Please help me pick a new monitor

xeddex

Limp Gawd
I currently have a A7217A (rebranded Sony FW900) 24" CRT. I just put a new system together and I'm considering finally going to flat panel. I picked up an MSIWind netbook a while ago and it's LED backlit and I really like the evenness of the back lighting. One of the big turnoffs for LCD's for me was always the unevenness of the bulb back lighting.

Computer usage: general use, coding, surfing, gaming. No professional photography or anything like that where the color has to be perfect but I am a big stickler for good solid color. It has to be very good but doesn't have to be professional photographer/graphic designer/$1000 calibration device good.

I'll be driving it with an xfx 5850 so I've got all the modern port choices available.

- Widescreen

- BIgger than 22"

- must be native 1920x1200 (that's the resolution I've used for the last few years and I doubt that will change any time in the near future)

- must have good solid color

- My wife has a dell 19" with glossy screen and I admit that I think the glossy screens look better than the matte but I couldn't tell you why I think that exactly so glossy screen is preferred.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
With CES right around the corner, I would wait and see what comes out. I know NEC is coming out with a new PA series (IPS panels), which I would imagine will be unveiled at CES and go on sale shortly after.

Back