Please help - connecting 2 wireless routers together...

Danith

2[H]4U
Ok, I had an extra wireless router laying around, and I decided to replace the switch in my room with it so I can actually receive a wireless signal up here.. The basic layout of the whole thing is -
Internet comes in downstairs and is connected to a Linksys WRT54G router (V3) running Tailsman basic firmware (www.sveasoft.com) I have a cat-5 cable running from that, up through the wall to my room - which is now using a Netgear WGR614 v4 with the most up-to date firmware.. I got the wired part all working right (disabled DHCP on netgear router.. set it's ip to 192.168.1.2) - it's the wireless thats really annoying me.

both routers are 54mb G/B.. I have both set to the same SSID, with the same WEP key, and the same channel, 3. But on my laptop, which is using a Netgear WG511 card - it seems to default to the router downstairs, even though it's showing a signal strength of ~30%, while the netgear is showing 99-100%... no matter what I do, it always chooses to use the router downstairs :(

Any tips, besides just assigning a different SSID to the router, and going that route?

hmm.. Apprently it was something the netgear wireless access setup software did - cleaned it out, and using the windows wireless access setup made it connect through the one I wanted.. Anyone know of programs to manage and configure your wireless card? I hear bad things about the default windows one :D

windows one for me doesnt pick up the networks on the edge. anyone here at all know of any programs that are free?

Back