Please explain a multiplayer FPS phenomenon that plagues me

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
There seems to be a huge discrepancy between the amount of bullets I need to kill someone in a game like Battlefield 3 and the incredibly-high speed at which I die from enemy fire.

My bullets seem to do very little damage in Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2. Guys can get to cover very easily. On the other side, I die extremely quickly. In BF3, it often comes up with my death down the bottom of the screen before I've actually finished taking damage, and there are plenty of instances of insta-deaths from other players' guns (as opposed to something obvious like a tank shell or a knife in the back). It gets worse as more people join the server, so I've been trying to stick to servers with less than 24 players.

When I bring this up in-game, I get the usual "your just shit" trolling (complete with incorrect grammar). My ping in BF3 for example is stated in the scoreboard as being between 40-70ms. In something like COD4, it is over 100. In Bad Company 2 it is around 150.

I am on ADSL2+, and SpeedTest shows my download speed at 6.29 Mbps and upload speed of 0.84 Mbps. I also live on the triangular island at the bottom of Australia, quite a distance away from the closest BF3 and BFBC2 servers.

Any ideas on why this keeps happening? Is my Internet connection not up to snuff for modern FPS games? Is this an experience everybody has? It just makes me rage and not enjoy multiplayer gaming at all, because I feel like my deaths are not being determined from getting continuously outplayed but from external factors outside player control.

In a lot of cases it's just bad netcode, BF3 was bad for this at launch from what I saw, you'd not get notified of hits you'd just take all 100 damage in a single hit and die.

I'm always at the top of the scoreboard in 64 player servers, killing people is easy as pie for me. How many hours do you have played?

Same happens to me sometimes and I live just outside Washington DC with crazy fast internet.
When I watch the killcam replay it occasionally looks like the guy saw me come around the corner before I even had my gun up, and what I saw on my screen was me firing at the same time as him which isn't shown on his POV from killcam.
Some of my buddies have commented on this too.
It doesn't happen all the time but there is the occasional head scratcher where I'm like, hmm, I definitely remember shooting at that guy but killcam isn't showing it.
Edit: I do have my connection options set to accept any game, regardless of quality of connection, maybe thats why? Some bad pings from time to time? Or I just suck, there is that...

What drives me even more crazy with FPS games (especially BOPS 2), is spawning.
The piece of shit has been spawning me literally right in front of the opposing team from time to time. I mean literally within their gun sights. And it does it to their team too, I will be aiming down my sights and all of a sudden an enemy is there, bam, dead. WTF? This is a serious flaw, this isn't even spawn camping, its just shit spawning on the game's part.

There seems to be a huge discrepancy between the amount of bullets I need to kill someone in a game like Battlefield 3 and the incredibly-high speed at which I die from enemy fire.

My bullets seem to do very little damage in Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2. Guys can get to cover very easily. On the other side, I die extremely quickly. In BF3, it often comes up with my death down the bottom of the screen before I've actually finished taking damage, and there are plenty of instances of insta-deaths from other players' guns (as opposed to something obvious like a tank shell or a knife in the back). It gets worse as more people join the server, so I've been trying to stick to servers with less than 24 players.

When I bring this up in-game, I get the usual "your just shit" trolling (complete with incorrect grammar). My ping in BF3 for example is stated in the scoreboard as being between 40-70ms. In something like COD4, it is over 100. In Bad Company 2 it is around 150.

I am on ADSL2+, and SpeedTest shows my download speed at 6.29 Mbps and upload speed of 0.84 Mbps. I also live on the triangular island at the bottom of Australia, quite a distance away from the closest BF3 and BFBC2 servers.

Any ideas on why this keeps happening? Is my Internet connection not up to snuff for modern FPS games? Is this an experience everybody has? It just makes me rage and not enjoy multiplayer gaming at all, because I feel like my deaths are not being determined from getting continuously outplayed but from external factors outside player control.

You upload speed is really low so i think that is your problem right there. I had this same problem just recently and had my ISP install a new modem because of bad download/upload speeds. But before that my upload speed was around what you are getting and i could not do well in BF3. Seemed like i could put a whole clip in someone just for them to turn around with a couple rounds and kill me, made me rage quit so many times.

Just for a comparison before the new modem i would get 5 kills but around 15 to 20 deaths, after the new modem i jumped in a server and went 27 kills to 10 deaths, big difference. My speeds before the new modem was 6.30 Mbps\download - 0.68 Mbps\upload and around a 200 ping. After the new modem 11.13 Mbps\download - 4.98 Mbps\upload and a 24 ping. Maybe call your ISP to see if they can give you some more upload speed or get them to check your modem and lines. I know exactly how you feel and its no fun at all.

