Please help me choose a new HSF combo.

Domingow

2[H]4U
Hello,

Currently I have a Thermaltake Volcano 11+ HSF, and this thing is LOUD :eek: . I think it is time to Change this to a HSF combo that is perhaps a lot quieter. I was in the market to Purchase a WC kit, but unfortunately my cash-flow is down to a trickle a best… So in the interim I would like to change the current HSF to something a lot less stressful on the ears. :mad:

My current choices are:
Swiftech MCX478-V
Thermalright SP-97
Thermaltake SilentTower Heatpipe CL-P0025
:confused:
I love the Cooling potential of the Volcano 11+ however when it is turned up to the max my ears BLEED :eek: …. As An alternative HSF combo, I am leaning towards the last option (TT SilentTower) as it is extremely quite, and to be quite frank kinda cool looking.
My current budget on this upgrade is approximately 75$ I would like to retain the small OC I currently maintain with the cooling efficiency of the Volcano 11+. And if possible squeeze a tad more out of this setup. I am currently running a XP 2200 @ 2.06 (2600+) and my temps are Idle 40-45c, and Load 50c, my room temp is around 84f to 90f (I am to cheap to run the AC as I don’t like having my bung-hole being anal violated by the power co…) If you perhaps know of a better alternative, please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions,
-Shyboi

Thank you for your post, :)
I did take the space constraints into consideration, and because of layout of my MOBO I had to rule out the Zaleman CU as this required additional modification to the retention bracket…or so I was led to believe from the website. My MOBO is a Epox 8RDA+ And I have an ageing Radeon8500 as my main VGA device, my case does have enough room to support this HSF combo and the exhaust fans would vent directly behind the SilentTower.

As a fourth option,
Would the MXC-6400-V be a viable alternative?
According to system cooling it weighs in at 750g, and the reviewer had excellent results with testing an OC’d system with both 1745rpm, and 3400rpm settings on the fan. As it stands I can tolerate the fan on the Tornado if it is running at about 2000rpm, the downside to lowering the rpm on my current HSF is that…the temps do rise over my comfort zone. Anyways… just tossing out an alternate idea.

so your replacing your volcano 11? well i dont really have many suggestions since u want quiet but i think the silent tower looks good and supposedly works nicely....i am currently waiting on a volcano 11 for my abit nf7-s running a athlon 1700 xp @1.7GHz...im hoping to maybe squeeze a little more out of it once i get the new heatsink..so u agree that ur volcano worked good with cooling? sorry i came in and asked U a question but i wanna know if this thing is any good ;) o yea also if i wanted to could i switch the 80mm fan that goes to it for a different one and still have the fan controles?

the sp97 is the best chunk of metal you can buy, thermaltakes have always looked more powerful than they are... look at the amount of copper on a volcano 12 compared to all the (more expensive) thermalrights that beat it... the tower stupidly big compared to the performance aswell, if they used better quality metal like thermalright it could have been an amazing cooler but as it is it can merely keep up with an sp97 even with 2 fans on it, i was surprised how good it was (less so when i saw the size of it) but i have never seen a review with it compared to an sp97/94 with the same fan at the same speed, i guess if you can find one it will decide it

Thank you for your replies!

RP_JAKE454
As far as the Volcano 11+, this is a good HSF for the money, but the Fan is TOO LOUD! The only reason it cools well is due to the HIGH CFM produced by the fan. At full speed I believe it is around 74CFM. It is a good performer for the money spent on it, but in my situation it is to loud and needs to be replaced by a quieter alternative, and unfortunately a WC setup is still 150$ to 200$ over my budgeted computer spending this year… (damn useful, and productive PDA…)

So I narrowed down my list to 2 candidates.
• Swiftech MCX462-V
• Thermalright SP-97

According to my research into this endeavor both are great performers. Members on this forum seem to love the SP-97 due to its fantastic cooling potential. However for my needs it seems that the MCX462-V performs better at lower fan RPM.

So my question it this: Given the 2 choices which option would you choose? Further, which one would you choose to run at a lower fan rpm and expect greater cooling potential from it.

Thank you again for your time and thoughtful suggestions again,
-Shyboi.

I like the swiftech products usualy, I find the problem with finned coolers is that the fins tend to plug up faster than the barbs. You can't go wrong with either HS mroe than likely, but IMO swiftech products are high quality, although similar in performance. I live in a high dust environment though, but I am getting a nice OC on this air cooled 1700+ with a 462+. I Gave my SLK-8000 away which was it's competitor at the time. The Thermalright products are usualy better for the money though. I always get a high CFM fan and hook it to a rheobuss, say I'll see how high I can clock with the fan on low, and always end up turning the fan to high and pushing for MHZ....

shyboi said:
So my question it this: Given the 2 choices which option would you choose? Further, which one would you choose to run at a lower fan rpm and expect greater cooling potential from it.
I'd go with the Swiftech MCX462-V if I were to run a quieter 92mm fan. The 92mm Panaflo Low is a good choice.

Back