Please help me. E6400 vs E6600???

dborden

Limp Gawd
Which would be better?

Getting an E6400 and overclocking to 400mhz FSB 1:1 memory on the ds3

OR

Getting and E6600 and possibly not being able to overclock the FSB up to 400mhz and therefore underclocking memory at 1:1.

I am building a rig for strictly hardcore gaming with a 7950gx2. From what I have read OCing an E6400 to fsb 400mhz is a cakewalk. Would I get better performance with this in gaming?

Or should I risk getting an E6600 and hoping to hit 400FSB. My concern is that if I cannot run at 400mhz fsb then my memory frequency will be screwey(say I can only OC to 340FSB then my memory will only be 680mhz and my proc will be only at 3ghz anyway..

What do you guys think? Should I just get an e6400 or stick to my guns and get an e6600? I am looking strictly for the best 24/7 gaming performance I can get and will be stuck with this decision for several years.

Please chime in!

Seems like you need E6600, since ure a hard core gammer you can use 4MB cache comes with E6600 and Higher Performance then E6400.

MCRAYGSX said:
Seems like you need E6600 have Double the Cache then E6400 and Higher Performance then E6400.
Any other input? I Don't really understand this guy.

dborden said:
Any other input? I Don't really understand this guy.

lol, I suggest getting the e6400 and overclocking up to the bar. The performance difference due to the extra cache isn't huge, and you can find an e6400 a heck of a lot easier than a 6600 right now.

If you have the money, id say 6600, but if you want to save some cash, go 6400.

For me, I went with 6400 (easier to find, and saved some money since I had already spent so much on this system).

talking about money. Better purchase soon, I have been noticing price increases for some of the online/retail stores in the past couple of days.

I pre-ordered a e6600 (due Aug 31) from monarch (345.00 retail box) and they told me they have 1400 e6600's coming in on order. Now, I would think they purchased them at a set price, but the prices in the past two days have gone up $15.00 on all the Intel duo core 2 processors monarch sells. It starts to irritate me that they raise prices on something just because of the demand. I don't think prices are going to stay low on these because everyone wants to go back to the high ridiculus prices that they were use to having before so they can get better profits from the little guy.

gwizrus said:
talking about money. Better purchase soon, I have been noticing price increases for some of the online/retail stores in the past couple of days.

I pre-ordered a e6600 (due Aug 31) from monarch (345.00 retail box) and they told me they have 1400 e6600's coming in on order. Now, I would think they purchased them at a set price, but the prices in the past two days have gone up $15.00 on all the Intel duo core 2 processors monarch sells. It starts to irritate me that they raise prices on something just because of the demand. I don't think prices are going to stay low on these because everyone wants to go back to the high ridiculus prices that they were use to having before so they can get better profits from the little guy.

This is what I don't understand why people are so pissed off at companies for raising the prices. This is standard business practice as has been said a bajillion times before. They are there to make money, not to be your friend. They raise prices and still sell out, Why would they have lower prices? They owe it to the people that are invested into the company (stock holders, employee's, etc...) to make the money.

Get an x6800, put it under ice, and overclock it to 5.0 GHz! Don't be a pussy.

No really, the 6400 is a good buy, but I think that the extra cache might come in handy. What RAM are you getting? That might help you make a decision. The 6600 might be the best performer for the price I have EVER seen. Maybe even better than the old XP 1700 JIUHB

I'd get the 6400. Its going to kick the piss out of whatever you have now. With your display and video card, the difference between the two CPUs while gaming will be neglible.

E

BinaryApe said:
This is what I don't understand why people are so pissed off at companies for raising the prices. This is standard business practice as has been said a bajillion times before. They are there to make money, not to be your friend. They raise prices and still sell out, Why would they have lower prices? They owe it to the people that are invested into the company (stock holders, employee's, etc...) to make the money.

Didn't say I was pissed off BinaryApe. BTW, they went up another 15.00 dollars on the processor so please be my guess and buy from them to help the stockholders. As for me, I just go out and search for a lower price and buy from a different company.

With E6400 or E6600 you are going have all the processing power you need to game, the only reason application wise to get the 4mb cache E6600 is if you plan on doing a lot of 3d rendering.

With any conroe setup you are going to hit a video card wall well before you bottleneck any of those processors, so get the E6400 overclock to stock E6600 speeds and save the $100 for your DX10 video card. Just my 2 cents

Back