Playstation store is pure garbage

Nebell

2[H]4U
Honestly I don't know how they are getting away with such a terrible place to buy games.

It's confusing, but there are 3 things that annoy the shit out of me:

1) There are ratings but no reviews. I don't give a shit about ratings, I wan't to read what YOU have to say about the game.
2) Themes and may other apps have no videos! If I want to buy a dynamic theme, I'm forced to check it out on YouTube!
3) Game descriptions are vague. A lot of games don't have the "features" list. It's just a short explanation and we're supposed to like it?

Steam is MILES AHEAD of Playstation store.

/rant

It also has highly inflated prices, at least here they sell 20-30% above retail.

Honestly I don't know how they are getting away with such a terrible place to buy games.

1) There are ratings but no reviews. I don't give a shit about ratings, I wan't to read what YOU have to say about the game.
2) Themes and may other apps have no videos! If I want to buy a dynamic theme, I'm forced to check it out on YouTube!
3) Game descriptions are vague. A lot of games don't have the "features" list. It's just a short explanation and we're supposed to like it?

/rant
Totally agree! I think this is one of the reasons why they are more focused on their hardware side. Plus, the price inflation is another point to it!

The PSN store definitely has room for improvement. I agree with the points in OP, but I also pretty much know what I'm looking for before I go to check out or buy a game in the PSN store as well.

My biggest complaint, although not really related to the PSN store itself, is that I can never find any deals on PS Plus service. Unlike XBL where I can somewhat routinely find $35ish deals for prepaid 12 month cards, I haven't seen any such deals for PS Plus in the last year or so I've been looking. The biggest deal I've seen is from Sony themselves for $10 off ($50/year still), which for a service I have no intention of using to play online games with, I just don't care enough to pay that much for it. The only reason I really want it is for discounted and free games/content they offer with the service every month.

It also has highly inflated prices, at least here they sell 20-30% above retail.

That's true for most of the time, but they do routinely have sales in the PSN store that bring the digital copies down to or below the disc prices in retail stores. For instance I picked up God of War Remastered and Ratchet and Clank for $10 each last month and they're going for $20 now anywhere else. I also just bought The Witness yesterday for $20, which is the lowest its ever been on Steam or anywhere else from what I've seen. They also conveniently had Horizon: Zero Dawn on sale for $40 on PSN right when I got out of school in June and was planning on buying it anyways, coupled with the 20% off coupon that I got with my PS4 Pro so I got it for about $32 when it still goes for $60 in retail.

The last couple months have been pretty good for PS Plus users too, as they have been giving away some decent games for free with that service. But I still don't think they're close enough to Xbox Live's level of service and value yet. The most annoying thing is their refusal to support any sort of backwards compatibility like MS does on the Xbone.. Sony would rather make you pay more for a game streaming service to play all the old games you've already purchased and be at the mercy of your internet connection (latency) the whole time.

Yeah the prices are artificially high so that when they run sales (and they constantly are rotating the sales) it appears to be a much bigger discount.

I don't disagree with the OP's dislike of the PS store.... but actually it has improved a bunch since the PS3 days.

The "themes not having videos" does not bother me one bit, since they gave us the ability to use screenshots as backgrounds. The dynamic themes, even on the PS3, were a waste of money for me. On the PS3 I made my own actually.
The PS4 is getting there, I hope. Like I said, the custom backgrounds are a good start.

The pricing, I agree, is too high for some games. But the sales help, and I've snagged quite a few games for good prices, and as for game descriptions being vague, a lot of games have demos, or a trailer available.

Like all stores, it has it's pros & cons.

I am thinking about the poor SOB that wants to input a written game review with his DualShock 4.

I am thinking about the poor SOB that wants to input a written game review with his DualShock 4.

This.

PS Store needs some improvements to be sure but reviews are a stretch and you can find tons online already.

Themes I get, but I don't change from stock so I don't have a dog in the game there.

My biggest complaint is video previews where it never goes full screen.

As for sales, I am digital only. I only buy during flash sales or weekend sales. If you have PS+ you can get really good deals during Flash Sales.

The last game I got full retail was Horizon Zero Dawn and before that it was Uncharted & Ratchet and Clank. All first party titles.

I have an ass load of games PSN ID:nextjin420 so for me it's not really a factor. Being digital only is incredibly convenient especially with a 2TB SSHD with 500GB SSD for frequently played titles.

Steam Shovel ware took over Steam so it's not really any better see below post :censored::censored::censored::censored:
Writing steam games is about as same as trying to be a comic book artist for Marvel in the 80s.

Honestly, my biggest problem with the damn store is not being able to find the thing I want. The organization of it all is just outright confusing.

Secondly, I don't notice the "shovel ware" on either PSN or Steam because, I guess, my Steam is showing me games that I'm interested in. This is probably because of my massive collection and it just uses that data to curate what I see.

/rant

Steam, Origin, Uplay... they all kick the crap out of it across the boards for the most part.

The real giveaway here is the difference in download speeds. It's just not even close. How Sony hasn't opened their wallets to upgrade some of this by now is beyond me.

What also annoys me is that their video clips are downscaled to about or lower than 720p. They look terrible on my KS658000

Back