PLEASE HELP: Access is Denied message

jewbloob

n00b
Alright, I have just recently gotten a new computer. I decided to take the hard drive out of my old comp and stick it in my new comp so I dont have to burn DVDs upon DVDs of my random shit. But when I go to access my old documents folder, I get an Access is Denied message. Tooltips say the folder is empty. I am very worried that I might have lost my data somehow.

Running windows XP pro, hard drive is 120gb NTFS.

Can you see the directory structure on the "Old PC" drive when it's plugged in on the new rig?

If so, My suggestion is to place it back in the old rig, create a appropriately named directlry such as "Archive" with permissions set on the directory to "Allow all local users access"

Then copy/move all the mp3's/pr0n/gamefiles/iso's :D to that directory.

Once you've spirited all of the files to this directory, swap the drive back into the "New Rig" and give it another shot.

The reason you're having trouble is there's a security descriptor mismatch between the user account that's trying to access the resource, and the security descriptors that are locking down the specific directories.

On second thought, you could put the drive in the old PC, right click the "C:" drive select "Properties" This displays the "Local Disk (C: ) Properties" window.
Click the "Sharing" tab and click the "I understand that the risk but want to share the root of the drive" link and this will display the "Local Sharing and Security pane" This will tell you to drag the folder to "Shared Documents." So do that instead.

Just a wild guess but those two idears should work

...way to leave me hanging

well i am on my 'old rig' now. it is slow as shit though. is there any way just to unrestrict access? i have about 60 gigs in this folder to move

jewbloob said:
...way to leave me hanging

Clicked post before i finished. I'll be here a little while so if you want to shoot more q's at me you can until the missus gets pissed that I'm up eating birthday cake instead of getting into bed.

bah, now i cannot get my computer to boot with the old hard drive in! i think it is trying to boot off of it. i took it out of the boot order in the bios, yet i still boot from it.

jewbloob said:
bah, now i cannot get my computer to boot with the old hard drive in! i think it is trying to boot off of it. i took it out of the boot order in the bios, yet i still boot from it.
Check your jumpers
Make sure the OldHD is set up as the Primary slave (to the New Rig's Primary Master HD) or secondary master

Does the new rig boot w/o the old HD in there?

i thought of putting it as secondary master, and now the new rig boots (new rig's primary HDD is SATA, old HDD is IDE). it does boot without it.

but i still cant access it even after setting permission to the root.

i want to avoid moving all my files to a new folder. it is simply too much for this celeron 533 to handle. is there a just a simple way to remove these restrictions?

makes sense. but i dont have a win2k boot disk, and last time i checked, the recovery console was a half-assed version of dos. i assume there is no xcopy32, so how would i go about doing this?

bootdisk.com is your friend

What I suggest is you put your "Old" drive in your New PC and boot with a 2K floppy into the recovery console. Then xcopy over the files from, say D:\Program Files\My Documents\ to C:\Archive\

That way you'll only bemoving files from dynamic directories on D: to one static directory on C:\

What are the specs of each machine? Are they both intel chipsets?

Do you have a spare, third HD to make use of?

no--new comp is amd based, old comp is intel. quick specs, omitting irrelevance:

new:
amd athlon 2200+ mobile (soon to be overclocked)
1gb corsair ram
asus A7N8X-E deluxe mobo
120gb western digital sata hard drive

old:
celeron 533
384mb ram
intel 82810 chipset
120gb seagate barracuda ide hard drive

Off topic:

I just got a A7N8X-E Deluxe, and after a little trouble with the 1st one that I recieved from Newegg and subsequently RMA'ed, I couldn't be happier with it. </ot>

I'm still thinking over here, trying to come up with a silver bullet.

well i will repeat once more that i just want to strip the folder of these useless securities. it will make my life difficult if i have to move the entire folder.

jewbloob said:
well i will repeat once more that i just want to strip the folder of these useless securities. it will make my life difficult if i have to move the entire folder.

Yeah, that would be nice now wouldn't it. Are you researching your problem over there? Slow your roll there buddy, you're getting free tech support here. Chill... Mkay?

Did you try and change the permissions at the top level of the Old PC's C: drive? Make sure you go to Advanced and replace permissions on all subdirectories to ripple those permsission changes down the file tree.

Edit: Are you running XP Home or Pro?

Are both of these PC's networked and could you copy the files that way?

This NTCompatible thread Might help

Back