PlayStation 4 Slim Model Leaked

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Hot on the heels of the Xbox One S comes the new, skinnier PS4. The Square/X/Triangle/O feet are a nice touch. While the article suggests this could be the Neo, I really doubt that.

The seller provided to Polygon these unboxed images of the new PS4. The unit appears thinner and its edges are rounded, unlike the squared-off corners of the original design. The box says the console has a 500 GB hard drive. In June, Sony announced a new configuration of the PlayStation 4, codenamed Neo, was coming later this year but did not suggest what its design might look like. It's unknown if this is the Neo or an updated look for the old model. In June, Sony said that a new PS4 would arrive in spring 2017. A media event unveiling the new Neo model is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET on Sept. 7 in Times Square.

Doubt it's the upgraded. It's likely the slim/refined version of the old one. A side grade to allow for cheaper manufacturing and lower power usage.

I have to be honest, your title was a little misleading. I was expecting to see something like this. That article doesn't talk about a single model.

CkioJZ6.jpg

Looks pretty cool. Just a smaller, more rounded version of the launch version.

Doubt it's the upgraded. It's likely the slim/refined version of the old one. A side grade to allow for cheaper manufacturing and lower power usage.
Exactly, we've had this for decades now since at least the NES(the black atari 2600 wedge supposedly had a smaller and cheaper board inside, but the system size itself was roughly the same as I recall). Even speculating this has anything to do with upgraded hardware capability is just silly.

Is it weird for someone to have never bought an xbox or playstation?

Is it weird for someone to have never bought an xbox or playstation?

If you are over 35, not at all. If you are between 16 and 30, it would be out of the ordinary. If you are under 16, that would be your parents responsibility. If you have a mullet, it might be a perplexing object of magic and sorcery. If you are [H], it's because you haven't found a console yet that your PC couldn't already emulate, thus no need to buy one.

If you are over 35, not at all. If you are between 16 and 30, it would be out of the ordinary. If you are under 16, that would be your parents responsibility. If you have a mullet, it might be a perplexing object of magic and sorcery. If you are [H], it's because you haven't found a console yet that your PC couldn't already emulate, thus no need to buy one.

Okay good, I am over 50.

No PC can 100% emulate a current generation console. There are games you simply cannot play on PC period.

Back on topic - So they made it uglier...Again. It's like they put all this effort into making the original a good looking piece of equipment, then decide to make it look like a cheap toy on the refresh. Did this crap with the PS3 and now the PS4. So far the Ps2 slim is the only slim version that actually looked better than the original.

How you can belittle the PC like that. Not with that attitude pal. The PC knows no boundaries or limitations.

It isn't belittling, it is a simple fact. I am a PC gamer first, but that doesn't blind me to the fact that there are certain games that if I want to play them I have to own a console.

Looks like it's made out of the same material as a sex device. You know, that odd rubber that's used for grips.

I'm just curious if the HDD will be as easy to replace as it is in the old one.

Not really finding the motivation to replace my existing PS4, the original unit was already small to begin with, so it's not as drastic a change as the Xbone to Xbone S. If anything, I'd just want to replace the glossy section of my PS4 with an all matte section.

Unless there's considerable reworkings under the hood, I'm satisfied with my vanilla PS4.

How you can belittle the PC like that. Not with that attitude pal. The PC knows no boundaries or limitations.
Actually, x86 hardware does have limitations, no matter how high-end; in fact, any equipment has limitations.
Emulation is a different animal, and relies more on coding and programming efficiency for the system/ISA conversion, rather than raw computational capabilities on the hardware side.

This is why certain XBox360 and PS3 games cannot be emulated, despite running on hardware that is laughable by today's standards.
Even though the current consoles do run with the x86 ISA, there is a lot more to be emulated than just the CPU, and all of that extra work needing to be done just hasn't been achieved yet on the software side of things.

Back