Please help me solve this.

ReconSniper

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I just got my new I7 2600k and my MSI Z68a-GD65 (B3) motherboard. I installed everything and it powers and works great.... with the onboard video connector to the I7. My EVGA 295 is not found. The green light on the card is lit, indicating power. I put in an Evga 260 and it works fine. I put the 295 in another computer, it works fine. I have upgraded th motherboard bios, been to the website to search for issues. The MSI website shows compatibility with the 295. Is there anything else you guys can think of that I am doing wrong? In windows it is not in the device manager either. The card does get hot, the fan is spinning etc. So basically the card is working but for some reason the motherboard isnt recognizing it. It recognized the 260 though. Thanks in advance.

A few more system details such as power supply make / model are needed.

Has the GTX 295 been tested in a known working system?

Tried disabling onboard gpu and connecting your monitor to the 295 and booting that way?

So you get no video if you plug your monitor into the video card directly?

Can you disable the iGPU in the BIOS with the 260, then try the 295 again?

I don't have a z68 board, just suggesting. Frustrating when you know all the parts are good, just not together.

Edit: beaten by a minute, that's what I get for posting from my phone, lol

The 295 works perfect in another system. My power supply is a kingwin 800w modular. I would think it would have enough power. The green light is lit on the card, which I always though meant power req are met.

I will attempt to put the 260 back in and disable Igpu. I dont have an option to disable Igpu since I have to use it to see the bios when the 295 is in.

I do not see an option to flat out disable onboard video. I have set most of the video options to Disabled though. Still no luck with the 295.

tried both pcie-16x slots? though it would be odd for the 260 to work and the 295 not to

tried both pcie-16x slots? though it would be odd for the 260 to work and the 295 not to

Yes, I have tried both. I honestly believe its a compatibility issue with the motherboard. (MSI Z68a-GD65 (B3) There list shows that MSI branded video cards were tested and compatible, but they didn't test ANY other brand cards. So maybe the Evga 260 works, but the dual PCB 295 doesn't? I am at a loss. Guess I will have to search the couches for some spare change to buy a new GPU.

On your modular PSU, try switching to a different socket that is connected to your GPU for power. My guess is that you don't have enough power going to the card.

Well, I have tried all of the above. So I decided I would just buy a new card. Bought a GTX 580 and guess what, works like a charm. It has to be a compatibility issue with the mobo. Just a heads up for you guys with upgrading in mind.

I have an old 7800gs that refuses to work with a particular motherboard of mine. Unfortunately, incompatibilities happen, where the mobo and video card each have a bios deficiency in the same spot.

I haven't had an issue like this in quite some time, but it does happen sometimes. I had a Pentium Pro that would reboot if I installed a sound blaster 16. No matter what. Drove me crazy. I had to go buy one of the first PCI sound cards because of it. Glad you were able to get the budget together for another card.

Back