Please help me choose between these two cards.

Jaz709

n00b
Hi all, a while back I inquired about an i7 build in another forum but decided to hold out for SB being it's only a short time before its release. At the moment I'm in need of a video card and I cannot make up my mind on this one. It'll be used with an NEC 2490WUXI-BK My last system had an EVGA GTX 260. Since selling that system my monitor has been bothering my eyes. Unfortunately the crap card that I'm now using doesn't allow me to change the refresh rate(s).

Which ever card I purchase will be moved to the SB in come next year. It'll be used for Photoshop CS5 and probably some gaming. I've read reviews on both the Gigabyte SOC GTX 460, http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...cm_re=gigabyte_gtx_460-_-14-125-345-_-Product , as well as the Gigabyte SOC GTX 470 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125338&Tpk=GV-N470SO-13I .

It's been proven that the Gigabyte has better temps with its Super OC than the standard units. On some forums people are saying just about any card will do for PS CS5 while others say the 470 is better. I'm just afraid if I get the 460 I'll regret NOT purchasing the 470. From what I've found thus far CS5 doesn't take kindly to SLI. So I'm in limbo of either going 2x 460 or a single 470. Any thoughs or imput would be appreciated.

Im in the same boat, I cant decide between a GTX 460 FTW, or GTX 470.

Unless you need the advanced CUDA for rendering, get the 460, it's $100 less and will be nearly as fast for gaming purposes.

Nice monitor! :D

I'm not gonna comment on the gaming side of your question because I haven't used a GTX 470..but as far as CS5 goes, it won't make a difference either way, especially for Photoshop. Even the Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere only uses around 100 shaders for CUDA crunching.

Hopefully that'll change in the future, but really the only thing that seems to affect the GPU acceleration in CS5 is memory bandwith and shader clocks.

I have nothing good to say about Gigabyte's SOC series except that they are consistently defective and replaced well under warranty. I've RMA'd my 260 SOC 3 times now in 2 months, every time for the same reason: hard crashes during 3D showing an internal defect of some kind. My 460 is likewise displaying some weird problems that may or may not be related to a defect. My next nvidia card will not be Gigabyte, regardless of how well they've performed RMA service.

Last edited:
Photoshop? Get a GTS450 instead, i dont see any point in a 460 or a 470 for photoshop/CS in general.

Back