Heres the crazy plan...

My current setup is
Shuttle xpc Nforce 2
xp2700 barton FSB 333
Ati 9800pro
Corsiar 1gb

running at stock.
So if I was to unlock the cpu and (underclock)cough*
to say about a xp 2100 level do you think i could simply remove the fan altogether and let it try to cool itself using shuttle ice cooler.
Currently with the fan running at 2000rpm the cpu temp runs 41C.
Any ever tried this before?

You would need to lower the voltage too (this is what really effects heat) I wouldn't go without a fan, but rather use a very low noise one (panaflow, vantec stealth, papst, etc)

And try cutting out the fan grils on the shuttle, normally that lowers the temps a little bit, and get some good thermal compund (artic silver 5)

Hope this helps

Got a fanless PSU?

I ask simply because if you do this (and there is no reason to assume it wouldn't work, with a big enough heatsink and a low enough underclock + voltage drop), you're just going to end up going 'GEEZ I never noticed how loud the PSU fan was before'.

:).

Erik

I can not understand why anyone would consider loss of performance an acceptable tradeoff to quiet down a machine. I can not understand that.

Performance is normally noisy. That's just the way it is. Everyone using low speed fans and fan speed controllers would HATE my computer. You can hear the air pass through it. Not to mention the high pitched whine of my fans. Four hard drives don't help either. :)

I just can't understand the obsession with silence people seem to have these days with PC's.

There's no point in doing this. Your hard drive(s) will drive you nuts as soon as your PC makes no noise.

Also, as someone already mentioned, underclocking it won't do much, it's the voltage you need to change, and you won't get too far with that considering the 2700 is near the top of that product line and is close to its max already.

He's a witch!

try a quieter fan or something if noise is bothering you, that or mod the hell out of it :p

Maybe use sound proofing foam on the inside of the case? Other than that I am not sure what else you can do.

I still don't understand the extreme desire for silence. But theres my suggestion on how to better attain your goal.

In a perfect world high performance PC's would make no noise. But unfortunatley that just isn't the case. So my advice is just to deal with it.

Originally posted by Sir-Fragalot
Performance is normally noisy.

yes...even some high perf watercooling setups are noisy b/c the fans on the radiators.

The same also holds true for cars. Have you ever seen a super-fast car that was also very quiet???? ...Of course...most people don't mind the loud rumble of a good engine....:rolleyes:

Mmm, muscle cars.

Most of the noise coming from my computer is the airflow, not anything whining that I can hear.

I heard the vantec tornado was really quiet..... ;)

But seriously, I would cut your voltages, and also cut your speed down to about half. Then try it. Make sure you have Arctic silver 5 on there. Also, if it's not enough, just pop in a case fan or something. Or one of the above mentioned fans to keep it cool.

And yes, they are right about the powersupply and the HD. Those noises are impossible to get rid of.

Have you thought about building a mini-itx machine instead of shuttle?

www.mini-itx.com

Originally posted by nst6563
...Of course...most people don't mind the loud rumble of a good engine....
yeah, well, the whining of fans from a fast computer isn't quite the same;)

Fan less?

Whotsthat?

There are fans that make less noise then a hot cup of coffee. You might want to consider that.

Originally posted by maxkilling
Fan less?

Whotsthat?

There are fans that make less noise then a hot cup of coffee. You might want to consider that.

lol, can't say i've ever left my coffee running at night and then been pissed that's it's making to much noise to let me sleep.

just backing up what others have said.

get the quietist fan you can (which will be quieter than the HD and PSU), cut ou the grills in the case, use some acoustic matting, apply AS5 than run the cpu as fast as it will go before crapping out, this might result in an underclock or even an overclock or just leaving it at stock. doesn't really matter if your not bothered about performance.

FYI i've running fanless before out of curiosity and even with two case fans hovering above the cpu (slk 800) the temperatures just slowly got higher and higher until they got into the 60's and i said no more

After finally getting my watercooled machine to be fan-quiet, the hard drives (four 7200 RPM WDs) drive me NUTS. So you know what? I run full speed. The Fan noise cancels the ANNOYING WHINE.

Oh, and as cool as the ICE is, it won't handle passive cooling. You'll be needing at least a Panaflo L1A.

