I am using MIAHALLEN's overclocking guide and I have made it through step one which is determining your maximum stable base clock
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/
Okay my maximum stable base clock is 206
Now I am on step 2 and getting confused:
So this is what is confusing me, he is setting his base clock to 202 with is memory at standard settings with a goal of base clock at 210. So if my goal is 200, what am I initially going to set my base clock to?
In my case with a goal of 200 should I:
set it to 192 --> run memtest --> set it to 194 --> run memtest etc. until I reach 200 stable? How will my max stable base clock of 206 relate to this?
If anyone could clear things up for I'd appreciate it
thanks
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/
Okay my maximum stable base clock is 206
Now I am on step 2 and getting confused:
Okay so lets say my maximum stable base clock is 206 like I said I have reached, what should my desired base clock be? Lets say I want to get to 4.0 using a base clock of 200...Enter the BIOS and adjust your memory timings according to the manufactures rating, in this case 8-8-8 24 1T. Now, consider your maximum/desired bclock frequency, 200MHz for example. This memory has a stock speed of 800MHz, so a 2:8 ratio with a bclock of 200MHz would put us right at that stock speed of 800MHz. You could set it and leave it there, but lets say your maximum/desired bclock is not 200MHz.
if you are actually trying to reach 210MHz. If that were the case, the resulting memory frequency would be 840MHz (DDR3-1680). So, similar to finding bclock stability above, we need to work our way up to the desired speed testing along the way.
But, our goal is to reach 210MHz bclock, which will result in 840MHz memory frequency. In the BIOS, set your bclock to 202MHz, and your memory multi to 2:8, save settings and exit.
If the test ran without error, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and enter your BIOS. Raise the bclock by 2MHz and then save and exit. If the test failed, raise the memory voltage by a smallest increment possible, and run the test again.
So this is what is confusing me, he is setting his base clock to 202 with is memory at standard settings with a goal of base clock at 210. So if my goal is 200, what am I initially going to set my base clock to?
In my case with a goal of 200 should I:
set it to 192 --> run memtest --> set it to 194 --> run memtest etc. until I reach 200 stable? How will my max stable base clock of 206 relate to this?
If anyone could clear things up for I'd appreciate it
thanks