Please help before I shoot something...

I have spent the better part of my evening trying to fix my really messed up network. My server (\\shuttle\shuttlecock) could not be detected by any computers on my network. So I end up spending a lot of time configuring the network through the craptasticlly fun network wizzard! Oh joy! Well eventually I get it working...kinda. The result now is I can do everything I want on the network but now on my main computer I have 3 fun little network cable unplugged icons. these are for some mac bridges or whatever that were set up when messing with the wizard (Again WHAT FUN!!) and now I cant delete them, it wont let me. I cant disable them, again it wont let me. Is there a way around these errors? Or am I stuck with these 3 nice icons in my taskbar till my next format/reinstall? Screen below.

WTF.Network.jpg

why not just remove the bridges? If they aren't working then they can't be part of the fix to your network.

You don't need those bridges so delete em all. All you need to worry about is "Local Area Connection".

enforcer17 said:
You don't need those bridges so delete em all. All you need to worry about is "Local Area Connection".

Hello, welcome to the thread. How about actually reading it next time. It specificly says
I cant delete them, it wont let me.

Crashmaster - how about trying to remove them in safe mode?

If that doesn't work, try using System Restore to go back to an earlier point.

Not really a solution, but, I think there is a way that you can have the icon not display in the system tray. Registry hack maybe? At least that way you wont have to stare at the annoying icons in the bar. Also, if you could find which registry key is associated with the connections, you could try deleting those keys. Just make sure you know that it is the key responsible, otherwise you are asking for a re-install.

nuclearfly said:
Not really a solution, but, I think there is a way that you can have the icon not display in the system tray. Registry hack maybe? At least that way you wont have to stare at the annoying icons in the bar. Also, if you could find which registry key is associated with the connections, you could try deleting those keys. Just make sure you know that it is the key responsible, otherwise you are asking for a re-install.

Or you could just tell the taskbar not to display the icons even when they are active...

It -should- let you delete them, but since you said it won't let you try this:

Go to Device Manager

Say View, Show Hidden Devices

Now expand the network adapters tree - can you "uninstall" or delete them there?

You can also try going under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters\Interfaces and removing everything except for the network card you know is working/the one you are using. Reboot and see if they are gone or if it will let you delete them now.

You could also try download the 3COM diagnostics/toolset for 3C90x based cards (yes, I see you have an intel based card - stick with me), as I've seen in the past that it will find old/removed/dead/uninstalled connections and allow me to delete them - even though I use all intel cards as well. Worth a shot anyhow... better than reinstalling the OS. =)

Hope that helps,

I realized this morning that i cant uninstall the network devices or even disable them. I'll try what Orinthical said when I get home, @ school now. If that doesnt work i'm gonna try for a format reinstall. It needs it anyway, it's been a year and a half

OMG! Thank you so much Orinthical! I tried it and it worked. You just saved me from a formet reinstall. woho!

Back