Playstation 3 Setup

Ok, so I purchased the MGS 4 bundle from wally world last night, along with Uncharted and GTA 4. ($50 in tax is >_<) The problem though is that I do not have a TV. I tried out my monitor a couple of days before with a hdmi -> dvi converter and an xbox 360 and it worked fine, but the Playstation does not.

The monitor I am attempting to use is a 2007fp. It is somewhat old and has issues with the composite input (HUGE static, screwed up image) so I can navigate around the menus if I squint hard enough. The problem comes with the hdmi to dvi adapter though, as the monitor receives signal by coming out of standby but does not actually display it. My gut thought here is that my monitor does not support 480i even over dvi, and the playstation settings menu is awful enough that you have to switch to displaying from the right output before you can select resolution, so I am left with a black screen when I switch to hdmi. I tried to look at the way it is handled with component video, and if the steps were identical, memorize a path through to set it to 720p, but it hasn't worked out.

So right now I'm out of luck and wish I could get it working.
If someone could post the step by step buttons to press to set up for 720p from the moment you hit enable to the final signal display, I would greatly appreciate it.
(x, left, x, etc...)

If this does not work out, I will either have to purchase another expensive monitor or one of those blackmagic intensity cards. Anyone have any experience with gaming on a blackmagic card? Is there lag/etc?

Thanks

If you have to get a new monitor look into a 1080p lcd tv as your monitor, I use a 42" for my monitor, best upgrade I ever made.

I already have a 3007wfp-hc, so unfortunately, I am really not looking into purchasing monitors above and beyond what I already have.

Did you try holding the power button for 10 seconds. It resets your settings and tries to use the optimal settings available.

Can you take it so someone else's house and set the video settings there? Even pushing it to 720p would make it usable on your monitor.

Did you try holding the power button for 10 seconds. It resets your settings and tries to use the optimal settings available.

Can you take it so someone else's house and set the video settings there? Even pushing it to 720p would make it usable on your monitor.

Yeah, it asks something along the line of "hdmi detected, should I use it?" but it doesn't adjust resolution at the same time, just changes input as far as I can tell. (REALLY fuzzy screen again so hard to tell haha)

I am some 1500 miles from home on an internship and am not really good enough friends with the people I know with hdtvs unfortunately. My last ditch attempt would be to purchase (see: rent) a 19" 720p tv from frys or best buy, but I'd like to avoid the hassle.

max res for your monitor is 1600x1200 right?

Maybe it has a hard time because its not a widescreen?

HDMI to DVI cable worked great on a 226bw to my ps3

Does your monitor support hdcp? I think in order to use your monitor with the ps3 via hdmi-dvi it has to support hdcp.

I just bought a PS3 this week and am using it with a Lenovo L220x via hdmi-dvi cable and it works great.

I think in order to use your monitor with the ps3 via hdmi-dvi it has to support hdcp.

This is true. I'm pretty sure the PS3 won't give you any signal at all if your display device doesn't support HDCP. Not sure what you can do about that, besides either using component input or buying a new display.

As far as I know, the Foldstation 3 does not require HDCP compliance. People have theirs working on plenty of monitors and the aforementioned blackmagic intensity all without hdcp. Maybe a firmware update changed this without my knowledge though.

As far as I know, the Foldstation 3 does not require HDCP compliance. People have theirs working on plenty of monitors and the aforementioned blackmagic intensity all without hdcp. Maybe a firmware update changed this without my knowledge though.

From what I understand, it WOULD require HDCP because of it displaying encoded HD content (Blue-Ray).

From what I understand, it WOULD require HDCP because of it displaying encoded HD content (Blue-Ray).

HDCP only comes into play when movie content is flagged for protection. Even in that situation as with using component video, it simply downscales the content to 720p or 480p. Not really a big deal for me right now as I won't be using it for movies.

Well, you're wrong. It does indeed require HDCP if you're using HDMI, always, no matter what, and that's been true since day one. As for the Blackmagic card, those people are using the component connection, not the HDMI. Every time someone here has claimed they got their PS3 working on an HDCP-less HDMI/DVI monitor, it's turned out that it really did have HDCP.

Also, BR-Ds over component get output at 1080i. In fact, I don't think Sony supports outputting them at 720p at all - if you claim your monitor doesn't support 1080i or 1080p (only 480p and 720p), it'll knock the BR-D playback resolution down to 480p.

Well, you're wrong. It does indeed require HDCP if you're using HDMI, always, no matter what, and that's been true since day one. As for the Blackmagic card, those people are using the component connection, not the HDMI. Every time someone here has claimed they got their PS3 working on an HDCP-less HDMI/DVI monitor, it's turned out that it really did have HDCP.

Well crap. (It's hard to search with the filtering software here at work sorry)
So it's really the $350 blackmagic needed here...

Also, BR-Ds over component get output at 1080i. In fact, I don't think Sony supports outputting them at 720p at all - if you claim your monitor doesn't support 1080i or 1080p (only 480p and 720p), it'll knock the BR-D playback resolution down to 480p.

I believe I read something about a firmware update that fixed that, but I am not 100% sure.
This is what you were talking about right?

Choice now of some terrible cheap 720p tv, or some relatively inexpensive 24" monitor I guess. Any suggestions on the monitor side? (Remember, I don't need a good gaming monitor or anything, just as long as it plays hd content on just fine)

You could always take it to your local Best Buy or Circuit City and tell them that you wanted to test it out on a few TV's in order to decide which one to buy. I did this before and they have no problem. All they do is stick a little pink sticker on there showing the PS3 is yours. Give that a shot.

Also, have you tried a HDMI to DVI cable?

I was thinking about going with a benq G2400W for ~$400 shipped. I am living too much of a transitory existence right now to even think about purchasing a large TV so if I went the TV route I would probably do the PoS dynex $250 720p model from BB.

I believe I read something about a firmware update that fixed that, but I am not 100% sure.
This is what you were talking about right?

I had not realized they fixed that. Very nice. :)

Choice now of some terrible cheap 720p tv, or some relatively inexpensive 24" monitor I guess. Any suggestions on the monitor side? (Remember, I don't need a good gaming monitor or anything, just as long as it plays hd content on just fine)
There are some relatively cheap (< $250) LCDs over at Newegg which have DVI-HDCP, and even HDMI-HDCP. I would opt for the latter if possible, as there have been some complaints that some devices don't like HDMI-to-DVI cables, electrically the same or not.

Yeah, I just ordered a G2400W from newegg. Hopefully it will get here quick.

Also what the hell am I going to do with 4 monitors?

Back