Also, if you're going low power/heat, you need a Mobile Barton, not that spaceheater 2700 :p

Yes, there IS that much of a difference.

Those new apple towers run really quiet, and there's just something cool about watching the fans inside speed up and slow down as you use the computer.

I'd love to buy some of those (fans, or computers;)).

Erik

Originally posted by Nichonl
...underclock...

im sorry, is it opposite day today? :p

heres what i would do, put the cpu at whatever speed you want to run it at, and in the smallest increments you can, lower the voltage testing stability with prime95. you need to get that voltage as low as possible. i have an emachines m5310 with an athlon xp-m 2400, and when im running on battery and i need it to last i force the cpu to run at 530mhz (lowest itll go) and i have a program that will lower the voltage from 1.05v to 0.925v and that small decrease gives me about an extra 20 mintues of battery life.

Originally posted by Sir-Fragalot
I can not understand why anyone would consider loss of performance an acceptable tradeoff to quiet down a machine. I can not understand that.

Performance is normally noisy. That's just the way it is. Everyone using low speed fans and fan speed controllers would HATE my computer. You can hear the air pass through it. Not to mention the high pitched whine of my fans. Four hard drives don't help either. :)

I just can't understand the obsession with silence people seem to have these days with PC's.

I used to feel the same way. Years of using overclocked machines with lots of fans is starting to slowly drive me insane.

I can't sleep with my computers on anymore, and I am constantly aware of the noise when I get home from work :/

Pretty soon I imagine I'll go from "overclocker" to "silent pc user"

Originally posted by SilkenRogue
I used to feel the same way. Years of using overclocked machines with lots of fans is starting to slowly drive me insane.

I can't sleep with my computers on anymore, and I am constantly aware of the noise when I get home from work :/

Pretty soon I imagine I'll go from "overclocker" to "silent pc user"

i went from a volcano 7+ with the fan running at 6000rpm to my koolance which is whisper silent....never again will i build a system with aircooling

Yeah, I don't run my gaming rid 24/7 anymore with those vantec tornados. I only run my work machine and server at night. Work machine has a volcano 11, and the work machine is stock. But now the Volcano 11 seems loud at night... I'm starting to look into water cooling or other forms of cooling. But if I go to that, I'm getting quality parts, so I'm checking out what people are buying around here to see what is good and what is not.

Originally posted by Nichonl
Heres the crazy plan...

My current setup is
Shuttle xpc Nforce 2
xp2700 barton FSB 333
Ati 9800pro
Corsiar 1gb

You got really fast and expensive parts and you want to underclock?

Also what r u thinking buying a 9800 pro...it puts out crazy heat. It raises the cpu temp of systems an average of 25F in my experience.

Originally posted by pinoy87
You got really fast and expensive parts and you want to underclock?

Also what r u thinking buying a 9800 pro...it puts out crazy heat. It raises the cpu temp of systems an average of 25F in my experience.

It definately doesn't raise temps that much, no way near that much with decent airflow through the case

if you want no noise, i strongly recommend a tornado fan

*sarcasm...hardy har har

why would you want to downclock?...just to drop heat?

Well, If you'd like a floating PC that isn't as loud as a Boeing 747, then the Vantec Tornado is great! lol

Thank you guys on all the suggestions you have been giving me.
I have taken some of them like removing the back fan grill.
Hey it Pic time!

As you can see the Fan grill is gone on both the cpu cooler and the PSU cooler. Ok so its a hack job but I will fix it later.
Pict0001.JPG

Also that 9800pro is getting plenty of cooling so dont worry about it.
Pict0002.JPG

Pict0004.JPG

Pict0005.JPG

Here you can see the large space that the cd rom drive would normaly fit inside.
Pict0006.JPG

Pict0007.JPG

Pict0009.JPG

Pict0010.JPG

Pict0011.JPG

So as you can see the cd drive is empty. What im thinking i could do if fit water cooling setup in there and hide the reservoir in there. The space is the size of a cd rom drive with about 1 inch to spare in the back.

My other thought is that I can use this to jet the heat.
outsidetn.JPG

Not sure where the pump is going to go but hey its all in the testing. Let me know what you think and any suggestions and I see if i cant pick up some parts.

Back