Please give upgrade advice

solideliquid

Limp Gawd
Hello!

I am thinking of upgrading my X1800XT to an NV 8800GTS. Please check sig for other specs, my concern is my processor, it's a P4 3.6 stock which I purchased about two years ago. The question is, should I wait until I can afford a new computer (with Core 2 Duo)?

The thing is I don't see myself affording a whole new computer plus the cost of the video card, at least until 2008.

On top of it all, my PSU is a 460watt so I can't really go with the new ATi cards.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Why not just get the 8800GTS and upgrade the rest of the machine when you get enough $$$ ? :)

The netburst Pentiums ain´t that great processors, but I think 3,6MHz is enough to feed 8800GTS. Well somebody with more knowledge on bottlenecks can comment on that.

Can your mobo not take Pentium-Ds? Or Core 2s? It might have support for them (moreso the former than the latter), which would make a CPU upgrade an option.

But the 8800GTS is not a bad choice.

Your video card is not that bad. I just read on the Intel price cuts and some people are speculating that Intel is doing this because they know the new K10 coming out from AMD might be a real winner. As a matter of fact, they say some of their CPUs are coming down as much as 50% in price.

Looks like things will really shake up in the next few months. Some say as early as next month.:eek:

well if you got a 8800 it would bottleneck you CPU pretty bad I think , if I were you I would hold out a few more months and and get the best possible deals on the Intel Core 2 duo's , also the ddr2 800 ram you would need to run it is pretty cheap right now on newegg so you might wanna pick up a couple gigs of that now while its cheap, but like the other person said I would get the 8800gts now and when you have the money for a core 2 and a motherboard do it then in a couple of months.

Thank you all for all the comments.

Unfortunately, with my intel 925X mobo I can only upgrade to the P4 3.8 (I am pretty sure about this correct me if I'm wrong, please!) and that isn't a worthy upgrade.

I will most likely upgrade to the 8800GTS and a widescreen LCD capable of 1680 x 1050.

Thank you all for all the comments.

Unfortunately, with my intel 925X mobo I can only upgrade to the P4 3.8 (I am pretty sure about this correct me if I'm wrong, please!) and that isn't a worthy upgrade.

I will most likely upgrade to the 8800GTS and a widescreen LCD capable of 1680 x 1050.

What is the model # of your mobo?

Grab the 640MB 8800GTS. You should notice a difference at that resolution.

I don't think you'll have /that/ much trouble with your processor.

Back