• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please explain the object to Oblivion IV

Dethman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2005
Messages
1,081
Hey guys, I have this game, and ive put maybe 6-7 hours into it, So far I have stolen some horses and traveled around the world, Completed a few what seem to me, really random missions that don't seem to get me anything. If you guys could provide some tips to getting started and help me maybe understand the story line a little better, that would be a great help to get me started in this game
 
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (not Oblivion IV ;)) is intended to be an open ended action RPG. You can do whatever you want in the world. The "main" story is what was begun in the beginning sewer level when the Emporer was assassinated and is continued by going to Chorrol and giving the Amulet to Jauffre. However there are several factions you can join that all have their own story lines. There are also miscellaneous quests in each city and you can also find quests in random places outside of the main cities. Some quests don't open up to you until you gain a certain fame level. Others are only open if you get a high enough infamy level. Then of course there are the hundreds of caves, ruins, and forts to loot.
 
play the main quest which i didnt like as much as just doing quest for guilds.
 
play the main quest which i didnt like as much as just doing quest for guilds.

Then why would you tell him to play it?

When I played Oblivion, I didn't know about the side quests. I completed the main quest in a few days (at level 7), then went back and tried to do some other quests. I had just lost interest by then. :\

So.. before you beat the main quest, I suggest you do lots of the side quests. There are people I know they are around level 45! I had no idea how they got that far when I first beat the game, but the answer is simple: side quests.
 
The object of The Elder Scrolls series is to play the greatest of open-ended games.

I have played over 300 hours of Oblivion and am yet to complete the Main Quest.
 
Its been a while since I played, but I remember being able to chose what quest line you wanted to be active. So if you choose to get into the story a little to understand the game I would choose to make the main story quest your active quest. I think its done by bringing up your main character sheet.

Sorry. its been a while since I played it. Hopefully someone can fill in the blanks I missed.
 
You can't really beat the game like a traditional linear type of game. You can find every dungeon, and complete most of the quests, but i don't know if that qualifies as beating the game. Definitely do the faction quests. The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests in particular are really fun. The stealthy quests can be really nailbiting.
 
boring at first, gets funner later on. side quests are each fun mini stories. graphics ain't too shabby. overall a great time waster.
 
I haven't gotten to far into the game because I couldn't stand using a controller. I already purchased it again for PC so I'll acutally finish it when I get the new rig together.

Just go around and adventure. Have fun while you're doing it and if you can get over a 100 hours in the game, I'd say it was worth the money easy. A lot better than some of the new games which are 8-16 hours long and still cost $50.
 
I just play it to try out new mods and take pictures. The game really has no depth. The only quests I liked were the DB quests (also heard the Thieves Guild has some good ones too).
 
There is no object. There is a main quest you can complete in a few hours, after that theres hundreds of mini missions to do, some of which are tied in to joining guilds and improving your character.
 
You can also make up a goal and roleplay. For instance, you could be play a blind khajit who is racist against khajit but doesn't know he is a khajit :D
 
I felt slightly overwhelmed when I played Oblivion by the sheer number of missions and jobs you could do. But I loved it, nonetheless :)
 
Yea, I played Oblivion for like 200 hours, and am kind of bored of it, tried playing it again today, and it was fun until I had to restart so then I just got out of the dungeon and left, will probably pick up the expansion and the nights of the nine after I beat Zelda for the wii.
 
haha thanks guys, sounds good, but i dont know if i like the structure of a main quest and lots of other quests, leveling up your player, and not using him online, seems a little redundant to me
 
Leveling up a player online seems like an e-penis thing to me...

(though I love WoW, I just dont play it like that)
 
I just play it to try out new mods and take pictures. The game really has no depth. The only quests I liked were the DB quests (also heard the Thieves Guild has some good ones too).

well the game in my opinion isn't quite as good as morrowind, but it does have tons of stuff to do. You really should try the thieves guild. I'd say that's my second favorite guild next to the Dark Brotherhood.

And, anyone who has this game and doesn't do the DB story because they want to be "good" is missing out on the best part of the game.

Even though it's by most accounts a great game, it won't be for everyone.

Oh, and for those that say "what's the point of leveling up in a single player rpg" I have some advice: don't level up; you don't have to :p
 
some people love it and some people hate it. I Love sidequests but I hate complete open ended games. I need structure and I cannot stand games like oblivion/morrowind. Either you love it or hate it and cant force yourself to like it.
 
I played oblivion for few hours...i really liked it, until i don't know how i ended up in HELL...and after taking a 30 min walk, i had enough lol :eek:
 
I've put over 100 hours to Oblivion and i like it, a lot. Only i've given up playing it until i get a new computer, my laptop just can't handle it and having the graphics settings low really isn't very appealing when i just want to wander around the forests and such. I must say, the main quest isn't very much fun; a lot more fun can be had with the other quests, most of which have a lot of depth. The leveling system really isn't thought out, though. Everything else levels up with you, so you don't really achieve anything. Say you want to reach a certain level so Daedric armour becomes available, as soon as you get it so do most of the other NPCs. I hardly expect a bandit to be walking around with the best armour in the game, but there are level scaling mods to fix this issue.

Another thing i like is the console. There is so much more game which i haven't yet explored, and quite a few 'secret places' like testing areas which can be accessed by tapping in a few commands, not to mention the hundreds of items you can get, half of which i've never even seen.
 
i got this question..
can you still play the sidequests after u have finished the main story?
or do u like have to open up an older save game before u finished it.
 
i got this question..
can you still play the sidequests after u have finished the main story?
or do u like have to open up an older save game before u finished it.

