playing PAL dvds

gtpanzer

n00b
has anyone had any experience playing European (PAL) dvds on the computer? do you need a special player? is it even possible?

The only thing that could hinder you would be the disk region. Tha fact that it's PAL shouldn't matter to a PC.

The DVD region would be your limit here and not the format of PAL itself, get Slysoft's AnyDVD ;)

I used a DVD "extracting" utility to force a copy of the data from a PAL DVD I bought in Germany. Once you get this far, you can play it off the HDD or burn to a DVD. Might not be what you're looking for, but it has the benefit of allowing you to play it on a standalone DVD player.

I believe you can find hacked firmwares for most DVD drives out there to make them region free. but what I did when I bought a DVD for my mom off eBay from the uk was just burn rip and burn it region free onto a DVD-R.

again, get vlc, vlc ignores the region code on your drive and on the dvd
and its free

Like other have said, u should play Pal DVDs on pc without problems, i live in a "PAL" country :p and i play NTSC DVD or PAL or even Secam on my pc without problem.. but i have a RPC1 region free firmware..
Didn't know that vlc ignore those region codes , thanks for the info, it really helps with DVDROM without Region free firmware.. i was recommending DVD Region+CSS Free for friends who had this problem..

Back