• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Please check signal cable problem

Islelight

n00b
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Messages
61
I am building a computer and its all together and it says "please check signal cable" then off mode in 5 seconds. This was the "exact" problem with my last computer which was getting a little old so I decided to build a new one. I have a new motherboard, cpu, ram and video card. The only parts from the old computer with the duplicate problem are the disk and the true blue 480w power supply. Could it be one of theses two parts that are bad or what do you think the problem is. THANKS!
 
try a different monitor first, if that does not work try the video card, then beginworking backwards until you isolate the problem.

also, could there be a grounding issue in the case?
 
things to check -
make sure the vid card is properly seated and the power connect from the vid card to the psu is good too (without anything else on that line if possible)
check for motherboard grounding - double check all power connects and card/memory seating
double check vid card's heatsink make sure it is making proper contact.
double check monitor cable (wiggle it AFTER you make sure its firmly in place - to ensure it is not a short in the cable itself)
Check the monitor with a system that is KNOWN good - as a bad monitor can be the issue.
Strip system down to one hard drive one stick of memory the cpu and the vid card and boot then (elimination of all other minor possibilites.)
 
Yes, My monitor is working right now with the computer I had before the last one. Im useing it right this minute. Also, my last computer worked fine without this problem for about 3 years then it would do this once in a while then all of a sudden I couldnt use the computer because it was hard down with this problem. I cant see having the same exact problem with everything I replaced. Could it be the power supply being this was in my last computer.
 
I have an MSI Neo4 Platinum Ultra with an FX-55, an x850xt pe with 1Gig corsair pro, low latency ram. The power supply is an Antec true blue 480W, 80Gig WD special edition,audigy gamer with Cambridge 4.1 digital speakers and a Viewsonic p95f+ monitor.
The disk with all the software from my previous system and the power supply is from the computer that I had the same problem.
 
make sure you have installed the memory in the correct configuration for the densisty and type. I helped a friend troubleshoot the same problem you are having now where the physical configuration of the memory on the MB was to blame.
 
There are two Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO DDR400 in which the motherboard is dual channel, so you can put them in the 1st two slots, the last two, or all four slots. Their in the 1st two slots.
 
I hate to sound redundant (I just posted this advice in another thread too) but, NForce Mobo + ATI GPU = BIOS update for mobo.

Update your mobo BIOS and see if that fixes it. I ran into the exact same problem recently. You turn on the PC everything seems to boot up fine, but no video whatsoever. I could even here my HD loading up the OS.

DS
 
I just took the old video card out of the computer Im using now. Its an ATI pci, not pci-e video card and put it in the computer Im having trouble with and I get the same thing. "Please check signal cable". Any more suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!
 
erm, ok - do you have a friend with a nvidia card?
I assume the new vid card is pci-e - so no go to test on the older system.
have you tried a cmos clear?
NOTE: install only ONE piece of memory - (and test them if you can via old stable system to insure you do not have a memory issue - well you can test for bad memory - but not for compatibility... if possible use some of the memory from the old system and see if that fixes the issue...)
keep the one piece install until after Doze XP and all drivers have been loaded (this will save you a future headache as XP hangs on the dual channel during install in some cases.)
Does anyone remember how to do a blind bios flash?
Download your bios update onto a floppy and try it that way - see if it will bypass the issue long enough to try
OR (go thru a bios flash on your old system -if it has the same bios setup as the new - and write down the steps and run thru them when you have the floppy bios flash in the new system.- or have someoen who has the same board write down the steps for you so you can do it blind.)
 
HvyMtl said:
erm, ok - do you have a friend with a nvidia card?
I assume the new vid card is pci-x - so no go to test on the older system.

[thread nazi]I think you mean pci-e. [/thread nazi]



From what I have read you didn't try a different monitor. Try one!
 
omg i'm having the EXACT same problem with my dfi lanparty nf3

the thing is computer worked fine for about 1 week .. i had no OS installed.. just basic bios checks i did for about a week...

week later xp home comes from newegg.. try to install .. turn it on.. i get "PLEASE CHECK SIGNAL CABLE"... omg :mad:

idk what's wrong.. everything worked FINE a week ago.. now it's not posting when i'm trying to install the OSystem.

i RMA the videocard.. i doubt it's the cpu/case shortage/mobo...

it all worked a week ago
 
Im thinking towards the power supply right now. Like I said previously, the reason Im building this new computer is because mine was hard down with this problem and since It was getting somewhat old, I will just build another one, and the only two components from the old computer with the same problem was the PSU and the disk. Also, one thing I didnt mention was when I go to turn it on initially, it hesitates, then the fans finally turn on and then I get that message.
 
hesitation before fans run at boot? hmm. what is the power supply? brand/wattage? and what is its max amperage on the +12v line and max wattage on that line too (you prolly will only have the max amperage listed on the side of the psu...)
psu=power supply (power supply unit)
 
got your PM
as I mentioned if youll post the full config I'll workup the amp requirements for you
but based on that supply which is only rated at 28A on the +12V before being derated for temperature its a very likely suspect ;)

just the CPU\GPU alone draw near 18A under load
and knocking off 1\3rd the rated amps for temperature isnt uncommon bringing that down to 18.6
throw in that it might be going south per the last rig....

