Please help me with design elements for a "Carnival" theme

AceTKK

Gawd
Working on a project with "Carnival" as the major theme. Specifically, it's the old-fashioned small-town carnival look that I want to recreate. What sort of design elements should I look at? When you think "Carnival" what comes to mind? I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

I threw this together, but something isn't right with it. How can I make it better?

NewControlPane2lcopy.jpg

-Ace-

handelbar moustache and tophat
ferris wheel
bearded lady tattooed carnies, the strongman and freakshow
lights in the night, crowds and noise\music

well the red and white check is more "Italian restaurant" than Carnival
the "classic" carnival promotion is the poster or canvas backdrop
and historically its a study in custom typography w\ mixed images
(for the illiterate or immigrant)
a very "busy" sensationalism

Carnival_poster-1.JPG

Carnival_poster-3.JPG

Carnival_poster-4.JPG

FUC1518CARNAVALAN.jpg

poster04.jpg

while the small town carny is somewhat unique its graphically an outgrowth of circus posters
here is a historical collection

http://libweb5.princeton.edu/visual_materials/Circus/TC093.html

I don't think you should do a checkered look at all, but use vertical stripes instead.
I'd use the colors yellow and blue myself, that makes me feel like I'm in carnival.
Also there needs to be a ridiculous amount of ballons that compliment the overall color scheme of the carnival.

What is your project? Is it a 2D drawing, 3D scene, etc...

OOooo...that devil island torture one is hot...I think I'd end up doing something else if I were in that guys position...bwaahaha...

btw...I don't like the pink...pink isn't carnival for me...I dunno...nice border and text tho...how'd you do it???

Thanks everybody for the input, I'll make some changes tonight and update the image.

A special thanks to Ice Czar for the great images and link. I would never have found that on my own and it's going to be a huge help!

Metallica_Band ... you have some issues.

oh yea, the project is a 2-d design centering around the word "Arcade". It's going to be used as a marquee for a MAME cabinet.

-Ace-

Back