Playstation 3 ports

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/DownloadOther

The link at the top, is that what I need to run it on the Playstation 3? I am going to run seti at home. :)

SETI? just so u know the radio waves (the ones that SETI analyzes) degrade after just 2 light years, so even if someone near Alpha Centauri (nearest star, 4.3 Light years away) send us a message, the only thing that we would get is static. Disappointing, yes indeed :(

There is intelligent life out there, oh i´m very sure of that.;)
If u really want to donate your spare cpu cycles and really want to make a noticeable difference, then Folding@Home is the way to go :)

Cure cancer, don't look for green men :p

Edit:
They will find us first anyways ;)

Forum,

I would like to remind you that this sub forum is the Distributed Computing. If he wants to look for green men, let him and yes this may go against majority of the sub-forum'ers around here but it's within the description.

Now, what the fuck are you doing looking for green men? God, cure some fucking cancer and yes I am having a shitty day at work but hey FOLD!

Just a friendly reminder, there is no rule requiring you to post in very thread. If SETI or other BOINC related projects aren't your cup of tea, you can just quietly move along. I'm sure the OP is well aware of the merits of F@H vs SETI.

Just a friendly reminder, there is no rule requiring you to post in very thread. If SETI or other BOINC related projects aren't your cup of tea, you can just quietly move along. I'm sure the OP is well aware of the merits of F@H vs SETI.

Aye!

Now, what the fuck are you doing looking for green men? God, cure some fucking cancer and yes I am having a shitty day at work but hey FOLD!
because i want hyperdrives, shields, and energy weapons! :D ;) :p lol :)

:cool:

if i can't figure out how to run seti on the ps3 or it runs poorly i will run the f@h app that is on the ps3 by default. how many points per day can i expect running that app compared to the gpu client, or a quadcore?

The PS3 client is benchmarked at 900 PpD.
A good quad core setup can do +4,000 PpD with the right config.
A good vid card setup can easy do +5,000 PpD on top of the quad cores PpD.
A [H]ard vid card setup is worth well over 20,000 Ppd.

Luck ............. :D

SETI? just so u know the radio waves (the ones that SETI analyzes) degrade after just 2 light years, so even if someone near Alpha Centauri (nearest star, 4.3 Light years away) send us a message, the only thing that we would get is static.
/snip and snappin' away...

leSLIe lady, you are one smart "cookie" :eek:. I had no ideer' about the "radio waves degrading after only 2x light years" so that means when you look at good ole' Alpha Centuri (ahh.. the one not in Hollywood), earths nearest star, being 4.3 light years away all you're doin' is spinnin' you're wheels by listening for one of their radio stations (err.. messages or something from a alternate/superior life form) :rolleyes:

Please, SETI people don't get your "shorts in a twist". I've always been of the opinion "different strokes for different folks". Personally I hold the opinion that if the alternate/intelligent life forms out there (and I'm sure there are alternate/intelligent life forms out there) wanted to make contact with earth they wouldn't need any of our help to do it. In all seriousness just looking at some of our political leaders convinces me of an alternate life force, just lackin' sometimes in the intelligence part ;)

For those with "twisted shorts" please get them "untwisted". I apologize if my personal opinions upset anyone. Looking for little green men with computer cycles is just not my forte. Two of the things that really have a "stroking" type effect on me are computers and finding a cure for some freaked up diseases (that and a few other things best not posted on family type forums). That's why IMO the Stanford F@H project is well worth any time, $, etc you might have to sacrifice in order to fold. :p

PLEASE FOLD ON!

http://science.slashdot.org/science/08/07/05/1421219.shtml
Arecibo Observatory Facing Massive Budget Cuts
"Many supporters of the SETI@home project have recently received a message informing
them of impending budget cuts for the Arecibo Observatory and asks them to show
their support for the project by writing to Congress. The letter also informs
supporters that there are currently two bills (Senate bill 2862 sponsored
by Senator Hillary Clinton, and a similar House bill, H.R. 3737), which are intended
to secure funding for the project. According to The Planetary Society, the current plan
for the Arecibo Observatory involves cutting funding by more than 60% from $10.4 million
to just $4 million by 2011."

http://science.slashdot.org/science/08/07/05/1421219.shtml
Arecibo Observatory Facing Massive Budget Cuts
"Many supporters of the SETI@home project have recently received a message informing
them of impending budget cuts for the Arecibo Observatory and asks them to show
their support for the project by writing to Congress. The letter also informs
supporters that there are currently two bills (Senate bill 2862 sponsored
by Senator Hillary Clinton, and a similar House bill, H.R. 3737), which are intended
to secure funding for the project. According to The Planetary Society, the current plan
for the Arecibo Observatory involves cutting funding by more than 60% from $10.4 million
to just $4 million by 2011."

that budget cut was bound to happen sooner or later, why? because nowadays to keep a millionaire project running you need results, yep it´s pragmatic, and well that´s how the "system" works

Installing Linux on the PS3 is not very difficult. I did it! :)
I have to confess that after installing it, I haven't used it
more than once or twice, however, since my PS3 is
folding 24/7. That is until I bought Rock Band. I haven't so
much fun in years. I do feel a bit guilty for stealing cycles
from folding... but the big rock ending helps. :D

If you want Linux on your PS3, here is the link that I used
http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/1305/installing_linux_onto_your_sony_ps3/

Fold on!

Well, not to degrade the thread, but...
WTF is the government doing paying for that? That is what is wrong with it. Given the recent celebration, maybe one of the numskulls up there should read the documents that our gov is based on. If a private institution wants to go looking for ET, good for them. But why do I have to fund it? That and a million other things like how fast catchup goes, etc Sorry, that really frosts me. I'll shut up now:rolleyes:

Well, not to degrade the thread, but...
WTF is the government doing paying for that? That is what is wrong with it. Given the recent celebration, maybe one of the numskulls up there should read the documents that our gov is based on. If a private institution wants to go looking for ET, good for them. But why do I have to fund it? That and a million other things like how fast catchup goes, etc Sorry, that really frosts me. I'll shut up now:rolleyes:

the thing started in the 60s, and well both the Soviets and the US were interested, so years later NASA founded the SETI, and that´s were it all began, just another cold war competition, sponsored by tax payer´s money ;)

Nowadays in the US there is a budget-cutting trend for a lot of important science programs, like the one regarding Fermilab. :(

Back