• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please Help Me!

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM

My User Name Is Stoopid
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
1,574
I want to get a new video card (PICE-X16) but I don't know if I have that slot in my computer. On Cnet.com it says it has one but it's being used. My comp is an HP m7060n. If you need any other details just ask but please help me!
 
I googled your rig and it says the "Only option for graphics card upgrade is PCI"

So looks like your SOL unless you upgrade the Motherboard
 
:'( That sucks, I tried looking up newegg for a new mobo but I couldn't find any to meet my specs. Can someone help me with this? My mobo is micro-atx :(. Does that mean I should get a new case (ATX) to get a new mobo to get a new gfx card? Wow this really sucks. The best PCI card is a 5700LE :(
 
I feel your pain I have a gateway system thats on its last leg too as far as video gaming goes. It baaaaaarly runs BF2 so I'm planning on just building a whole new system. I would suggest the same ;).
 
Probably will need a case too, and if the computer was made to be small and so on it will probably have a miniATX psu too right? Might be small, I dunno.

edit: Alright I googled it. I don't know, case looks of decent size. I'd be able to tell in person, or if you openned it up. Guessing it might have ATX holes and they just used a mini to save pcb. Open it.
 
I was looking on the newegg page, I have a P4 w/ HT and my HD os Sata 150 and non of the mobo's are Sata 150 except like 2 but they don't say P4 HT. So am I outa luck?
 
You will have to check which ones support SATA, but they shoud all support your CPU.
 
They all look like they support SATA, too. I am pretty sure SATA II is backwards compatible also.
 
Ok, did some googling and it said that SATA II is compatible with SATA 150! So I can use any of those motherboards. I am going to go with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121294
I'm wondering, How hared is it to take the old mobo out and out in the new one and connect all the stuff to it? I don't want to mess up my comp like I did with my last one :p
I am also planning on getting a new graphics card, I am thinking of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130231
theres another one on newegg thats is exactly the same price but it is GDDR3 and the other 1 is just DDR, which is better?
 
You might be better off selling your pc and building a new one
 
to put it bluntly..

why, when buying a comp so recently, did you get one w/ only a PCI slot? not even AGP?

for the new motherboard, tho, u might want to make sure its the same socket as your processor, otherwise ur processor wont fit.
 
Soymilk said:
to put it bluntly..

why, when buying a comp so recently, did you get one w/ only a PCI slot? not even AGP?

for the new motherboard, tho, u might want to make sure its the same socket as your processor, otherwise ur processor wont fit.

I really don't know. I didn't think I would be upgrading it at all. And ya, it is the same socket as my processor.

BTW Cnet said my comp had a pcie-x16, those liars!
 
No way am I going to do thatm I told you, I just got this comp.

I would advise the computer you got isn't that great. Even if you just got it, you could probably sell it, make a decent profit, and get a machine that is substantially better. With PCI-E and all that good stuff. Just my thoughts.
 
Not that good? I don't want to play Doom 3 or half life 2 at max settings or run 20 programs at once, I just want some good graphics on my comp.
 
why would HP make a "modern" computer with only 3 pci slots and one available?


that makes no sence at all
 
XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM said:
. I am going to go with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121294

I am also planning on getting a new graphics card, I am thinking of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130231
theres another one on newegg thats is exactly the same price but it is GDDR3 and the other 1 is just DDR, which is better?

Mobo looks fine.

Get a 6800gt - much more bang for your buck. If its too much, then drop down to a 6600gt.

DDR3 is better.
 
DNA, Why get a 6600 GT, those are like cheap, and I don't want to spend a lot getting the 6800 GT, y isn't the normal 6800 good??
 
Tiburon said:
I googled your rig ...

I don't know what your doing googling someone else's rig. I don't think that's allowed in this forum. :p

Sorry to interrupt the thread. Always make time for jokes you'll live longer.
 
XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM said:
DNA, Why get a 6600 GT, those are like cheap, and I don't want to spend a lot getting the 6800 GT, y isn't the normal 6800 good??

They're only cheap because the 7800's came out and have been selling really well. They're still nice cards.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the 6800 - just trying to help you get the best value for your purchase.
 
oh, ok, sorry bout that, I believe in the "you get what you pay for" theory. But after seeing them they are really nice cards. I am going 2 get a 6600GT :)
 
good call on the 6600 gt. i love mine, it is great for all the modern games, i run everything at 1280x1024 with high/medium settings and i never get any video lag
 
Wow! 1280x1024, thats awesome, Mine was set to 1156x864, but I just changed it, It's a nice resolution, all the words are so crisp on this resolution. And ya, 6600GT is nice, I also like how it sounds, better than 6800.
 
BFG, eVGA, and XFX are all outstanding. Go for price and specs.
 
Yeah, since you're limited to m-ATX, that's about as good as it gets.

Good choice on the video card - shouldn't be disappointed.
 
It would have been nice after going through all this trouble to just get a hot deal on like a 6800GT or something, but that's just me. $50 more after rebate for a lot more card.
 
Back
Top