Playstation 5 Detail Rumor

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Charlie of SemiAccurate fame has dropped another bombshell by announcing that his industry sources are certain of some of the specs for the Playstation 5/Next and release timetable. These revelations are locked behind a substantial paywall, but luckily a user over on Resetera summarized the specs as best he could.

-Uses AMD's Navi as its base architecture, not specifically using Navi - CPU is Zen - Large amount of devkits have apparently gone out. - Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released - VR "goodies" baked in at the Silicon level. (Sony not giving up on PSVR any time soon is what I think) - Some more stuff in there, but I am not technically literate, and doesn't really discuss power of the system.

The interesting part is that the development kits are already out in the wild for the AAA developers that will create the launch titles for the system. Typically these development kits are nothing more than a powerful PC. Since the new console is allegedly based on AMD APU tech just as the current consoles are, then it should be pretty easy to develop games without having to worry about compatibility even if the final APU silicon is still in the development stage. Navi optimizations can be performed when that is finalized and the actual consoles are in the hands of the developers. We would expect PS5 to be in retail in 2019. Thanks @cagey

To kind of quote Rick James, "They should have never gave you people consoles!"

Anyway, hope they are cool and come with a built in Fleshlight. You know, for true VR.

This Dev kits will probably be just Ryzen and Vega.
They will be compatible with Ryzen+/2 and Navi anyway.

The only wonder is how powerful is it likely to be, if based on 7nm tech ? they could possibly fit 4096 shaders on there, so it would be equivalent to Top Vega basically....
I can't see them doing another console on 12nm, too close to 14nm, so no room for upgrades.

More likely Xmas 2019 than this year.

Sorry, but I don't trust anything coming out of SemiAccurate. Resetera is also made up of the worst elements from NeoGAF, who also happened to have a huge boner for Sony. So I'll believe it when I see it.

I do hope that they will finally go back to putting a powerful CPU in the consoles. It's what has been holding games back this current generation, in my opinion. An APU on 7nm tech would be freakin sweet.

I've said this before... but i miss the good old days when consoles would come out with custom exotic hardware. Devs wouldn't be able to truly leverage the power of the hardware until later in the cycle... graphics would improve over time. Oh well everyone gets a new smartphone every 2 years... why not a console?... meanwhile the games have improved little. VR is the only thing that i look forward to anymore.

I've said this before... but i miss the good old days when consoles would come out with custom exotic hardware. Devs wouldn't be able to truly leverage the power of the hardware until later in the cycle... graphics would improve over time. Oh well everyone gets a new smartphone every 2 years... why not a console?... meanwhile the games have improved little. VR is the only thing that i look forward to anymore.
3 years, technically :p. PS4 came out in November 2013, Pro came out in November 2016, PS5 rumored for 2019 (probably November).

3 years, technically :p. PS4 came out in November 2013, Pro came out in November 2016, PS5 rumored for 2019 (probably November).

Still... good old days... 10 year cycle! hell, 10 years from now there will be millions of consoles buried next to all those Atari E.T. cartridges ...lol

Sounds more like the next iteration of PS4 than PS5.

So, what would you consider a worthy upgrade? What do you think ALL consoles will look like going forward? They are going to be glorified, lower end PCs! (with highly optimized hardware and OS to maximize gaming performance)

The PS6 will be just like the PS5 with higher specs, and so forth. Well, at least until the PS9 where you inhale microbots that infect your brain....

120hz doesn't mean much when like 90% of console games struggle to pull 30fps. Consoles are almost entirely resolution-focused. It sounds more impressive and YouTube interpolates the ads.
60fps games are rare enough, there's basically no shot anyone's going for 120 any time soon.

120hz doesn't mean much when like 90% of console games struggle to pull 30fps. Consoles are almost entirely resolution-focused. It sounds more impressive and YouTube interpolates the ads.
60fps games are rare enough, there's basically no shot anyone's going for 120 any time soon.

Xbox one X has done pretty damn good.

Also with everything using PC hardware, they could release a new console and games would be backwards compatible at lower detail settings most likely.

I do miss the old days when new games were exciting and OMFG moments. Now there's really nothing exciting or isn't a been there done that type game.

You mean you don't look forward to incremental improvements that result in little more than a 5% increase over 5 years?

Remember when SEGA stuck with 2D and Nintendo went 3D!... that was an exciting time for console gamers...unless you bought a Saturn... lol. I guess the Saturn could do 3D... but was hard to program. Still miss those days.

You mean you don't look forward to incremental improvements that result in little more than a 5% increase over 5 years?
I think the Pro and X were anomalies that won't become the norm. The reason being is that the consoles were severely underpowered compared to consoles released in the past. Consoles often had parity with PC technology of the day, but this most recent generation was more on par with mobile devices. Plus, sales of these incremental consoles don't really make the argument that it is a good business decision going forward.

And really, the Pro is like 15% more powerful after 3 years :ROFLMAO:.
Remember when SEGA stuck with 2D and Nintendo went 3D!... that was an exciting time for console gamers...unless you bought a Saturn... lol. I guess the Saturn could do 3D... but was hard to program. Still miss those days.
Sony beat Nintendo to the market by a year ;). Console wars were more interesting back then. This multiplatform stuff is extremely boring (n).

KNIGHTS or whatever wasn’t in 3D?

