• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please help an OCing beginner

ManoCamaro

n00b
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
5
First, sorry for the complete newbie thread. I know you get them all the time, but this forum has been one of the best in aiding my research.

I currently have a 3+ year old machine I'm looking to overhaul and OC a bit. I'm looking to just rip the heart of the machine out, because I've changed the video card out and sound card out over time and am still happy with them. My video card is agp so that's why I've picked this particular MB. While I was at it I figured a new power supply was in order. Have a look at the specs and please let me know what you think:

Venice 3000+ http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80699-5
Epox EP-9NDA3+ http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246556
1 GB (2x512) Crucial DDR400 http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80098-0
Cooler Master RS-450-ACLY http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370775

I'm not looking for much on the OC, this will be my first shot at it. However, I've been reading around for a while and tried to take all the suggestions I've found in guides, etc. However, it has been a bit much to take in. Thanks for any help/suggestions you might have and let me know if I'm missing something I should need.
 
You need a good heatsink and some arctic silver.

It seems the favorite heatsink here is the xp-90, but i really like my zalman 7000alcu.


also, are you getting a new video card or sticking with an agp card you already have?
 
Sticking with the one already in it. It's a 9800 Pro and sure it's aging. However, if this setup goes well I'll give this over to my better half and build a real machine in the next couple of weeks. I just need to at least bring this up to some current standard right now.
 
Hey, it was easy to miss in there. So, a new heatsink. If I'm not looking to push the OC on this, is it still necessary? I'll for sure get one when I build my next machine since I'll be looking to go quite a bit further. I might be wrong about this, as I'm having trouble verifying it right now, but haven't a lot of people done fine with the stock one? I know it's louder, etc. but in pure numbers does it hold up at all?
 
I also meant to ask, since you didn't mention anything other than arctic silver and a HSF, do my choices seem decent? If anyone else would like to throw in their two cents, please have at it.
 
I think you could get a better power supply with a little more power but other than that everything looks ok to me.

In terms of the HSF, yes you can get by with the stock cooler but if you want to OC then I highly recommend you purchase a quality HSF.
 
everything I know about OCing I learned from Megatokyo
8fans-vi.gif


nekkid_skllz-vi.gif


there was another one about a smoking compy but I couldn't find it.
 
EDIT:

Apparently the board was shorting out on the case. I can get the board to post properly when I use the test switch on my PSU, but when I try to use the power button on the PWR_ON connector on the motherboard, nothing happens. I've tried to manually connect the connector, but still no result.

Any ideas?

I know at this point the thread probably belongs in another section. If so, I'm sorry about that.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top