Last edited:
Okay, for Bad Company 2, that ping you are seeing is inaccurate, every server is different but I know that the way that game works it actually adds ping (or masks it, not sure yet) so that everyone is on an even playing field? Something to that extent.

A lot of the other issues you're having seems to be your connection issues. that is a VERY low upload speed. And on top of that, BF3 doesn't have the best net code..

His bullets reach the server faster than yours. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

If it was 1000ping players vs 90ping players, the 1000 pingers would need to shoot atleast a full seconds before the low pingers do. If it was a head on encounter and both shot at the same time, the game deducts the enemy's life in advance but in the end, the high pinger is dead before his data packet containing his shots reach the server and is discarded. And the enemys life suddenly goes back to 100% since the server says he didn't get damaged after all.

However, it will also happen even to low pingers if their upload speed is erratic. Your bullets has to consistently reach the server before his does for it to count.

The more annoying aspect is that leading your shots puts you at a disadvantage. So if you had started the shots hitting the wall beside him, if you then point your crosshair at the enemy without letting go of the trigger, your shots then seems to be discarded ro atleast, very low priority. So if you trail it towards the enemy, he notices you, and shoots, more than likely you'll be the one dead even tho you started hitting him first.

A general rule of thumb is that if this happens erratically with no common occurrence its hacking, if it happens with people warping around their connection sucks, if it happens to everyone who plays the game its bad net code, and if it happens to just you then you likely suck and need to learn how to play.

Is upload speed that important for games these days? I remembered CS:S would use only ~14kbps of upload. Do games use 1mbps+ now?

Is upload speed that important for games these days? I remembered CS:S would use only ~14kbps of upload. Do games use 1mbps+ now?

Well consider that your PC is using more connection than just BF3 when you're playing

BFBC2 and BF3 have shitty lag and netcode. On the offensive side you have to consider that when aiming. I tend to aim a bit ahead of a straffing target but I spose you could make the case for time between your shot, the hit and bullet drop. on the defensive side you should always always be moving and near cover. Yeah you'll sometimes die before it seems like you should of. Just bad coding but the hits are usually correct.

From my experience upload speed is critical if you want to do any good or get any type of enjoyment playing online games. That bad modem i had screwed me for four months playing BF3. My stats show it too, horrible. I've had some people tell me it isnt real important unless you host a game but i know better from experiencing it.

Just because you have a high bandwidth doesn't necessarily mean it's fast.

His bullets reach the server faster than yours. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

If it was 1000ping players vs 90ping players, the 1000 pingers would need to shoot atleast a full seconds before the low pingers do. If it was a head on encounter and both shot at the same time, the game deducts the enemy's life in advance but in the end, the high pinger is dead before his data packet containing his shots reach the server and is discarded. And the enemys life suddenly goes back to 100% since the server says he didn't get damaged after all.

However, it will also happen even to low pingers if their upload speed is erratic. Your bullets has to consistently reach the server before his does for it to count.

The more annoying aspect is that leading your shots puts you at a disadvantage. So if you had started the shots hitting the wall beside him, if you then point your crosshair at the enemy without letting go of the trigger, your shots then seems to be discarded ro atleast, very low priority. So if you trail it towards the enemy, he notices you, and shoots, more than likely you'll be the one dead even tho you started hitting him first.

So you are saying that BF3 does not have proper lag compensation?

Lag compensation doesn't mean you can beat ping, compensated or not, whoever has lower latency is still informing the server sooner.

Getting hit around a corner is an artifact of the lag compensation, and you shouldn't be leading shots in games that implement backwards reconciliation to compensate.

Do you have an ATI card? Do you use MLAA?

I found that MLAA does something really strange like offsetting targeting reticle for me. All I know is that I can't hit anything with MLAA on.

Shoot them in the head...

Do you have an ATI card? Do you use MLAA?

I found that MLAA does something really strange like offsetting targeting reticle for me. All I know is that I can't hit anything with MLAA on.

It's probably because it's like trying to fire a weapon with vasoline rubbed all over your eyes.

It's the client based hit detection. If someone hits you on their screen it does not matter what their ping is, the hit will register. Having a bad ping in BF3 actually provides you with a small benefit. I guess that could be it, I have no idea what the pings of the players playing in Australia are like...

My stats are around 800SPM, 20% accuracy and a KD of 3 - it's really obvious to me when the client based hit detection kills me, or when the shitty suppression mechanic kills me (only works when you miss, not when you hit - rewarding poor accuracy). I don't know your gameplay stats... but if your accuracy hovers at around 10% or you can't manage more than 250 score per minute it's more likely down to player ability than hit detection.

Back