PLEASE help.... dont know what ram to get to help me OC my intel...

Nexxus

Limp Gawd
cant decide.. All 3 are great...

Choice 1:
1GB (2 x 512MB) Kingston HyperX BH-5 (PC3200): $305Shipped

Choice 2:
2x512Mb, Winbond BH-5 Buffalo PC3700, : $315 shipped. (no heat spreaders)

Choice 3:
Corsair XMS 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4000 w/ Platinum-Silver Heat Spreader 3-4-4-8
$315 shipped

waddaya guys think?

Im leaning torwards choice 2 at the mometn...Looking for the best ram to overclock my system with

Intel P4 3.2ghz
Asus P4C800-e Deluxe Mobo

Id go with 3... maybe 1... definetly not 2. No heat spreaders? Come on. I have #3 and they overdclocked quite well for me :D

I think BH-5 is BH-5.. doesn't matter if it's rated at 3500 or 3200

I'd go with the hyperx, as long as you burn it in, I've heard good things about it.

[edit]
Most people end up removing heatspreaders anyway. They're more like heat blankets.

mpK1337 said:
Id go with 3... maybe 1... definetly not 2. No heat spreaders? Come on. I have #3 and they overdclocked quite well for me :D

Heat spreaders don't do shit unless you have some other cooling system in place as well. My choice would be 3 definately. I have never heard of choice 2; and if you cant reach pc 4000 speeds on the fsb, you might be able to get tighter timings out of them as well. 3 is top notch.

I'd say forget those three choices and go with the Corsair TwinX1024-3200XLPRO for $328 here, with free 2nd day shipping. If you don't need the cool LED's, save $30 and go with this. I just bought some of the Pro series myself... ;)

I would go with the Kingston HyperX out of those choices. Buffalo isn't known to be a very high quality RAM manufacturer.

Have you looked at the Mushkin offerings? Mushkin is pretty much the pinacle as far as RAM goes. They have the highest quality PCB's and their RAM usually overclocks really well. They also have the best customer support out there.

I would go with PC3200 and tight timings. Bandwidth isn't real important on the P4's because of dual channel. Timings will affect areas like gaming performance. Games use very little bandwidth in conjunction with what they have available on systems today.

wtburnette said:
I'd say forget those three choices and go with the Corsair TwinX1024-3200XLPRO for $328 here, with free 2nd day shipping. If you don't need the cool LED's, save $30 and go with this. I just bought some of the Pro series myself... ;)

i'd get that, think u can o/c it to DDR500 and above.

burningrave101 said:
I would go with PC3200 and tight timings. Bandwidth isn't real important on the P4's because of dual channel.

I've read just the opposite - that tight timings are a waste of time on a P4. In this case that would mean to go with DDR500/PC4000 and loose timings instead of PC3200 with tight timings..

wallijonn said:
I've read just the opposite - that tight timings are a waste of time on a P4. In this case that would mean to go with DDR500/PC4000 and loose timings instead of PC3200 with tight timings..

Thats not true though. There have been some good Timings vs Bandwidth articles posted online in the last year. Try PCStats.com, there is a very good Memory Bandwidth vs Latency Timings article there.

Games dont rely on heavy bandwidth. The only things that make use of lots of bandwidth are applications like CAD that use alot of raw data. Games are quick response programs and it doesn't matter how high of bandwidth you have because just like the amount of RAM you have, it only uses a certain amount that it needs and any more after that isn't giving you any more performance. The timings however will affect performance anywhere from 3-5% usually.

Pentium 4's have Dual Channel motherboards and when Dual Channel is enabled it effectively doubles your bandwidth. Its usually not double though. Its usually like 5GB/s on PC3200. Thats still more bandwidth then the single channel A64 provides and yet the A64 is faster because of its on-die low latency memory controller.

Timings are everything if your wanting the best gaming performance.

Back