Please assist! Require SPDIF speakers... cheap!

Soulstice

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Messages
1,104
Aiight...

...Please... ...somebody give me some options with respect to which speakers exist with optical-in that sell for a reasonable price.

I just recently assembled a Biostar 200P SFF, with an Athlon64 3000+, so I have already dropped a reasonable amount of cash on the system.

If possible, since the SFF system supports SPDIF optical-out, I would prefer to take advantage of it. As of now, I'm still running my original Creative 4.1 Surround-sound speakers from way back in the day (...purchased when I first put together my original Athlon T-Bird 800 MHz machine), using the standard analog outputs.

In terms of cost, I would like to keep the cost below $125 US. I'm not too concerned about power... ...sound quality, size, and look are just as important. If the sound-system comes in black, that's a bonus! ;)


Thanks for the help.
 
Unfortunately you won't be able to take advantage of the optical out for less than $300 unless you have a home-theatre receiver you can hook up to.

Your only real options are the Logitech Z680 with the built-in Dolby Digital decoder, the VideoLogic DigiTheatre, or the Yamaha TSS1. (I'm not sure if the Videologic or the Yamaha are made anymore.)
 
Don't sweat the digital output. Just use your old speakers hooked up to analog outputs. After you save up your $$, you can later get a decent outboard DAC and some quality 2.1 action, or perhaps an M-audio Ssonica Theatre.
 
Don't sweat the digital output. Just use your old speakers hooked up to analog outputs. After you save up your $$, you can later get a decent outboard DAC and some quality 2.1 action, or perhaps an M-audio Ssonica Theatre.

Nope... ...that won't be happening. Although I love the fact that my new SFF system is small, quiet, and space-efficient, one of the drawbacks is lack of PCI-bus expansion. The system comes pre-equipped with one PCI slot and one AGP slot. Unfortunately, the GeForce 5900 takes up two slots, so there is no room for an extra sound-card. Furthermore, even if room was available, reviews have given the on-board 6-channel RealTek 655 audio excellent reviews. True, it doesn't have the advanced options and features that some of the newer 7.1 channel audio cards boast, but it definitely gets the job done in terms of quality and performance.

In other words, I would really like an opportunity to take advantage of the SPDIF optical-digital sound port. Furthermore, if, in the future, I decide to purchase a system with the capability to utilize advanced sound cards, I will at least have the speakers already purchased and ready to go. ;)


Your only real options are the Logitech Z680 with the built-in Dolby Digital decoder, the VideoLogic DigiTheatre, or the Yamaha TSS1. (I'm not sure if the Videologic or the Yamaha are made anymore.)

I saw the Yamaha TSS1 system selling for under $200 CD a few weeks ago, but the ad has since been removed. It seems as if the company that was still selling them was simply trying to get rid of its remaining packages. Are there any other digital speaker systems that sell for a decent price?
 
Originally posted by Soulstice
Nope... ...that won't be happening. Although I love the fact that my new SFF system is small, quiet, and space-efficient, one of the drawbacks is lack of PCI-bus expansion.

Neither an outboard DAC or a Sonica Theatre would use a PCI slot. They would both be external. This is why I mentioned them.
 
Neither an outboard DAC or a Sonica Theatre would use a PCI slot. They would both be external. This is why I mentioned them.


Ooops! Sorry about that. I didn't even bother researching your suggestions before responding. I will take a look at them now. I'm assuming the Sonica Theatre is a USB or FireWire based solution?

I'm not really a fan of USB sound (...if in-fact, this is what the Sonica uses to interface the system).

...anyway, before continuing, I'll go take a look at the product.

Thanks.



PS. My question regarding speakers has still not been answered. Are there any other sub-$150 US 5.1 to 7.1 speaker systems that take optical-in? If so, could someone please point them out. Thanks.
 
Originally posted by GodsMadClown
Don't sweat the digital output. Just use your old speakers hooked up to analog outputs. After you save up your $$, you can later get a decent outboard DAC and some quality 2.1 action, or perhaps an M-audio Ssonica Theatre.
 
one question at this point.....


why do you want to use spdif out?!?

do you get bad feed back?

are you sending the audio image a long distance?

i only ask because you will see hardly any audio improvement above the normal speakers you have. it does'nt matter how good to audio source is if the speakers are crap then your system will sound crap. and if its because you want 7.1 there is no need, if any thing 6.1 or 5.1 for tyhat matter will be better, due to the fact that the idea of the rear speakers is to throw around some effects into the inviroment aswell as give the sound more depth.

therefor i would suggest you either
1. stick with your current setup.

2. save some money and get a nice setup for about $300 including a DTS reciver and some nice floorstanders. imo sub sat setups are over rated.

3. get a nice pair of head phones, but PLEASE stay away from the zalman surround headphones they are the biggest load of arse there is (imo) some nice sens or grados.

---stu---
 
Originally posted by GodsMadClown
Don't sweat the digital output. Just use your old speakers hooked up to analog outputs. After you save up your $$, you can later get a decent outboard DAC and some quality 2.1 action, or perhaps an M-audio Ssonica Theatre.
 
Back
Top