Id recommend you get a new supply for that config in any event
regardless if its the root cause of the current issue
 
I took my WD special edition from the computer I am having the "please check signal cable" message and put it in my old computer Im using now which is working fine and behold, Im getting the please check signal cable on that one now. Kind of makes sense since it was the link between the two computers. Im going to order the 74Gig WD raptor which I eventually wanted to get anyway.
What power supply would you recommend with this setup:
MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM ULTRA
FX-55 w/Thermaltake CL-P0006 pipe 101 & UFO fan
ATI x850xt pe
WD 74 Gig raptor
Audigy Gamer
Creative 4.1 Digital Speakers
Corsair 3200XLPRO 512MB DDR400 x2
Plextor DVD/CD Model PX-320A 20/10/40-12A
Currently Antec True Blue 480W / THANKS for all your help!
 
huh, that was a surprise.
ok, go to WD's site and see if they still have their free diagnostic software - put it on a floppy and boot from it (hopefully will allow you to do so -)
before installing the WD into the system - set the bios for floppy boot only then do the diagnostics see what the drive is doing. (hopefully this will bypass the issue on the drive...)
Welp, I am gonna write this down - as I havent run into this before - and I have been in computers since like 96...
Glad you found the problem.
 
Islelight said:
I am having the "please check signal cable" message

Its not that signal cable :p
even without a HDD the monitor would work to access the BIOS

(HvyMtl, hes talking about the IDE or SATA data cable)

Islelight I'll e back in 20 or so
and do the PSU
 
Ice Czar,
I was looking at and reading reviews for the Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE-SFMA ATX 2.0 600W Power Supply. Looks like it has all the bells and whistles I will need for my system now, and some time to come. Not a bad price for $155 at Monarch.
What do you think?
 
sorry my ISP dropped the ball and I was offline for awhile
still not 100% have horrible lag

that Enermax is a strong supply of basic spec compliance
scuttlebut is they have slipped a bit of late however
I can think of one competent review that might confirm that
but while there are quite a few supplies able to power that config
there arent all that many supplies with the dedicated dual SLi connectors
if you actually need both of them that is

I feel a stronger supply would be the OCZ Powerstream 600 watt in that class
it definately has a higher rating temperature
(thus more actual amps per rail and watts total)
has at least a 3% load regulation
but at $210 you might as well get a PCP&C PCI-E or SLi

the Powerstream 520 is likely an equivalent supply to the Enermax in amps
still has the tighter load regulation is $140 but lacks the 6 pin PCI-E connector
but then there are adapters, its technically an ATX12V v2.0 supply (as is the PCP&C 510)
but in a well regulated supply the dual rails that you get in an ATX12V v2.0 supply arent all that important

question becomes what are you going to be doing with it, and how long a lifecycle do you expect from it
IE do you actually need tighter than spec load regulation, do you want to use this supply for SLi and expect it to still be relevant into the next gen of PCI-E cards where the amps have been doubled per card.

for the current config it will likely power it with no problems and plenty of amps left over for extra drives fans lights ect.
 
Just put in my 74 Gig raptor and Enermex 600W Noisetaker series power supply and I am still getting "Please Check Signal Cable". Remember, this was the same problem with my last computer which is why I decided to build this one. "Everything is new" other than the floppy and the monitor. I am using that same monitor right now! Should I try another new motherboard. Any suggestions. THANKS!
 
OK lets start at the beginning
does the monitor work with a different computer?

when I build a computer I do it like this
in the cardboard box (or an antistatic benchtop)
attach the CPU heatsink fan power and the speaker
go for a beep (actually there will be alot without RAM or video card)
if successfull add the RAM, Videocard, Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard
and access the BIOS

if sucessfull breakdown and mount the mobo and repeat
then add drives and typically boot to the ultimate boot CD and run memtest86+
load up the OS and start to add additional cards and drivers, and secure the system
then attach to the internet

by doing it in that order you eliminate compounded variables
if you fail with just the CPU HSF and PSU its likely power or a thermal cutout
(like the fan attached to the wrong header or the heatsink incorrectly mounted)
alternately a dead mobo or PSU


with your issue you still have compounded variables you need to eliminate
one of the reasins so many of the [H]ard have multiple rigs us the ability it affords for crossparting at least some of the components for testing

Id for instance recommend testing your Videocard in another box
 
this has happened to me. there are two things i do to get it to work. First is i turn off my computer and let it sit and turn it on and it usually works.

(didnt read everypost)

Second is i reset the bios by taking out the little pin on the motherboard and moving it over and let it sit for a few seconds then move it back. Not sure what pin for your motherboard though.
 
Back
Top