Even if you complete the main quest, you can continue with other quests. Just about anything, within limits, can be done in any order.
 
Even if you complete the main quest, you can continue with other quests. Just about anything, within limits, can be done in any order.

Right. The game doesn't ever "end." You can theoretically find every single thing there is to do in the game, but even then, the game doesn't just stop. It's not a linear start to finish game. Once you leave the sewers at the start of the game you can do whatever you want.
 
Right. The game doesn't ever "end." You can theoretically find every single thing there is to do in the game, but even then, the game doesn't just stop. It's not a linear start to finish game. Once you leave the sewers at the start of the game you can do whatever you want.

Yep, this is generally the idea with role playing games. You pick a role, not have the game pick one for you.
 
...help me maybe understand the story line a little better, that would be a great help to get me started in this game

Psstt! He had something to do with that guy you met at the beginning of the game, you know the Emperor and some wacky side quest about SAVING THE WORLD. I suppose you could enable the big NEON sign cheat.:p

Seriously. The game is really broken into three categories: main quest which is handed to you at the beginning of the game, guild quests and tons of random side stuff. You could spend dozens of hours completing just those side quests. I would suggest joining a guild of your choice and finishing all of the quests for that guild. Take the side quests along the way that you desire and finally, finish the main quest. 50-100 hours later you will be done.

If you are not sure which of your quests are the main story line, why not list what you have we can point it out for you. Once you follow that quest, it is just a matter of following that thread to the end. Once you get used to how Oblivion handles the quest notes and maps you will realize that the game really does hold you hand to the point of putting markers on your map for any active quest. There is plenty do beside the main quest but once you get used to the interface, you really can't get lost.
 
i know im gonna hurt some feelings, but the game was really overhyped. i just didnt get the apeal of doing side quests 24/7. some of the quests were fun and had cool plot twists, but for the most part it wasnt all that fun. i sold it after 2 weeks of trying to like it. so many people hyped me about this game, somethin told me not to buy it 2. sometimes i forget i can just rent a game b4 buying it......
 
i know im gonna hurt some feelings, but the game was really overhyped. i just didnt get the apeal of doing side quests 24/7. some of the quests were fun and had cool plot twists, but for the most part it wasnt all that fun. i sold it after 2 weeks of trying to like it. so many people hyped me about this game, somethin told me not to buy it 2. sometimes i forget i can just rent a game b4 buying it......

Oblivion would be boring without mods.
 
Oblivion should have been morrowind with better graphics... Come on, this is how Oblivion plays: Get quest, fast travel to mark on map, follow mark on map to quest goal, finish quest, repeat x 1000. At least in Morrowind you had to use your brain and figure stuff out and find stuff on your own. I really hate the markers on the minimap that show you every dungeon and cave within 10 miles of where your standing, I mean, they made a huge beautiful world, let us explore it on our own.
 
Oblivion should have been morrowind with better graphics... Come on, this is how Oblivion plays: Get quest, fast travel to mark on map, follow mark on map to quest goal, finish quest, repeat x 1000. At least in Morrowind you had to use your brain and figure stuff out and find stuff on your own. I really hate the markers on the minimap that show you every dungeon and cave within 10 miles of where your standing, I mean, they made a huge beautiful world, let us explore it on our own.

Agreed, Oblivion seems to hold the player's hand through its simplistic gameplay. Then again, this is why I rarely do any quests at all. In fact, I never bothered to get past Kvatch in the main quest and this is from a guy who played the game over 300 hours. I still love the game. :)

I do hope they at least add some puzzles in the SI expansion, but I doubt it.
 
I wish i had seen the light earlier: working through all of those Oblivion gates was tedious!

yep, i can close an Oblivion Gate in less than 3 minutes, u have to do a lot of jumping and lava-swimming !! and pretty much run all the way thru, i rarely kill anyone cuz at the time i was playing it i didn´t have any mods installed and thus no new loot contents. it could get pretty boring
 
There was a mod to control how many (if any) extra gates open up. I had them turned way down because it was annoying to have them scattered all over the damn place.

I used Oscuro's Oblivion mod because the way all enemies leveled along with me felt wrong. His mod had some shortcomings but overall greatly improved my enjoyment. I felt like the weak enemies remained weak, and the strong enemies could become very damn strong, quite a challenge. He added on a cave full of Amazons just south of the city that I stumbled into by accident. Got my head handed to me by a bunch of half nekkied wimmen.

I also used a handful of other mods to improve things like key storage, alchemy ingredient weight, etc. Things that allowed me to just focus on what I found fun, or improved aspect of the UI.

I tried a couple of the "companion" mods but the AI was so awful they were not useful.
 
I liked morrowind much more than oblivion as well. I played about 4-5 hrs in oblivion and honestly i just disliked the storyline so much i just didnt feel compelled to play the game at all. I know there are mods now to fix many of the complaints i have, but its not worth the effort to me. The levels of monsters/dungeons increasing as your levels increased really annoyed me. As did the thieving. If i stole something in a town all the way to the east, then went to the west, somehow the guard knew i had stolen it. Even if No one saw me. Just an annoying game honestly.
 
You only have to do two or three gates in the entire game.

Yeah; i thought the more i do, the more help i'll get from the city guards at the final gate. I could have saved so much time and just decreased the difficulty.
 
Back
Top