• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please critique my case remix

jonathonball

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,427
Right now I'm using an old no name ATX case I bought from a mom and pop shop in like 2001. It's a nice case for the era, the sides slide into place and are held in by a third peice that slides into the top.. one thumb screw, two slides and i'm in.

But all is not well... the case is too small and has too poor of airflow for my current setup.

Right now I'm using:
The previously mentioned case
8800 GTS 320 /w stock cooler
Core i7 920 /w stock cooler
P6T Deluxe /w stock cooling
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2B) DDR3 1333 /w stock cooling
250gb and 500gb sata drives
sata dvd burner
Corsair HX 620w PSU

Here's what I'm looking at moving into:
Antec 300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&Tpk=antec 300
8800 GTS 320 /w ARCTIC COOLING ACCELS1 Rev 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016
Core i7 920 /w Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7..._LGA_775_LGA_1366_AM2_Xeon.html?tl=g40c14s757
everything else the same.

I'd like to stick with air. Don't really want to spend more than $200.
I built a pc for a coworker last month. He picked up the Antec 300 case.. it was well built, quiet-ish, had fan filters, and was CHEAP at $50.
I'm going with the ACCELS1 because it was well reviewed and is cheap (and i can't see spending too much on a cooler for a component that I'll probably replace before 2010.)
I like the Thermalright cooler because I think I might finally grow some balls and OC a little.

Thoughts? I'm ready to pull the trigger. :D
 
do it! the 300's are nice, and if it fits what you want to do then it's a sure thing.

but if you would actually like some advice, perhaps tell us a bit more about what you are expecting out of a case?
 
I wouldn't bother with a TRUE when an Xigmatek HDT-S1284EE with the mounting bracket is nearly half the price. As for the 8800GTS 320, I wouldn't bother upgrading the cooler on that either, the stock one is sufficient; save up the money and wait to get a newer card instead, a much more worthwhile purpose. The Antec 300, however, is a good choice.
 
but if you would actually like some advice, perhaps tell us a bit more about what you are expecting out of a case

I mainly game... I'm starting to strangle with only 750gb of hard drive space so I can see myself adding a drive or two. I'm mainly trying to reduce noise and temps and how often I have to pull my air compressor out to clean.
 
If you are willing to spend a bit more, the CM 590 or 690 would be an excellent choice.
 
Back
Top