do any plugging or unplugging after windows boots up, it just stays off. It's like it never tries again to send it a signal to turn the monitor back on.

Some have found help here, others were not so lucky. Planar PX2611W is not on the blacklist so perhaps you will be lucky. Happens with Nvidia as well as ATI.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagev...d=96981&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/no-display-through-dvi-hotfix.aspx
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticle...eshootingCommonDVIFlatPanelDisplayIssues.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/edid_over.mspx

I am running a dual boot, dual monitor. My Asus VW246H is on the blacklist and had problems in Vista with drivers from a couple releases ago but none at all in win7. Updating drivers in Vista cured the problem for me.

You might hook up both your Pioneer Plasma and your planar as dual monitors and then be able to follow the info at the AMD forums.

Last edited:
Im running Win7 64bit with 2 video cards(non SLI) and i have same problem as you have only when i plug the second moniter into primary video card, but if i plug it into my secondary video card ,it works without issue, IMO i think its the newer nVidia driver issue.

Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:13 AM
To:
Subject: AMD Service Notice:{ticketnoxxxxxxxx

Please note that monitor compatibility is caused primarily by the MS EDID information passed by the monitor to the system and Windows. Adjustments within the Catalyst driver may be altered to correct for any MS EDID misinformation transferred from the monitor.

Did you ever get it sorted out?
Not really. I'm using the VGA input for it right now, which at least works well enough. Maybe Windows 7 will help, maybe not. I would love to fix the issue though, as it is quite maddening.

In addition to this (might be related) - sometimes when I turn off the monitor for an extended period of time (sometimes just 20 min), the computer thinks it is inactive and restarts. It's pretty bizarre, and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Back