PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now come together for new subscription service (Project Spartacus)

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Revealed today, Sony is creating new subscription tiers for PlayStation Plus that folds in PlayStation Now, adding to subscription tiers. Essential is the old PS+ subscription level and will continue being offered at the same price. Current PS+ subscribers will continue in this tier. Extra adds over 400 downloadable PS4 and PS5 games to your subscription for an extra USD $40 annually ($100). The Premium tier adds cloud gaming including over 340 PS2, PS3, and PSP games. PS2 and PSP games will have a downloadable option, while PS3 games will remain streaming only. The Premium tier is an extra USD $20 annually over the extra tier ($120). Cloud gaming options will continue being available on PC with the expanded library. Current PlayStation Now subscribers will have their subscriptions continue in the Premium tier.

The new subscription service will begin rolling out in June of this year.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...june-with-700-games-and-more-value-than-ever/

You left out original PlayStation games as well on the Premium tier.

Figures when they finally make emulation available for PS1-3 titles, they lock it behind a subscription service. I already own the damn games on disc, just let me put them in my PlayStation and play them. I'll happily pay (once) for the emulator app on the console.

But this is better than nothing, I suppose. For whatever reason, I've gravitated to my PS4/PS5 more than any other platform the past few years, so I'll probably sub to the Premium tier. This is all providing the emulation is decent with no performance or input latency issues, like Nintendo has struggled with on its N64 emulation on Switch somehow. PS3 streaming only is a miss for me though, as my internet isn't the best for streaming games. I know the PS3 architecture is complex to emulate, but I'm sure the PS5 is powerful enough for it and Sony has the source code and resources to do it. Would be nice if they could at least let us know they're working on it if they are (remember seeing a patent published by them for PS3 emulation I think).

Bottom of the page under "Classics Catalog." They lumped all PS1-3 games in a single list.
Ahh, I see now.

So no:
Metal Gear
Tomb Raider
Gran Turismo
Parappa
Twisted Metal
Crash
Resident Evil 1-3
Half-Life (PS2 version was a decent upgrade over the original actually and had KB&M support)
FF7-9
GTA 3/VC/SA (figures with the recent botched remaster)

I see why they waited until launch to announce the full catalog. Pretty much none of the games I (and I venture most others) played and would like to replay from the original consoles are on it. They have a long way to go to get me to upgrade my sub at this point. I already own most of the PS4/5 games worth owning at this point too.

For now. Ultimately it is up to the publishers if they want old games released on the service. Konami, Square Enix, and Rockstar I don't see it happening.

Otherwise:

Gran Turismo (car licensing issues)
Crash (remasters of original trilogy available on current gen)
Resident Evil 1-3 (remakes all available on current gen)
FF7-9 (all are already available on current gen)

For now. Ultimately it is up to the publishers if they want old games released on the service. Konami, Square Enix, and Rockstar I don't see it happening.

Otherwise:

Gran Turismo (car licensing issues)
Crash (remasters of original trilogy available on current gen)
Resident Evil 1-3 (remakes all available on current gen)
FF7-9 (all are already available on current gen)
Yeah, tracking all that too. But don't really care why; it's still garbage. Remakes aren't an excuse either IMO.

Back