Please!! Help me turn on ganged memory mode!

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm experiencing a very frustrating issue with my Gigabyte ma78gm-us2h motherboard, in which for the life of me I can't find the setting to change my memory from unganged (which it's set to now) to ganged mode. I've read threw my manual twice and looked threw every single bios setting at least 10 times and I just can't find the setting. One thing that caught my attention in the mobo's manual, is it states that you should be able to press ctrl+F1 to enter an advanced setting menu. This dosen't work and I can't fathom why! I even hooked up a ps2 keyboard, and in the main menu and all submenus ctrl + F1 does nothing! Please, I know this is an annoying issue to help me with, but if someone has this board or knows the method to change this setting it would mean so much to me if I got some help with this. I've gotten to the point where i've almost completely run out of ideas and the only way I can think of to force turn off ganged mode is to change the memory slots i'm using to run in single channel mode. However id much much rather be able to use ganged dual channel like my old motherboard could do. Any tips?

Last edited:
Actually, Unganged is better because it allows simultaneous read/write operations. You are still in dual-channel mode, just not in 128-bit mode. Unless you are having stability issues, there is no need to switch back to Ganged mode.

Actually, Unganged is better because it allows simultaneous read/write operations. You are still in dual-channel mode, just not in 128-bit mode. Unless you are having stability issues, there is no need to switch back to Ganged mode.

Check out this thread here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052661

I play tons of gtaiv, pretty much the only game I play and I have stuttering issues with it so it looks like turning on ganged mode will finally get this game to run properly for me.

You say unganged is "better" but what does that really mean? One mode is optimized for single threads that use large amounts of memory, and the other is better with multiple threads using smaller amounts of memory. One isn't "better" then the other, they are different. That's like saying a banana is better than a grapefruit. It all depends on what taste better to you and what nutrients you specifically need the most.

Last edited:
Ah, nevermind I just moved my sicks around so it runs in single channel mode and now GTAiv never stutters anymore. Sucks I lost dual channel mode but oh well it still runs better.

I ended up rmaing the motherboard to gigabyte last week since its still under warranty, ill let yall know if thew come threw for me. I paid too much for this board to not have duel channel work.

To run in ganged mode all you have to do is simply disabled the unganged mode.

Updating the bios firmware got the option to show up however after enabling ganged mode this in the bios the post screen still says unganged duel channel. Also double confirmed it with cpuz that it's still in unganged dual channel even when it's set to ganged in the bios. I got my RMA shipment notification yesterday so i'll see soon if they've come threw for me. My previous 2 gigabyte boards were able to use this setting with no issues so it's gotta be this one that's screwed up.

I did some google reading on this topic. Ganged mode will beat unganged in specialized single-threaded benchmarks. But for real-world usage, and especially when more than one thread executing, unganged is the clear winner.

I seriously doubt ganged vs unganged is the source of your performance problems. The RMA replacement will probably act identical, but I could be wrong.

I did some google reading on this topic. Ganged mode will beat unganged in specialized single-threaded benchmarks. But for real-world usage, and especially when more than one thread executing, unganged is the clear winner.

I seriously doubt ganged vs unganged is the source of your performance problems. The RMA replacement will probably act identical, but I could be wrong.

In benchmarks.

I have found that quite a few games, especially GTA 4, feel _a lot_ smoother when the memory controller is set to ganged mode. Additionally, nothing else really feels any slower. Small differences in benchmarks mean nothing compared to actual usability.

Back