Playing the waiting game

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
Some people say that if you play the waiting game you'll end up buying nothing. I tend to agree somewhat but it seems that this is the best time to wait.

The GTX280 has just been released, that in itself doesn't really change the picture much unless you play at 2560x1600.

But now that the HD4850 is coming out, it seems it will be worth the wait, but not only that, even if you don't want one, it seems it will drive down the prices for nearly all the 8000 family and the 9600GT and 9800GTX. Rumors says that by the time the HD4850 is out the 9800GTX will be around $199.00, the prices of the rest of the nvidia family can only be lower.

Plus the HD4870 in not out yet and it has already made the GTX260 drop in price, both should be available the first week of July.

Both this cards will make you want to wait at least until mid July to make your final choice. IMO you really can't go wrong with any, but since prices are likely to drop fast you might as well wait.

If you want to wait a little longer, the 4870X2 should be out late September/early October and the GTX280 on 55nm a little bit later.

As for myself. I think I'll wait till Christmas.

I'm playing the waiting game.

My new rig is ready to go, waiting on a bolt through kit for my S1283 and whichever video card I choose. I need to see the performance figures for the 4870 though, I might just go with a 4850.

Pretty painful to have a new rig ready to go pretty much, just waiting on a couple more parts.

Some people say that if you play the waiting game you'll end up buying nothing. I tend to agree somewhat but it seems that this is the best time to wait.

If you want to wait a little longer, the 4870X2 should be out late September/early October and the GTX280 on 55nm a little bit later.

As for myself. I think I'll wait till Christmas.

4870X2 is expected to be released in August

I'm playing the waiting game for my own financial good. Theres no reason for me to buy a GTX2XX when my 8800gts 320mb plays everything I want maxed out on my 19" wide.

I will consider an upgrade when the 4870 comes out, but I doubt I will buy one. Theres nothing coming out.

It's probably better to wait for the 4800 series and see some concrete results of its performance compared to the GTX 200 series. Preliminary testing here and at other review sites seem to point that the 4800 series are definitely worth waiting for. ;)

The GTX 260 looks great because it OCs so nicely. If I can get aftermarket cooling on it it will be amazing. HardOCP OCed the BFG GTX 260 with stock cooling and got +20% FPS in Age of Conan.

I'm also playing the waiting game too... I'm looking to build a moderately powerful machine arnd Q4 time frame. I'm looking to spend about $250 max on a graphics card as I think that's arnd the sweet spot in terms of price/performance. I also prefer a single card solution for heat/noise/power efficiency reasons. All this *speculation* about products that have yet to be released, imo, is much ado about nothing. It is way too premature to proclaim victory. I'm not overly impressed with the 4850 as it seems to be on par with the 9800GTX -- which will be priced at the same point. Maybe 3 months from now the price points will move, but imo i think it will be very difficult for ATI to match Nvidia's pricing, as their 4850 is a new chip vs. the N92 which has had plenty of times to mature. The 55nm 9800GTX+ seems interesting thou, cooler, quieter, more efficient card is always appreciated.

Only time will tell :)

cheers,

yass

Like others have said there is no reason to upgrade right now, game wise, unless you are a big Crysis fan. Of course, we will pretty much all play through the game again when we can play it with everything on Very High 4xaa 16xaf, but that won't be for awhile. Like someone else said the 4870X2 and the 55nm refresh cards will be out in the fall, which is when the next good game comes out (Stalker Clear Sky).

I've been playing the waiting game for a while. I should be deciding between the HD 4850 or the 9800GTX since they are now at the same price range. But like an ass, I'm going to wait to see if there are more price drops.

I'm waiting.

The 4850 pushed the 9800GTX prices down to $199 retail, I'm hoping the 4870 pushes down either the 9800GX2 or the 260/280 prices, at that point I can get a cheaper Nvidia card :)

Like others have said there is no reason to upgrade right now, game wise, unless you are a big Crysis fan. Of course, we will pretty much all play through the game again when we can play it with everything on Very High 4xaa 16xaf, but that won't be for awhile. Like someone else said the 4870X2 and the 55nm refresh cards will be out in the fall, which is when the next good game comes out (Stalker Clear Sky).

That's not true. There are dudes like me who have a huge reason to upgrade. There are mad good games out (Crysis, CoD4, Mass Effect, Supreme Commander games, Gears of War, Assasin's Creed, HL2: Episode 2, DIRT, etc.) which all require a half-decent video card. I'm working on a stone-age rig. Some 6XXX video card, which just can't cut it...thing is freaking AGP!

But like others have said, now is the PERFECT time to wait. Makes me mad, because I basically can't wait any more! LOL.

Started buying my rig already...grabbed the 24" LCD (should be shipping soon) and picked up my RAM as there was a sale on that....

Once that GTX260 comes out, I'm leaning heavily towards picking one up to power me for a while, then considering getting another GTX260 for SLIing in the future (after the price drops). Any opinions?

I am playing the waiting game as well...till Fall when the shrunk process cards will be coming out. Of course I will have to get a pair of cards :p

That's not true. There are dudes like me who have a huge reason to upgrade. There are mad good games out (Crysis, CoD4, Mass Effect, Supreme Commander games, Gears of War, Assasin's Creed, HL2: Episode 2, DIRT, etc.) which all require a half-decent video card. I'm working on a stone-age rig. Some 6XXX video card, which just can't cut it...thing is freaking AGP!

But like others have said, now is the PERFECT time to wait. Makes me mad, because I basically can't wait any more! LOL.

