Please critique new system setup

Kal525

n00b
I am building a new computer for some friends of mine, but have been out of the loop for a while. I have done some research and come up with the following parts list. Please offer any suggestions you have or things that I should be aware of. Also, I might downgrade some of the components in this list if it proves to be over budget.

All components will be obtained from newegg except for the case. For some reason newegg does not stock lian-li cases anymore.

here is the wishlist

The case I am considering is the Lian-li pc6089a which i will obtain from mwave.

All parts not listed are going to be reused from a previous computer.

Thanks for your input.

For the video card i would get a 9700 pro or 9800 pro instead.

You dont need anything larger then an Antec 430w.

You could save $200 from buying a 3000+ instead. The 3000+ is the same core speed as the 3200+, all AMD did was disable half of the L2 cache size so its only 512k. This makes very little difference in performance if you look at benchmarks.

Large die size leads to rather large numbers of defective dies left over. The L2 cache occupies more then 50% of the die so most defective dies are problems with the on-die cache memory. Disabling half the cache correct this problem and then AMD markets the 3000+ as a cost effective solution.

Back