PlayStation Announces Its First Original Series

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Sony is wading into the unknown waters of original series production with its first console series called Powers. The initial production will consist of 10 one-hour shows.

There could also be some console rivalry at play with this as well, because Xbox is reportedly launching a Halo series later this year. Needless to say, we’re definitely curious to see what kind of original shows PlayStation and Xbox could come up with.

Um...I have a better idea.

Uncharted-2.jpg

I loved the comic, but I don't own a Playstation. Here's to hoping it becomes available in... um... other formats.

The article author may not know it, but the Sony Network is not just the province of the PS4. All Sony's recent-model Blu-Ray/DVD players (with Internet connectivity via an internal Ethernet port) get the Sony Network, too. And if your ISP is up to it, the Sony Network also offers the Netflix "SuperHD" version--I was much impressed by it! Still, a real Blu-Ray disk play is higher quality, though. But SuperHD Netflix is noticeably superior to the Netflix normal "best quality" streaming, plus it streams with 5.1 sound, too.

I'd guess that millions more will access the Sony Network via Sony's BR/DVD players than through the PS4, because the BR players are so much less expensive. If what you want is the Sony Network then the PS4 is absolutely the most expensive way to get there...;)

My advice: game and browse on your PC; enjoy Netflix streaming through the Sony Network via a stand-alone Sony BR player (I recently bought one of Sony's best BR players--on sale via Amazon for $80.) http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-blu-ray-player/

Streaming gaming? Fuggetaboudit. Not gonna' happen in any meaningful capacity. It's not only a terrible idea, but nationally we are a long way away from being able to stream AAA titles to individual players in real time--the infrastructure for it doesn't exist. Passively streaming one-way, non-interactive entertainment like movies, etc., requires exponentially less bandwidth--so *that's* doable...;)

Back