Started buying my rig already...grabbed the 24" LCD (should be shipping soon) and picked up my RAM as there was a sale on that....

Once that GTX260 comes out, I'm leaning heavily towards picking one up to power me for a while, then considering getting another GTX260 for SLIing in the future (after the price drops). Any opinions?

Well, just keep in mind that if you go SLI you must buy an nForce chipset so if you do decide to go SLI, you will also go down that path for motherboard (if you are set on dual GPU setups though).

Thats kind of the boat I'm in right now as well - I want a dual GPU setup for my 30" monitor so I'm passing down my IP35 Pro (best motherboard I've ever owned) and doing an overhaul of my system in the process (along with a water cooling loop ;)) so once I get full reviews of the 4870's performance, I'll decide if I want to go CrossFire or SLI which then tells me which motherboard I'm getting. I will say though that the poor 45nm quad support on the 780i meaning I have to go 790i and endure DDR3 prices isn't as pleasing as guaranteed 45nm quad support for X48 boards...

Well, just keep in mind that if you go SLI you must buy an nForce chipset so if you do decide to go SLI, you will also go down that path for motherboard (if you are set on dual GPU setups though).

Thats kind of the boat I'm in right now as well - I want a dual GPU setup for my 30" monitor so I'm passing down my IP35 Pro (best motherboard I've ever owned) and doing an overhaul of my system in the process (along with a water cooling loop ;)) so once I get full reviews of the 4870's performance, I'll decide if I want to go CrossFire or SLI which then tells me which motherboard I'm getting. I will say though that the poor 45nm quad support on the 780i meaning I have to go 790i and endure DDR3 prices isn't as pleasing as guaranteed 45nm quad support for X48 boards...

Yea nVidia chipsets leave things to be desired. Although the 750i chipsets are garunteed 45NM quad support I'm pretty sure.

However, they also have that video bug which plagues people very rarely, but plagues them none-the-less.

Well I'm hoping their revision models come out soon or at least BIOS fixes. I remember the initial 680i reference boards were killing memory modules like nothing else but the revision models ended up working well. They just kind of lied about 45nm support

Isnt it just a rumour that a nvidia 55nm die-shrink will be out this fall?
People talk like its a fact.

i always play the waiting game for every 4 years .

Usually every 4 years than a huge gap will be more noticable. There is no video card that made me want to upgrade before every 4 years all the time.

also by that time usually everything change too like cpu , motherboard, ram, and stuff.

I tend to buy the best at that time so by the time i change. it becomes a average computer. If I was suppose to buy a video card every year that would be expensive as hell seeing the prices nowaday.

I meant that there are no new games coming out until the fall that would require an upgrade. If you can play all the games you listed smoothly today then you can definitely wait awhile to upgrade your computer, since nothing new will come out for a few months. However, for people in your case, you have a good reason to upgrade since you can't really play today's games.

e2200 / 8800gs Im waiting until the 4870x2 comes out so I can finally decide on a serious expensive gpu.

Imo, right now (e.g. June/July/August - depending on when each of the new video cards actually becomes available) is a quite good time for getting a new computer.
We are still some time away from new CPU's, new GPU's arrived and we dont really know when next ones (likely die-shrinks of current ones) will come out.

If you wait 3+ months we get really close to Nehalem launch, and suddenly its worth it to wait even longer.

From my point of view, its either a new pc this summer, or in the first months of 2009 when Nehalem becomes available (and then you risk wanting to wait 'just a couple of months' for new video cards etc. etc.)

This is from a high end point of view though, for a budget pc, it might be wise to wait for the upcoming price drops on intel CPUs, and the (hopefully) small price war between AMD&Nvidia.

I have been playing playing the "I'm a broke college student" waiting game for the last 2/3 years :p
I haven't done any real upgrade on the PC I build in ~early 2005, except 6600gt -> 8600gt and added a HDD or two.

I'm looking at getting a Q9450/Q9400, 4GB's of DDR2/3, and a 4870 in early August depending on pricing.
I am getting very excited :D

I'm waiting till the 4870x2.. by then, we should all conclusively know which is the best performance / price ratio of all expected top cards.. b/c we should have the GTX280/260, HD4850/4870, HD4870x2, previous 9 Series cards to be judged upon each other.

Plus, I am not playing any urgent games at the moment that require bleeding edge graphics, and the only game I'm hugely waiting for the fall is coming soon, Warhammer Online ;)

I'm sure i'll see some [H]otDeals on them too till then that will make the deal even sweeter!

I'm waiting till my computer sells on Craigslist. then I'm waiting till I go off to school so I don't wast my entire summer in front of a screen....again.

Always fun to be on the verge of building a new rig.

Plus, I am not playing any urgent games at the moment that require bleeding edge graphics, and the only game I'm hugely waiting for the fall is coming soon, Warhammer Online ;)
That's actually all I really care about either haha

How is the Warhammer Beta? I applied brand SPANKING early, and I have previous Beta experience, but I didn't get in yet, I'll give you one guess as to why!

My freakin' tin-can box machine! They know it could never handle this game LOL.

Anyways, what side do you plan on playing? We should group up mang, I have a dedicated small group of people going into this badboy. 6 man groups are badass...no more waiting around for that "perfect toon" to log in (DAoC as you guessed, hehe).

I wonder if I should wait for the GT200b, I wonder if there is going to be any improvement over the current GT200's we have now.

If not, I think I'm going to get a 9800 GX2.

Back