PlayOn Lifetime License $19.99 through May 19

forkedt

Limp Gawd
From PlayOn's site:

Until May 19th at midnight, you can buy a lifetime license for PlayOn Basic for just $19.99 (regularly $39.99). PlayOn Basic will be supported for the life of the product and will not require a subscription.* Don’t miss this incredible offer on one of Money Magazine's 100 Best Moves You Can Make With Your Money, winner of Popular Science Best of What's New 2009. Also featured by G4 channel's X-Play, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times.

* Starting on May 20th PlayOn Basic will no longer be for sale. Instead, we will beoffering PlayOn Premium at $39.99 for the first year and $19.99/year thereafter . As a PlayOn Basic customer you have the OPTION to upgrade to PlayOn Premium for only $4.99 for the first year. PlayOn Premium will provide you with a steady stream of new content channels such as Comedy Central, PBS, TV.com, NHL, and more. Whether you upgrade or not you will keep Hulu, Netflix, ESPN, and all of the other channels not marked as beta or premium preview in PlayOn Basic.

I had been on the fence but now that its going to be a monthly fee... $20 for lifetime basic sounds pretty good to me.

Playon is the best media server out there IMO. HULU, netflix, youtube all integrated natively. Their playback of local video files is leaves much to be desired but that portion is still in beta. With a lifetime license you'll get the full thing when its available.

Heh. I don't even have a game console or media extender yet, but I may just bite on this anyway.

Your license will be valid forever for all patches and bug fixes for the current major version of PlayOn. All functionality and feature enhancements to PlayOn will be free for existing licensed installations, until a new major version is released, at which point a new license may be required to continue access to the content marked (beta) or (preview). PlayOn software enables browsing of content provider websites that may not have a direct affiliation with MediaMall Technologies. Although we work tirelessly to ensure continued PlayOn compatibility with all current and future supported services, MediaMall cannot guarantee such support in any way.

is this a catch?

well I have a roku box and a tivx but I don't think playon supports either one.

Does anyone know if the syfy channel post much, where I can find a list of online stuff they show?
All I can find is their list of whats playing now on tv.

Hmm theres no listing for anything other than the basic subscription. So what happens when they move all of the basic programs over to some premium version and you're left with a subscription thats worthless?

yea they have already posted on avs and some other sites that Hulu is going pay.

so As a PlayOn Basic customer you have the OPTION to upgrade to PlayOn Premium for only $4.99 for the first year. PlayOn Premium will provide you with a steady stream of new content channels such as Comedy Central, PBS, TV.com, NHL, and more. Whether you upgrade or not you will keep Hulu, Netflix, ESPN, and all of the other channels not marked as beta or premium preview in PlayOn Basic.

we pay 20 +5 to upgrade we are getting the (PlayOn Premium at $39.99 for the first year and $19.99/year thereafter) for about $25 for the first year

beta or premium preview in PlayOn Basic.
I could not find out much about what is considered premium or what you get on the channels that are going to be premium

sorry I posted some stuff about tv that wasn't about playon. I cut it out...again sorry about taking your bandwidth

Last edited:
When you download the free trial the words Premium Preview will be in parenthesis next to the channels that will be in premium only as of July.

From what I've read if you get the lifetime subscription now - you can upgrade to premium for $5 and your bill will be only $20 a year after that. As for content, I think you basically have access to everything currently available except for Comedy Central and one other channel (forget it off the top of my head) because those are "betas" and they will become part of the Premium content when they switch to the pay-per-month style.

There is a plugin that allows this to work with Media Center. Can be quirky but is pretty good if no console. Then again Netflix is already built into WMC.

It's beyond my comprehension that a device which streams from the PC onto consoles can't also stream from the PC onto...a fucking PC. Can you not use this on a PC, period?

It's beyond my comprehension that a device which streams from the PC onto consoles can't also stream from the PC onto...a fucking PC. Can you not use this on a PC, period?

Yeah, I didn't even know what it was, but it took only a moment on their website to apparently realize this...

I thought I had to be wrong, though... Apparently I wasn't, and I'm glad I'm not the only one this doesn't make much sense to...

This looks like something I might want despite the fact that I own no consoles or supported devices...yet.

I'm a bit confused as to what kind of content I'll have access to, but I suppose I won't know the extent until I run a trial. The various plugins already look pretty cool.

I'll do a bit more reading... and... ditto on the PC-support. I guess I still don't understand how this works.

i read all the posts and still dont understand it really, so your going to pay for this and then pay for netflix? why ? why not just pay for cable tv?

I found out this little part about hulu

Hulu Launching $9.95 Subscription Plan as Soon as Next Month, Sources Say

In two short years, Hulu has grown into the second most visited video streaming site on the Web, become an integral part of people's entertainment consumption and managed to turn a sizable profit. But the $100 million in advertising revenue collected by the joint effort of News Corp., NBC Universal and Walt Disney pales in comparison to the income they are used to seeing from their broadcast and DVD businesses.

Those same sources also claimed that Hulu will be gradually increasing its level of advertising until online episodes carry the same number of commercials as they would in broadcast -- a move that concerns us much more than a subscription fee.

so with this product you get to pay hulu $9.95 a month and as much advertising as regular ota free tv. Then the price of the playon service.
it would be cheaper to get sat or cable...FUCH THIS INDUSTRY IS RAPING PEOPLE LEFT AND RIGHT

The Hulu subscription is to watch older episodes. You don't have to pay to watch the five latest episodes.

So you can't actually watch anything from PlayOn on your PC? Thats pretty goddamn stupid, indeed! I would have subscribed in a heartbeat, but since I have no TV, nor do I ever plan to, screw 'em!

I am not sure why you would want to use anything other than a web browser to watch things on your PC.

The sole purpose of Playon is to take programming that only works in a PC web browser and make it work on a networked device that would otherwise not have access to that programming. It is a media server not a media player. When it first came out, neither Xbox nor PS3 played Netflix, this allowed them to. Thus getting the many people who owned those consoles and not a HTPC access to Netflix in their living room.

Fast forward a few years and Hulu doesn't play on the PS3 browser, nor does comedy central programming and really anything online that requires an up to date flash plugin, but Playon does allow that.

The reason I'd want to use it on the PC is to get access to the channels that I'd be paying for through the subscription. Without that, I'd be paying individual subscriptions to Hulu and all those other channels, assuming they even exist independent of Playon.

If this was for PC I would probably of subscribed, but since it's not.. might as well be worthless.

The Playon license is only a software purchase really. You then pay subscriptions to the other services if you deem fit. This does not come with Netflix, MLB.tv, NHL, Hulu (future) annual subscriptions. Once you purchase your Playon license you can type in your credentials for those services you have purchased.

CryingGod this is for the pc. To me that is the problem with hulu. I am not sure why but they only want their views on pc. This product allows you to stream from your pc to other devices.

if the DLNA on my LG BD550 worked like LG's knoledgebase said it would then I would be all over this. I Desperately want to drop cable all together & I Wouldn't even mind paying for HULU.

Back