Which will change with HDMI 2.1. At that point, EVERY new TV will support it, and unlike G-Sync and Freesync, it won't be tied to a particular manufacturer.

Ummm, the electronics have to handle it. This makes no sense. You can input 120hz now. Almost 0 TVs support it.

Yeah, all developers are going to do is increase visuals to match closer to what PCs can do. And given HDMI 2.1 is mainlining VRR, fixed refresh rates aren't going to be a major focus.

Sony beat Nintendo to the market by a year ;). Console wars were more interesting back then. This multiplatform stuff is extremely boring (n).

Exactly... i forgot that the PlayStation came out before the 64... that was kind of the golden age for consoles.. for me anyway. First time i played Ridge Racer on the PS... i was like ...holy shit this is awesome.

Sega got caught flat footed by the Playstation, which was more powerful then the Saturn was going to be, cheaper, and released first. Sega countered by adding a second physical CPU, but didn't really redesign the memory subsystem to handle it all that well. In theory it was fairly powerful, but it was hellish to program for. You knew things were bad when it's Sonic title was a port of 3D Blast.

That being said, I'm the guy who purchased a Turbograph-16. NEC totally bungled that; you'd think the guys who made the PCs that companies like Falcom, Square, Enix, Capcom, and Konomi started out on would have some decent software support. [As an aside, it's criminal the PC-88/PC-98 don't get more recognition then they do.]

Exactly... i forgot that the PlayStation came out before the 64... that was kind of the golden age for consoles.. for me anyway. First time i played Ridge Racer on the PS... i was like ...holy shit this is awesome.

The Playstation was going to be Nintendo's CD console. They partnered with Sony (who previously designed the SPU for the SNES), but backed out over disagreements on control and royalties. Since 99% of the work was done, Sony decided they may as well finish it to try and recoup their investment.

Meanwhile, Nintendo partnered with Intellivision. Funny how Nintendo undergoes selective amnesia about that partnership.

For me the early days of the Xbox 360 were probably the last time a console really impressed me. The jump from 480p to 720p/1080i was HUGE. Having full-time surround sound was, too. It was the same kind of jump we saw from the NES to the Genesis and SNES. It was probably the closest consoles have gotten to approximating what current PC's were capable of. I doubt we'll ever see anything like that again. It'll take some kind of proprietary tech to impress like that again.

Nintendo Switch seems like the best of the bunch of last generation despite lack of games it still towers as far as originality.

EGM-Issue-2-Cover.jpg

gallery_4418_8_113190-680x903.jpg

For me the early days of the Xbox 360 were probably the last time a console really impressed me. The jump from 480p to 720p/1080i was HUGE. Having full-time surround sound was, too. It was the same kind of jump we saw from the NES to the Genesis and SNES. It was probably the closest consoles have gotten to approximating what current PC's were capable of. I doubt we'll ever see anything like that again. It'll take some kind of proprietary tech to impress like that again.

The best time I had was with my PS3 and maybe my SNES before that and that was after owning a Game Cube, Wii, N64, Dreamcast PS1 PS2 and PS4 and X-BOX.
Games like Borderlands 1 and Dante's Inferno made the system good along with Fallout 3 New Vegas.
Nintendo Genesis and Atari were just in a different league then new age 3-D pushing consoles.

I always thought the biggest leap was the Dreamcast, (other than the very early stuff of course)

Agreed. Look at the jump from GTA:SA to GTAIV.

The real problem is graphically there isn't much more that you can add until we get GPUs that can handle real-time ray tracing. Why do you think there's been such a focus on new AA modes, Variable Rate Refresh, 4k, HDR, and new graphical APIs? Because it's the hide the fact that there really isn't too much more that can be done that we haven't been able to do.

.0001% of the TV's in the world can accept a 120hz input. So yea, that would make great business sense.
Not to mention that the CPU has absolutely nothing to do with GPU refresh rate. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Eh people tend to forget that first iteration devkits are only barely hinting at desired computational power envelope, so that the big AAA developers can tinker around with and write their feedback.

First iteration of last generation even used an i7 heavily downclocked, and Sony used 4GB ram total which irked quite a few developers, luckily ram prices went down just in time for the actual production of the ps4, otherwise both consoles would have been unbalanced AF.

Very interesting - I really hope they push the hardware. It'll be interesting since even the chip on the PS4 is old by today's standards - moving to a current gen chip (highend?) on a console would be quite amazing. Though, even if the PS5 comes out Christmas 2019... it'll probably be 2022-23 by the time I'd buy it lol... :p

And the Saturn was amazing when games actually made it to the system (had ours modded by Sega to play imported games that helped quite a bit) - had the PS1 too, and when there were games on both systems? Saturn was much better on some, and meh on others. KoF '95 with ram cartridge? Arcade Perfect. Other games were quite amazing and fun to play... just too bad there were so few. Once SquareSoft went to Sony I think that was the beginning of the end for me heh.

Anyways. I miss cartridges on a modern console.

To kind of quote Rick James, "They should have never gave you people consoles!"

Anyway, hope they are cool and come with a built in Fleshlight. You know, for true VR.

Sony fucks their customers. Never the other way around.

Support for FreeSync. Then maybe more TVs will carry it.

I don't understand why consoles don't also have a mini DP port on them. It doesn't take up much space and you don't have to pay licencing fees for it like you do with HDMI.

Back