Hi all,
I am having random shutdowns on my system at very intermittent periods. So far it has happened just twice, once about a week ago in the middle of the night, and once today in the middle of playing a game. The system just turns off, no fans, no nothing. Today when it happened and I tried to turn it back on, the system would just spin up the fans, then something that sounded like a relay would click and it would just turn off. I tried swapping the PSU with a known good one and it still did the same thing. I put a different GPU in and it powered up at least, but didn't get as far as displaying the BIOS or anything. It eventually powered back on like nothing ever happened and it's been fine on the old GPU/new PSU for a couple of hours now. I've tried a bunch of stuff to troubleshoot this, but I'm having trouble coming up with a methodology to attack it because it's such a rare occurrence. My gut tells me it's probably the PSU or the video card, but since it happens so little I have no way of vindicating that. Any ideas?
Here are the specs, it's actually a fairly simple system, other than the video card and pcie ssd there aren't many addins.
DESKTOP-U779UHO -----------------------------------------------------------
[Current Computer]
[Operating System]
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 14393.693 (RS1)
Intel Core i7-6900K -------------------------------------------------------
[General Information]
Processor Name: Intel Core i7-6900K
Motherboard ---------------------------------------------------------------
[Computer]
[Motherboard]
Motherboard Model: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Memory --------------------------------------------------------------------
[General information]
Total Memory Size: 64 GBytes
Total Memory Size [MB]: 65536
Row: 0 - 16 GB PC4-25600 DDR4 SDRAM G Skill F4-3200C16-16GTZKW ------------ (etc, same DIMMS)
Intel 750 Series (Fultondale) AIC SSD -------------------------------------
[General Information]
Device Name: Intel 750 Series (Fultondale) AIC SSD
Original Device Name: Intel 750 Series (Fultondale) SSD
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X -----------------------------------------------------
[General Information]
Device Name: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Original Device Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (GP104-400)
PSU is a Seasonic Prime titanium 850
I am having random shutdowns on my system at very intermittent periods. So far it has happened just twice, once about a week ago in the middle of the night, and once today in the middle of playing a game. The system just turns off, no fans, no nothing. Today when it happened and I tried to turn it back on, the system would just spin up the fans, then something that sounded like a relay would click and it would just turn off. I tried swapping the PSU with a known good one and it still did the same thing. I put a different GPU in and it powered up at least, but didn't get as far as displaying the BIOS or anything. It eventually powered back on like nothing ever happened and it's been fine on the old GPU/new PSU for a couple of hours now. I've tried a bunch of stuff to troubleshoot this, but I'm having trouble coming up with a methodology to attack it because it's such a rare occurrence. My gut tells me it's probably the PSU or the video card, but since it happens so little I have no way of vindicating that. Any ideas?
Here are the specs, it's actually a fairly simple system, other than the video card and pcie ssd there aren't many addins.
DESKTOP-U779UHO -----------------------------------------------------------
[Current Computer]
[Operating System]
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 14393.693 (RS1)
Intel Core i7-6900K -------------------------------------------------------
[General Information]
Processor Name: Intel Core i7-6900K
Motherboard ---------------------------------------------------------------
[Computer]
[Motherboard]
Motherboard Model: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Memory --------------------------------------------------------------------
[General information]
Total Memory Size: 64 GBytes
Total Memory Size [MB]: 65536
Row: 0 - 16 GB PC4-25600 DDR4 SDRAM G Skill F4-3200C16-16GTZKW ------------ (etc, same DIMMS)
Intel 750 Series (Fultondale) AIC SSD -------------------------------------
[General Information]
Device Name: Intel 750 Series (Fultondale) AIC SSD
Original Device Name: Intel 750 Series (Fultondale) SSD
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X -----------------------------------------------------
[General Information]
Device Name: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Original Device Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (GP104-400)
PSU is a Seasonic Prime titanium 850