Playstation Plus

dadi38

Limp Gawd
So I decided to take the leap and sign up for playstation plus yesterday. One thing I noticed while signing up is sony will automatically put funds in your wallet and renew your subscription when the time comes. Not sure I like that. Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of signing up.

Setting the default to renew subscription seems like standard practice for most any online service I've used. Can't you just toggle it not to renew or cancel?

So I decided to take the leap and sign up for playstation plus yesterday. One thing I noticed while signing up is sony will automatically put funds in your wallet and renew your subscription when the time comes. Not sure I like that. Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of signing up.

And that is different from any other subscription service how?

I just picked up a PS3 yesterday and signed up for PSN+. I'm rather enjoying the discounted games and free games. And the price for plus isn't too bad at all.

I am sad that I missed getting Wipeout HD free which expired last Tuesday. But I purchased it anyways.

Go into account management and change settings. you can make it so it wont auto renew.

Like others have pointed out, most, if not all subscription services tend to enroll you in auto renew. There should definitely be an option to turn it off though.

some stats like California have made it against the law to auto renew subscription type things. Think they needto have an opt out to comply with the law in those states.

I got two ps1 games, Rally Cross and Syphon Filter,
2 mini's: kahoots (weird), and field runners (think defense grid with worse graphics.
Also I got a subscription to Qore (e-magazine) which gives you a bowling game.
The Hulu app that can be downloaded requires you to be a Hulu Plus subscriber (@ $9.99/month) to use the full application.
There are a few discounts (about 50% off) mainly related to DLC for sony titles (Mag, Fat Princess, ect.) and a few discounts for full games. All in all it seems like a good value if you buy alot of stuff off the playstation store or are replacing the cost of cable tv with a Hulu & Netfix subcriptions and using the PS3 as your primary media center.

wish this was cheaper. 50$ for something that has no affect on actual game playing. at least give us some party voice chat. then it might be a good value. but 50$ to get discounts and priority on demo downloading. Its a no go for me.

if you could buy the year elsewhere for a cheaper price, that might be something motivating as well.such as xboxlive off amazon for 35$

go to marketplace>click on my account drop down>membership level.
you should be able to turn off xbox auto renew there.
this is on a pc. Dont think you can do it from the xbox.

I think Sony failed big time at launching and promoting this service. I should fit the target market for this since I purchase a lot of content on PSN. However I cannot bring myself to spend $50 now to save money later on unknown promotions. Look like the current discounts primarily apply to older titles or things I already purchased. Feels like I would be dropping $50 to get a trickle of savings throughout the year, or maybe I would just stop buying new PSN titles and sit around waiting for a PSN+ sale.

I really think they needed a better hook to launch this, right now the service is little more than "Spend $50 to join our coupon club for a year!"

I went ahead and signed up for Playstation Plus just because of the free 3 months promo...and I'd say it's pretty weak right now. You can download 2 free PS1 games (ZZZzzzz), get some random DLC discounts, and that's pretty much it. The Hulu thing is pretty niche, so that doesn't mean all that much to me or most people either.

They really need something on there the sell it. I've had lots of people on my list asking me about it and I've told pretty much everyone that it's pointless for now.

I'd suggest a free game like Wipout or Street Fighter HD Remix or something instead of a PS1 game or a $5 DLC discounted by $2.

wipeout was free. is it no longer offered? i already owned it, so sucked for me

wipeout was free. is it no longer offered? i already owned it, so sucked for me

It was free and now its gone. It got replaced with Critter Crunch as the free game. I already owned Wipeout as well...

so how does this work? do you get to keep these free game forever? or only until the next free game comes around? (like a rental?)

so how does this work? do you get to keep these free game forever? or only until the next free game comes around? (like a rental?)

I believe that the free game is yours forever so long as you are a Playstation Plus suscriber. If your subscription runs out, you get locked out of the game. But I could be wrong on that.

oh, that blows. i didn't realize they replaced the free games.
Well, Critter Crunch is a ok game cause i needed something for the fiancee when i steal my xbox harddrive to bring to a friends house. she likes those puzzle games

and yup, free as long as your a subscriber. but i do believe you still keep the psone games and minis

and yup, free as long as your a subscriber. but i do believe you still keep the psone games and minis

Right, so any game you purchase you keep even if you aren't a subscriber anymore? It is just the free ones you get locked out of?

from joystiq. I really hate that they remove things like discounts
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/03/playstation-plus-updates-now-coming-every-other-week/#continued

"PlayStation Blog has announced that PlayStation Plus subscriber content will now be updated every other week (instead of weekly). With no Plus additions to this week's PSN update, subscribers can look forward to new content coming next Tuesday, August 10, including a timed trial of Red Faction: Guerrilla, the August episode of Qore, a discount on PixelJunk Racers: Second Lap and a free copy of the Minis title Aero Racer.

Of course, a few previous items will be pushed off the PlayStation Plus carousel in order to make room. Click past the jump to see the particulars of next week's update.

Content to be added to PlayStation Plus on August 10

Red Faction Guerrilla from THQ – 60-minute Game Trial
Qore August Episode with exclusive demo of TerRover from SOE
PixelJunk Racers Second Lap – Early Access and Limited Time Discount exclusive
Aero Racer [Minis] FREE

Content to be removed from PlayStation Plus on August 10

Games

* Fieldrunners [Minis] FREE
* Super Stardust (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, original price $9.99)
* Gravity Crash (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, original price $9.99)

Discounted Add-ons

* Super Stardust HD Team add-on Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.50, original price $4.99)
* Super Stardust HD Solo add-on Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.50, original price $4.99)
* Resistance 2 Aftermath Multiplayer Map Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.00, original price $3.99)

Themes (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers)

* King Zumo
* MAG S.V.E.R Dynamic Theme
* MAG Raven Dynamic Theme
* MAG Valor Dynamic Theme

Video

* Qore – July Episode"

heaven forbid an xbox Live user thinks they can change their Xbox Live account details through Xbox Live.

Seeing as how there are many kids on xbox live I'd say it's a great thing that it cannot be turned on and off on the console. But I do agree it should probably be set to off as a default. But it's really not that big of a deal imo.

Back