Please explain window etching to me

Skier

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 21, 2000
Messages
5,129
I checked the FAQ and found a link or two but not what I'm looking for. I have a stencil design all made up for a window in my case but am not sure how to etch it into the glass. Do I just score the surface of the glass with my Dremel in the appropriate spots or is there a different technique I have to use?
 
You pretty much got it...to me though, just using a wood carving bit of a Dremel to draw the
outline is not a true etch.

Imagine instead of drawing a pattern on acrylic, you actually carve large crevices, in essence
using the same technique of creating a rubber stamp from a blank piece of rubber, carving a
design halfway through or at various depths of the acrylic window (like pumpkin carving) but
not actually going all the way through.

Either way you do it, I recommend using the router tool to create your etch, go slow and use
a high rpm.
 
Ok, thank you. I'm going to try to pick up a few practice pieces today and see what happens. This weekend might result in me being very bored so I need to find something to entertain myself with. ;)
 
The biggest trick to etching is is not melting the plastic. Usually, the way I cut plexy or acrylic is to use a dremel carbide cutter on low RPM. Sometimes I will just dig into it and later pick off the melted globs of plastic and clean up the edges with a sanding drum. Obviously this wouldn't work for etching so you need to employ a few techniques to keep the plastic from melting.
Some tricks I use:
Spray on some sort of liquid to keep the plastic from overheating
Use the lowest RPM available on my tool
make quick gentle cuts rather than a continueous long cut
Make multiple passes on a single cut to build up the depth

Sometimes I will lay an entire piece of plastic in a pan of shallow water and deal with getting wet from the spray. It's messy, but can get good results.
 
Back
Top